PDA

View Full Version : how much fun is Beta testing

jamikey
2002-11-09, 12:08 AM
I heard beta testing isn't really fun at all. I heard that theres a crap load of system crashes,waiting hours just to get the test started,glitches and bugs everywhere. But still eveyone wants to get in on it. I hope they take there time picking the testers and make sure they get the most dedicated testers available. what do you guys think?

xuur
2002-11-09, 12:15 AM
I've done alot of betas. All the way back to UO and nearly every major development since (as well as a buttload of "never made it" games)

Its an interesting time. Yeah, in all honesty its a load of fun. Its also a load of work and at times can be as frustrating as anything you ever experienced.

Advantages are that you get first looks, some in game experience you get to keep when the game goes live...which can be a major advantage over those starting from square one but also costs you a bit of the 'awe' factor of seeing it live for the first time. Sometimes and especially with some of the games coming soon thats saying something (SWG & of course our own PS).

So, short answer yeah its a ton of fun if you're a very patient person. Impatient folks would be better served to wait for release (IMHO).

jamikey
2002-11-09, 12:19 AM
Ive never beta tested before. But I'm totaly ready to put in the time if Im chossen(crosses fingers),and i think it would be cool to be able to hold a skill or two over from the test. I think that way we get a little reward (other than getting to play the game before its released) for our hard work and effort.

xuur
2002-11-09, 12:27 AM
dunno bout keeping any skills but most games I've tested have some kind of reward for the testers like keeping a beta character (EQ did anyway).

I never kept those more than a week or two anyway. By then I'd usually figured out that I wanted to play a different (class) and just fragged em myself, or that I'd set the character up wrong/wrong race or stats....whatever and just wanted to start fresh.

testing is its own reward. :D

huh? huh? did that move me up the selection list?????

:O_O:

jamikey
2002-11-09, 12:30 AM
LOL. I'm ready to quit my job,kill my dog, sell my car...whatever it take to be a beta tester.

p.s maybe not kill my dog

p.s.s Know THAT moved me up the testers list..lol

xuur
2002-11-09, 12:32 AM
aww dude! not the dog!

http://members.cox.net/boba2/Sigs/bite.jpg

NapalmEnima
2002-11-09, 02:25 AM
On of my dogs just took a big dump in my bathroom. I'm ready to kill the dog.

It's time for some Korean! Anyone hungry?

Flashingfish
2002-11-09, 04:07 AM
Beta testing is not supposed to be fun. You're supposed to test the game, as indicated in the name.

Of course, the are unfourtunately a lot of people (the majority of beta testers) who simply want to beta test so they can play the game.

Dedicated followers of the game want to beta test, not primarily to have fun, but to make sure that the game they have waited for so long will not be a disaster.

So if all you want to do is see what the game is like or just want to have fun, then please don't sign up for beta. If you want to be a beta tester then you have to test the game.

MrVicchio
2002-11-09, 05:04 AM
Damn, I had my lawyer on the line too...

I want in beta for three reasons:

A: The oppurtunity to be a part of a game I feel is going to rock... damn man.. I want to be a part of it whatever way I can to make sure it launches well.

B: Educational. I have some small knowledge of computers and this adds to my knowledge base

C: I missed out on the SW:g beta.. those bastards, i want in this one.... (okay, so that one is selfish..)

Warborn
2002-11-09, 08:33 AM
Beta Testing usually makes the game a lot less fun for you than it would during the initial stages. When you're playing a buggy and imbalanced product, you have a lot of bad aspects that sort of cloud the good aspects. Warcraft 3 was an example of that. When I was testing it, there were a few major imbalances that made the game shit. Everyone would do the exact same imbalanced thing every game, and it'd be crap. As such, the MP aspect of the game was always "pretty good", not "Woah, this is some great stuff!" like it would have been had I played it from the box.

But, I will say that Beta testing is always more fun than not Beta testing, so good luck getting in :)

RocketFodder
2002-11-09, 10:17 AM
War3 was NOT balanced out of the box, nor is it even balanced today, 6+ months after release. That game had serious design issues and balance flaws from day 1, so please don't compare it to PS ;X

Hamma
2002-11-09, 11:18 AM
They are still releasing patches to fix balance :eek:

As for beta testing, phase one will be actual work, if your expecing to play and get a full experience you are going to be in for a dissapointment.

If your in it to make the game bug free on day one, and do everything in your power to help the devs release a polished game, dispite frustrations and such. You are in for some fun :D

Phase 2 and stress testing will be when players actually get to start PLAYING the game for fun :D

sPooT
2002-11-09, 11:44 AM
I think you're allowed to have fun while testing. I hope to betatest because :

Getting an initial impression of the game : would or wouldn't I even think about buying it when it goes retail. And that's only based on the general environment as I can't expect them to have a complete product in the first betatest.
Doing my share in improving the product : so that's bugsquashing and just general playtesting (if it's even possible to play).
Fun : yeah I admit it, I like to have fun in the things that I do, silly me! And finding out bugs is fun too, and if the game's a little bit playable, well that's even better :P

Jinxmasta
2002-11-09, 06:57 PM
I want to beta test not to have fun but to make sure that the game I'm going to get out of the box will be the best it can be. That's the only reason.

Jinxmasta
2002-11-09, 07:09 PM
Oh cracker jacks... I should've put that on my application! doh! I always forget stuff like that...

Flashingfish
2002-11-10, 03:33 AM
Like anyone will believe that :rolleyes:

jamikey
2002-11-10, 04:14 AM
you sound quite bitter flash ..lol