PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Armor, or MAX

Unregistered
2002-10-08, 01:02 PM
Well after last nights Dev chat, I am left with Quite a delima.....

I had always planned on joining the Terrian Republic, and spitting some lead in a MAX suit, but after finding out a bit more about the MAX and the diffrences between each empires MAX suits I'm having second thoughts.

The VS MAX seems to be a lot more manuverable, at the expense of some shielding. The mobility sounds very atractive, but is it worth the loss of armor, and the slower rate of fire?

Then there is the NC MAX that has more shields, and does heavier damage.......The devs didn't really go into the draw backs for the NC MAX, but I'd assume it has a slowest rate of fire out of the 3.

What do you think? Who's got the best set up?

Hamma
2002-10-08, 01:28 PM
Not enough info to decide myself, id say terran, because thats where i want to go haha.

btw, you spelled terran wrong ;)

Unregistered
2002-10-08, 01:38 PM
Damn, the spellchecker must be broken again :(

Shiver
2002-10-08, 02:19 PM
The VS suit will surely have it's uses with the limited jumpjet ability, when the front door of an enemy base is heavily gaurded, the entire compound will be their backdoor ... however I see the MAX suits as mainly combat based, I'd like to be sitting in something with more firepower if i dawned myself such a suit.

The Terran MAX's anchor sounds fantastic, but IMO it makes the wearer a little too prone to attack. When faced up against one of the New Viet Cong suits, I have a feeling that the increased rate of fire would be pretty much cancelled out by the NC spherical force shield. With the NC MAX's ability to circle strafe the terrans in the open (with heavier firepower), I see them having the upperhand. There will hopefully be a faster ROF weapon for the NC MAX's to use ...

My vote goes to NC until i see them all in action (the devs will surely try to make all the suits equally useful, so its only my opinion really) ... then again, I'm bias :cool:

Zarparchior
2002-10-08, 04:42 PM
It all depends on a lot of things...

1. How long does it take the TR MAX to anchor?
2. How fast and how high can the VS MAX run/jump/dodge?
3. How much less armor/firepowerdoes the VS MAX have?
4. How much more durable is the NC MAX?
5. Would the TR MAX still be able to shoot closer range targets without a huge penalty?
6. The cooldown (if any), raw offensive power, and ammo capacity (if any) of the weapons for all the MAXs?

I'd say if the VS MAX is extremely fast and powerful, it would be better.
I'd say if the NC MAX is extremely shielded and powerful, it would be the better.
I'd say if the TR MAX can anchor fast and has a limited use at short range un-anchored, it would be better.

So... as you can guess, I'd have to follow Hamma on this one. Not enough info.

Shiver
2002-10-08, 04:51 PM
You can see exactly how long the TR MAX takes to anchor (even time it if you wish) in this movie (http://www.planetside-universe.com/downloads/trhevRender.mov) from the PSU Media pages. I agree with you guys overall, like i said we'll have to see them all in action to find out which one we truly prefer. I'm just going off first impressions :cool:

Unregistered
2002-10-08, 05:06 PM
That's one of the tough things with MMOLRPG games (or any RPG game for that matter) is that it's tough to know what you might enjoy the most when you start out.

What would be really cool is if there was a little "Prep-Time" where a player could try out the diffrent MAX suits (or any other vechicle/weapon) before they commited to an Empire.

It's sort of like trying to figure out weather you want a Ford, Dodge, or Chevy Truck without ever test driving any of them. Their all funtional, but it's the suttle diffrences that determine which one you buy.

Hamma
2002-10-08, 05:11 PM
I knew i wanted my truck before i got it :D

But, he mentioned last night there will be soem VR training centers.. that may allow you to try out the armors ;)

Unregistered
2002-10-08, 05:16 PM
That seemed more like it came after you had commited to an Empire.......

Zarparchior
2002-10-09, 10:28 AM
I guess you could always go traitor... :rolleyes:

But I agree with ya. There should be some sort of basic training that you can try most of the empire specific stuff.

Hamma
2002-10-09, 11:11 AM
Indeed.

Unregistered
2002-10-09, 12:00 PM
Well all I know for sure is that whatever i decide on (most likely the TR) I'm gonna have a great time killing people with it.

eMaGyN
2002-10-09, 02:00 PM
I want to be the blue and yellow people :)

is that NC?
I think that is NC...

:D

:love:
eMa

Zarparchior
2002-10-09, 04:13 PM
In terms of cool-factor, the Terrans are the tyrants.
In terms of my general playing style, NC is a blast.
In terms of where most people are going, Vanu is no vagrant.

The thing that bothers me the most is that Vanu has access to fast firing, explosive, and shotgun weapons via the common pool while having the comfy energy weapons. NC and TR weapons in the common pool kind of overlap their specialties (Power hoss/rapid fire respectively). They need to throw in an energy common pool weapon for it be balanced...

