PDA

View Full Version : Usa Must Help Planetside!!!!!

Nohimn
2002-10-24, 07:30 PM
Recently, the Korean government created a law effective 2 months from now. The law states simply that MMOGs that involve PKing is ADULTS ONLY. This cuts the mmog gaming population in half. Asia is where a lot of profits are made in the gaming industry, so this is definetly a stab in the gut to most mmogs!! This comes as a threat towards games like planetside. We MUST help the MMOG community!! Play the games, get all your friends to play, and TRY to compensate!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Kaikou
2002-10-24, 07:36 PM
yeah but don't forget lots of parents world wide really don't care what its rated as long as it doesn't have sex in it :p

Nubi
2002-10-24, 08:09 PM
for Christ's sake cmon, it's NOT that dificult to acquire a M rated game even if you're under 18

I was at an EB the other day (I'm 16, btw) buying an M rated game and the guy at that counter goes:

Guy at Counter: Are you 18?

Me: No

Guy at Counter: I can't sell you this game then

Me: Oh ok

Other Guy at Counter: Dude just sell him the damn game and get the money

*Me walks out with his game*

Nohimn
2002-10-24, 08:24 PM
Those are only notices to parents. THIS IS LAW. And on top of that, there is an important server mentioned to be in Korea during one of the interviews.

Kaikou
2002-10-24, 09:00 PM
well..when you think about it..there are probably more 18+ year olds that play games than 17- year olds...

Metacom
2002-10-24, 10:17 PM
just get your freaking parents to buy its, damn its thats simple...u give them the money they buy it.

Validuz
2002-10-25, 01:50 AM
OMFG!

I wish you had to be 18 to play these games. These 12 and 13 year olds ruin the game.

Hamma
2002-10-25, 07:12 AM
:lol:

Noxx
2002-10-25, 09:43 AM
Thats a harsh sterotype. I myself am 14 but do not see myself even NEAR the immaturity of some other, maybe even older people.

Metacom
2002-10-25, 09:46 AM
and then you get some younger kids who are too cocky.

"a wise man knows much but says little, a ignorant man knows little but says much." -Unknown

Nohimn
2002-10-25, 07:11 PM
The problem is whether or not younger kids can play it!! It's about the fact that it's killing mmogs. I can care less about the next 12-year-old!! It was mentioned during a dev interview that they have a major server in Korea. Half the mmog players in Korea happen to be under 18. This cuts that number in half!! It is something to worry about! AND IT IS LAW!!!! You cannot buy it with a parent at the counter!! The reason they did this is because they feel that PKing encourages muggings. I think it's bullshit, but all I'm saying is the US needs to compensate!

Validuz
2002-10-26, 12:15 PM
No.

Kaikou
2002-10-26, 12:51 PM
well again...there will be plenty of kids playing the game in Korea...I can't remember the last time people actually followed laws that put restrictions on what you are allowed to buy at what age. If worse comes to worse, the parents will most likely buy for their kids if they believe their kids are responsible, which I think should be the case. We don't need irresponsible kids getting ideas that killing is fun.

Hamma
2002-10-26, 01:05 PM
Yea I bought Kai some Liquor last night so its all good.

Noxx
2002-10-26, 01:12 PM
Wasn't there also a time when people gave a rats ass about movie ratings?

Zarparchior
2002-10-26, 03:50 PM
To Korea: My sincerest apologies. They probably took the American Government's lead and have orgasms when they prevent kiddies from having fun. :(

To Noxx: Unfortunately, most kids your age are idjits (Idiot midjits ;)). A few of them, like you, are probably even more intelligent and mature then the majority of the adult population... but it seems those old timers enjoy nothing more than limiting kids in everyway possible. I'd know. I may be 18, but I still can't do anything... except die for my country or cast a single vote. Of course, they probably rip up my ballot and laugh their asses silly when they see I just meet the bare minimum. :mad:

In closing: Age = Experience. Nothing more. You aren't more intelligent, wise, or all-knowing when you reach a certain age. You don't know fire burns until you burn yourself. You can't tell someone not to touch fire and expect them to just nod their head unquestioningly. You have to play around a little and singe yourself. Making it illegal to play certain games and/or drink certain beverages only makes it that much tougher on the individual when that age is attained. Meaning, when you reach that magicol age of 21, you're very likely going to get rip-roarin' drunk the first few nights - everynight. Why? Because, this is the FIRST time in your life you CAN. Theoretically, you shouldn't even know what it tastes like yet, let alone know how much you can drink before the point of no return. True, some people don't do this. They're part of the mature population.

I think I needn't explain myself any further. Everyone probably already agrees or disagrees with what I'm saying. :cool:

Metacom
2002-10-27, 04:41 AM
alot of people in america dont have anything better than to play games, we all like to spend money.

Flashingfish
2002-10-27, 02:20 PM
Well in England that "magical age" is 18 ;)

And what do people in the USA have to compensate for? If you wanted people to compensate for the loss of Korean players surely you don't want to ignore us Europeans?

In Greece games all eletronic games are banned (or something) and in Germany you can't have games where you kill people. This isn't affecting any games, even though Germany is a prosperous country and so is Greece (well...maybe :) .

Oh, and I'm 15 =]

Hamma
2002-10-27, 06:26 PM
Again I doubt this will stop people under that age from playing :p

Nohimn
2002-10-28, 05:11 PM
Fine, not JUST america. I wish I can change the name of this thread! Well, I know that little Korean kids WILL get their hands on this game, but other kids can't, and because this is half of MMOG players in Korea, it is something to worry about. They apparently think that any kid below 18 is far too impressionable to play these games. That's bullshit. Maybe if they are 9, then we have something to worry about. People in Korea took the easy way out in blaming MMOGs for criminal acts. Why? Because a lot of criminals play these games! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?! It's Asia! Everyone plays videogames!! I really think that this was only done due to a lack of common sense. This wasn't really meant to be a discussion, more of a signal to everyone saying we MUST compensate. An interview revealed that Planetside was meant to have a major server in Korea, so that is what I'm worried about! Just get your friends to play it, that's all I ask of.

Hamma
2002-10-28, 05:26 PM
If not for gaming I would not be the Nazi admin I am today!

Jarvis
2002-10-28, 09:25 PM
:rolleyes:

Unregistered
2002-10-28, 09:50 PM
:nazi:

Validuz
2002-10-29, 04:19 AM
we should all get fingerprint identifiers with the game... and even should have to login and "finger scan" and every 30 mins to secure 18 years old and up only playing

/me wakes up...

damn dreams

Flashingfish
2002-10-30, 05:48 PM
Why 18 and up?

Please tell me you're not stereotyping. I'll happily say I'm 15, but I'm not a stereotypical teenager who plays counter strike all day and swears constantly.

The sad fact is that stereotype is for the most part true :(

Zarparchior
2002-10-30, 06:36 PM
I'm 18 now, so you're obviously going to hear me say screw the wee-uns. I had to go through the wait, they do too.

Of course, that's not true, otherwise I'd be a hypocrite. I was VERY mature when I was younger. In fact, the difference between when I was 15 and when I was 18 is nearly zero. I'm just slightly taller now and perhaps a bit more bitter. Still as idealistic as ever... but that's another story.

I agree with ya Fish. Instead of limiting it by age, they should limit by maturity... maybe have a "maturity test" or something, though I can see far too many problems with that. :p

Nohimn
2002-10-30, 07:31 PM
To tell you the truth, I am 13, and I am over 6 feet tall. Don't call me a midget!

Hamma
2002-10-30, 07:41 PM
I am 8.

:eek:

Tolvy
2002-10-30, 07:55 PM
I am -2 ;)

Unregistered
2002-10-30, 07:59 PM
I'm 4 in Dog Years.

Zarparchior
2002-10-31, 11:53 AM
I'm 9/50 of a Century old... Man does time fly.