PDA

View Full Version : Awaiting Beta? Play NS!

Zarparchior
2002-11-06, 02:08 PM
God... what a great game. I suggest everyone play it. :D

www.natural-selection.org

It's a half-life mod, for those who are curious. It is well worth the download time if you have a 56k. If you have a better connection, then what the hell are you complaining for? :p

Unregistered
2002-11-06, 02:28 PM
If only I had Half Life installed.

Zarparchior
2002-11-06, 02:32 PM
You DON'T have Half-life?! OMG! What happened?! Did someone tie you up and threaten to kill kittens if you got it? If that's the case, it's forgivable. :D

Well, it's cheap anyway. Dirt cheap. You could buy it if you want. Hell, I'd buy it for you if I could...

Of course, I play this because Beta will pass me by, unwilling. :(

Unregistered
2002-11-06, 03:02 PM
Back when Half Life came out I borrowed a friends copy and played it. I even bought Opposing Forces and played that.

But you have to understand that durring that time I was playing Tribes, and I was leading my own clan. Back when I played Tribes (That's Tribes, not T2) it was sacreligous to even speak of oither games much less admit to playing anything else.

Tribes 2 was the same way for a very long time. Hell I just recently (in the last 2 weeks) took my T2 CD out of the drive. It felt creepy, like I was cheating on my Girl Friend or something.

Tobias
2002-11-06, 03:17 PM
Tribes 1 was very cool, very nice game, tribes 2 i played for about 3 weeks, usally using invise on a server that had a shotgun to kill justabout everyoe and get in top 5 score or highest score (alot) it was cheap as hell of me but hey it worked, i felt cool, but then i stoped playing ause tribes two sucks, and i was a eq adict sience beta (eq that is) so i had that to fall back on hehe

Warborn
2002-11-06, 03:20 PM
I have terrible luck with Half-Life. I've bought it three times, somehow managing to lose the CD each time. I've never lost any other game -- just Half-Life. It's irritating as hell. Natural Selection sounds like fun though, so I guess I'll buy it for a fourth time.

eMaGyN
2002-11-06, 03:49 PM
I miss running my own clan :(

/me cries

eMa

Hamma
2002-11-06, 03:57 PM
I refuse to run half life, its time for that damn engine to go away :p

Zarparchior
2002-11-07, 02:42 PM
The hell you say Hamma. :D

NS has GOT to be one of the most fun games I've ever played.

Ever.
(Just thought I'd emphasize that :cool: )

RTS + FPS. How can you go wrong? The only buggy thing is that you get stuck every so often as an Onos (Too damn big) or Gorge (if you build a structure on top of yourself), but it is a small price to pay for this beloved game. I needed another CD Key, so I had to go out and buy it... again... (I feel your pain all too well Warborn :()

$9.99 fools! Can you not afford that? If you pick up change that you find on the street for a few weeks you can buy this for christ sake.

The gameplay is awesome... This is the only FPS I know at this time that uses teamwork. Counter-Strike? Ha ha... very funny. Might as well be Team Deathmatch on any other FPS of your choice, except with slightly more realistic damage. This is also the first game I've used voice communication. I can't believe I ever typed when trying to coordinate anything with other people before. It really makes teamwork a lot easier to just say "JEEZUS! BEHIND YOU!" instead of, 'b' 'e' 'h' 'i' 'n' - oh wait... your're dead. Too bad...

If you're bored, I suggest you at least try it Hamma. Just make sure you have teamates that IQ excels that of the average 10 year old FPSer (Sterotyping, of course. I'm sure there is at least one smart 10 year old out there who can listen... but I haven't met them yet).

