PDA

View Full Version : Player Persistence

RocketFodder
2002-10-15, 11:53 AM
We've talked a bit about how rank will affect appearances with the new batch of weapon screenshots. We know that the more dominant the secondary color becomes, the higher rank an officer is. This is one of the best things about PlanetSide--persistence. When you create a character, you create your online avatar for all your in-game wiles. You'll have customization. Rank. Stats. A history, once you spend enough time in game. A reputation.

One thing, however, is what the rest of you will look like. How different will everyone look? Will implants be visible? How cool would that be--each character not only has their own personality, but also a unique configuration to provide a more "custom" look in-game. I realize it'd be too difficult to have a million options for everyone to go nuts with, but with a few sets of model/skin changes for different things, you could get an exponential increase in possibilites for what characters look like.

In the games we've seen so far--Tribes, Halo, Counter-Strike, SoF2, BF1942--you basically just pick a model and go with it, having tons of people that all look the same. Cookie-cutter soldiers. However, this isn't really a problem since none of these games are even remotely persistant. Unless you always play with one server and one name, each time you log on you're a different person. There's no identity. Planetside, however, is the first FPS offering players this option. We've seen some pretty crazy customization with RPGs in the past, as they seek to really immerse the player in who they are, what they are, and what they do. This is a liberty enjoyed with ongoing characters. With PlanetSide, how do you feel this should be handled? I'd like to see the ability to make your character YOUR character. What do you guys think?

Hamma
2002-10-15, 12:53 PM
I think your character should be very customisable, and I am hoping this is the case. Given its persistance, I would not want to see a bunch of "clones" running around fighting, it would be allot better to identify people by their looks. :D

Shiver
2002-10-15, 01:18 PM
Nice post RF, I've thought about that whilst looking at a few of the screenshots ...

Verant would be a little behind in the persistence stakes if every male/female character per empire looked exactly the same. How are you meant to forge a name for yourself and then be unable to stand out in the crowd?

Another MMO launched recently, with EA keen to sell the product on it's character and ship customization. I'm sure at least a few other people noticed the free character creation demo floating around fileplanet for Earth and Beyond. Needless to say I downloaded it out of curiosity (and had no plans to buy the game).

The community may like something along the lines of SWG's extensive proposed character creation setup (which looks very nice from what I've seen), but I doubt we can see it happening. As everyone will generally be wearing armour there is little need to be able to change most bodily appearances bar weight, however the ability to at least slightly change your characters facial features is a must.

Neocron came out ok offering a number of different head models per class and how it turned out was acceptable. I would be perfectly fine with having a good number of heads to choose from if there wasn't time to add anything more intricate before launch. I would however prefer to see a few sliders to select things like skin tone, eye color (I want to see the green in my opponents eyes before they fall to the floor :cool: ) and maybe a few facial/eyebrow/nose/mouth shapes. That would make me a happy customer.

Unregistered
2002-10-15, 01:34 PM
Wow,

Good posts!!

It would be nice to be able to have some sort of Customization, like in Morrowind, but it won't stop me from buying it if they don't.

eMaGyN
2002-10-15, 01:42 PM
PS will not offer any sort of skinning though will it?

Tribes was customizable in the aspect that you could create skins for yourself...

:love:
eMa

Hamma
2002-10-15, 02:40 PM
Skinning creates cheats :[

RocketFodder
2002-10-15, 03:32 PM
rgr, no skinning, but might as well make the most of our last bastion of creative expression--the face!

The~Analog~Kid
2002-10-18, 12:13 AM
I'm afraid our avatars in-game won't be as customizable as we're all hoping for. Games like EQ, DAoC, Anarchy Online, Neocron, SWG, etc. are NOT fast-paced shooters (they're basically beefed up chat rooms with really nifty graphical interfaces, heh) and thus they can afford to load a ton of graphics so that everyone can express themselves differently. But you guys know what that means... mad slowdowns. Anyone ever played AO and walked into a busy section of Newland City? The frame rate drops into the toilet as your system tries to load all the textures for the clothes that the other players are wearing. Imagine that happening in UT or CS, ugh! Since PlanetSide is being billed as a MMOFPS, I hope it will be played at a much faster pace than those MMORPGs. That means cookie-cutter skins for the most part. Ah well, I plan on distinguishing myself through my style of play :p

Party on!

Hamma
2002-10-18, 06:58 AM
This is a good point :ugh:

Ir0nRaven
2002-11-09, 08:47 PM
All good points. I think that the interface used with Earth & Beyond was awesome. It was the only good part of the game (I BETA stressed it -- net code SUX, lag is terrible, never buy it). You could add tatooes, there were about 5 different head shapes, head skins, and you could change how heavy and tall your character was. It was incredibly cool.

However, it's a good point that this is an FPS game more than a roleplaying game. Therefore, I don't think the visuals will be a big thing for me. I play CS just fine with cookie cutter soldiers, and don't really have trouble identifying my friends when i play with them (i know how they move, etc).

Also, think of custom skins. That would require that <i>every</i> player download <i>all</i> the skins. That would be like downloading a whole new patch. It'd be impossible.

So, basically, either way, i don't mind. It'd be a nice addition, but wouldn't affect my decision to buy it or not.

jamikey
2002-11-09, 09:08 PM
I'ts not going to effect my decision to buy it or not, but it would be cool to customise SOMETHING. Even if it is just a medal you can wear on your chest, or stripes to show rank. I just want to step on to the battle field and see my teamates cheer with confidence by my presence, and my enemy's roll into a ball and start wimpering with fear.

stick100
2002-11-09, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by jamikey
I just want to step on to the battle field and see my teamates cheer with confidence by my presence,

True we all want this but to be honest do you think it will be the exact way you look, or some little name hanging over your head that will tell everyone who you are. Yes I agree that it would be nice to have very very customizable characters, and yes it can be done without creating tons of network or frame rate lag (such as sending a a 512 bit length message per player whenever you zone in, then updating when someone else zones in), but I think that should not be a high priority. I think getting all the weapons and vechiles up and ready should be, and getting the game stable should be the top priority.

jamikey
2002-11-09, 10:32 PM
Good point stick. If it comes down to playabilitey and customization then id rather have a more stable game and less customizing. But these post are here so we can share our thoughts,hopes,and feelings so in a perfect world stick,youll be able to wear those pink panties on your head when entering the battle field.(now thats customizing a character)..j/k..lol But if its not very customable I guess well all get over it. =)

Tobias
2002-11-11, 12:53 PM
I would like something like wearing dress uniforms while in the orbital platform. You have your uniform and epulets with rank on them show your CEP rank, while medals show BEP, and what kind (like a fighter ace medal for shooting down say 500 NME fighters) or a life savers medal or honor medal for healing XXXX number of health points when in a combat heavy area. these would be on your chest or on a bandler if you have tons of them. Also lets you show off your face. If you wanted you could have shortsleeves and have a tatoo of your outfit on your arm, as well as one of your empire if you wanted as well. That would be cool yes.

I for one would not want to be a commander who was eeasy to spot as a high ranking comander in the field cause then every sniper and his brother are gonna be gunning for you, unless you command from like a tank/apc or plane. Something would be nice though.

http://jeeptalk.org/crack/smilies/contrib/blackeye/snipersmilie.gif