Great, I've already figured out something wrong with balance issues... Methinks I spend too much time thinking. :(

Hamma
2002-10-09, 04:59 PM
lol, im sure the balancing will be ok.

There will always be one or 2 weapons completely crazy at the start, but it will be fixed. I doubt there would be an entire empire thats unbalanced O_O

Unregistered
2002-10-10, 12:19 PM
It seems to me like they have put a lot of thought into balence issues. In the Dev chat the other night they mentioned nerfing over populated empires, and giving bonus' to the other empires.

Tobias
2002-11-25, 10:17 AM
I think the VS suit will be the best.

Airlift
2002-11-25, 11:44 AM
Balance is impossible to predict. Rough concepts like group X will have more armor/firepower/agility are irrelevant in the absense of quantifiable data. Quantifiable data is irrelevant in the absense of game mechanics as context. Game mechanics are irrelevant in the absense of human players to use and abuse the system. Hopefully, the beta tests for planetside will hammer out the balance enough to avoid making a lot of arbitrary changes to the initial equipment set after release.

�io
2002-11-25, 11:54 AM
As stated we need more info but i think the Vanu MAX would be the one i like best. The way i see it any MAX is already got good firepower and armor so intead of having even more armor or firepower why not get some mobility? :)

Unregistered
2002-11-25, 12:00 PM
Wow!

This is an old thread. Funny thing is I never voted in my own poll. I'm leaning twords the TR MAX right now, but I like Dio's argument about the arrmor, and fire power vs Mobility.

:D

Tobias
2002-11-25, 12:05 PM
The mobility and the limited jump pack will give the Vanu MAX the advantage in combat it needs to kick all the other MAx suits arse's. The Shield on the NC might be nice, and i see no real advantage with the TR max ancohoring and giving itself a 60 degree fire ach for a few mmore shells.

�io
2002-11-25, 12:12 PM
Well the anchor thingy is more a defense skill the way i see it. In mid combat it won't be very safe since anybody can sneak behind you into your blind spot and shoot you up. But a few TR MAX's anchored in front of their base would make excellent defense.

sYn pHrEAk
2002-11-25, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered

Well after last nights Dev chat

Wow! This is an old thread.

PHEW i thought i had missed something.... i was like DEV CHAT?!?! LAST NIGHT?!?! :eek: :confused:

Hamma
2002-11-25, 12:28 PM
We will be hearing more about MAX armors in a future installment of the Dev Interviews ;)

Tobias
2002-11-25, 12:28 PM
I brought it back to life cause more people are here, so more people to discuss it, or maybe i was board and looking though threads i thought could have more attention.

Unregistered
2002-11-25, 12:44 PM
Well thanks for bumping it. It's good to see some of my more well thought out threads brought back to life. Now all we need to do is find the ones about Implants, and grenades.

(oh, and Tobias, I thought you were looking for a poll you hadn't taken yet :D)

Tobias
2002-11-25, 12:46 PM
Unregistered! Would i bumb a thread from the last page just because it had the word Vanu in it and it was a Poll i had not yet taken and commented on? Really now.

Oks so that is the reason....but the Vanu suit is gonna pwn the others. DFA!

NapalmEnima
2002-11-25, 01:10 PM
I think the NC MAX will be quite a bit more potent than this poll might lead you to believe.

The NC MAX has a force field. That, plus the stamina-shield-thingy implant, and you're going to have a heck of a time damaging it.

The opposite will not be true. NC likes big guns. The shots of the NC MAX have three different barrels on one arm. Boom.

Tobias
2002-11-25, 01:16 PM
The NC will be secound best. And there is not really a stamina shield, the NC are just so high they dont think they are getting hurt

"I feel no pain!"

�io
2002-11-25, 01:17 PM
Yeah but like we said we don't have all the info. If the NC does indeed have excellent firepower and armor i'm guessing that means very low rate of fire and mobilty.

Airlift
2002-11-25, 01:19 PM
You don't need to bump old posts about implants, the old rule of thumb still applies: If you can touch them, they're real.:D :D :D :eek: :love:

Tobias
2002-11-25, 01:21 PM
I touched them, and she said they were real, but i dont think they were, how does a girls boobies get that much bigger in just a few weeks?

�io
2002-11-25, 01:26 PM
Tobias you touched Britney's melons?!?

:p

Tobias
2002-11-25, 01:31 PM
Drunkeness gives consent.

"She did not say you could!"

"She did not say I couldent."

Unregistered
2002-11-25, 01:38 PM
One of the Female posters here asked that question as a joke when we were taking suggestions for the Dev Interview.

(Can I get Breast Implants in the Game?)

Tobias
2002-11-25, 01:42 PM
And of course the Devs proably said:

"Only if we can touch them"

Unregistered
2002-11-25, 01:47 PM
We didn't submit her question, but I doubt they would say that to her. Dave likes her cause she was one of the only Moderators of the Tribes 2 in game forums that actually did her job.