And Unreg... I know how you feel. I felt like I was cheating on EQ when I first got AO. Then I realized that is was more like dumping a beautiful albeit problematic girl for an overweight hippo of a nasty women. I quickly went back to the former and muttered sweet nothings into her ear. Relationship still didn't last, though... At least I have NS now. :D

Hamma
2002-11-07, 05:15 PM
hehe, like i said i want that engine to go away. Im not building a P4 so I can run a game that runs on a Pentium 500 ;)

Sadfre
2002-11-07, 05:16 PM
why not? Duke3D is the uberest game there is!
:clap:

RocketFodder
2002-11-07, 06:10 PM
Anyone that doesn't immediately recognize NS as the greatest game in existence isn't worthy of gaming. :o

Zarparchior
2002-11-07, 06:15 PM
So, as soon as you have a p4 - you will never lay any older games again? You sincerely have my sympathies. :(

I play a lot of my older games all the time still. Call me a purist, but it's the gameplay that makes or breaks the game, not the graphics. :)

Hamma
2002-11-07, 06:19 PM
I dont play many of my older games, I just dont like half-life and what it represents, its one of the games that makes some people think they never have to upgrade :[

Zarparchior
2002-11-09, 12:15 PM
Ah... the real reason. People will never upgrade their comps if they don't want to - regardless of game. Sure, I'd rather NS be on something other than the Half-Life engine, but it's such a great game I don't care. And it's FREE! :D

But yeah. I'll stick to talking about PS since no one here seems to give a rat's ass.

popcorn:

StrikeS
2002-11-09, 12:34 PM
I'm actually working on a big 22 person server (2 Reserved) to start. We have the server, we're just having problems installing it on the Linux Box.

If anyone's good at all with Installing Game Servers Remotely through putty gimmie a PM please for the love of God so we can get the server up and running for everyone.

War Mongrel
2002-11-09, 08:59 PM
I'm only asking this to make sure. Can you play Natural Selection if you have retail Counter Strike? I highly doubt it but I don't really want to go out and buy Half Life just to download a mod for it.

jamikey
2002-11-10, 03:48 AM
Upgrades are Vital to computers and pc gaming as a whole. Listen if pcs didn't upgrade then there'd be a bunch of us on our xbox's playing halo all day. But some people refuse to upgrade and we all get screwd becuase now developers can't push the envelope on games for fear that people won't have a machine powerful enough to use it and that would be loss of money. The console guys have an advantage this way. They can push the bar up as high as possible and never have to worry about losing money becuase of people that can't /won't buy upgraded/upgrades for there machines

DJsoixante
2002-11-10, 03:49 AM
I thought that you could still install mods with retail counter-strike, i may be wrong however so check before you buy hl.

DJ.

War Mongrel
2002-11-10, 11:57 AM
Yeah, just found out that you can play NS if you have retail CS.

TheSHiFT
2002-11-10, 04:32 PM
its not bad

Incompetent
2002-11-10, 08:49 PM
I hate Half-Life. All i ever hear is people comparing shit to half-life, going on and on about how great it is, raving about the mods. I, like the idiot i am, went out and bought the platinum pack for 70 something dollars figuring, how could i go wrong. My T2 cd came out for the first time in 3 months months (and the only reason it came out then was because i had to replace it.) The day i brought half-life home is the only day it has been installed. It holds a place of hatred surpassing even DaoC. I don't know what it is about it, maybe its the boring puzzles, maybe its the fucking platforming, maybe it's the fact tat i spent two years being bombarded with people speaking of half-life as if it were the herald of utopia and world peace but i could not stand it. I personally think System Shock 2 and Tribes 2 (i never had the pleasure of playing T1) beat the living shit out of Half-Life.

Edit:Holy Shit noones flamed me yet

RocketFodder
2002-11-10, 11:04 PM
wow, you are incompetent!

BonnieDundee
2002-11-11, 04:09 AM
Looks to me like you can't appreciate a quality FPS.

You sure you want to be following PS?

Zarparchior
2002-11-11, 12:41 PM
:D

**edit: Too elaborate, Half-Life was an EXCELLENT game for its time. I actually didn't play it until it was about 2 or 3 years old myself (or was it only 1 year? I can't remember. :confused: ) Anywho, by this time, my computer was well over the requirments. If people don't upgrade their computers because of Half-Life, I don't want to play with them on any game. They are most likely so short-sighted that their ability as a gamer is questionable. True, their are expections, but it usually is not the case.

If you dislike this game because everyone else enjoys it (you rugged individualist, you), then you have some social and most likely personality problems that need to be worked through. But, if you hate it because the single player required a low amount of skill and minimum problem solving abilities then... that's better than the former at least. Hey, you tried it. Of course, I'd have to question whether or not you suffered head truama during your earlier years.