PDA

View Full Version : I gotta complaint.

MrVicchio
2002-11-09, 05:07 AM
Here goes.

The PS team is letting NOTHING out. They dont have a dev forum, they don't put ou tinfo enough... Its driving me nutz. I hate to sound like a jerk, which I am not, but this is driving this man nutz. Maybe I got spoiled from hitting other games Forums whilst they were in development, like CoH and SW:G,but a LITTLE word from the devs like once a week would really help build the hype for the game.. and calm my nervous and voracious appitite for news.

Kussy
2002-11-09, 06:56 AM
try this:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/articles.php?articleId=6

and this:
http://planetside.station.sony.com/faq.jsp

Thats a lot of information and all we know about the game yet. Much of ir can't be opened to the community cause it's not sinished yet or it will be aletred several times before or even in beta.

Even the beta has not started yet. So we have got to wait.

And there are games were you didn't know even the weapons. You ever tried to get detailed information about Neocron while development. There were realy nothing. I'm realy happy with the information i got about PS :)

Validuz
2002-11-09, 07:35 AM
I knew that bitch Rocket knew more than he was letting one ;p

MrVicchio
2002-11-09, 08:09 AM
Yeah, but that beta came outta no where IMHO. I kept up withthe game on a roughly daily basis, and I dont hit it for three days and WHAM! Submit your apps now limited time offer!

RocketFodder
2002-11-09, 10:14 AM
Not really.. Nov 2000 is the first PCG, so it was a 2-year anniversary of sorts

Hamma
2002-11-09, 11:14 AM
Now that the game will start entering the beta phase, chances are there will be more media/interviews to come. Because I totally agree with you.. in past fansites I had I actually had to hire news posters to keep up with all the previews..

Flashingfish
2002-11-09, 11:45 AM
I can't believe peopel are complainging when we have finally got beta.

Hamma
2002-11-09, 11:54 AM
People want more to wet their appetites than just a beta, remember not all of us will get in

RocketFodder
2002-11-09, 11:58 AM
rgr, FF.. really shows who was around before E3 '01 ;x

Hamma
2002-11-09, 12:02 PM
No what it shows are people who are used to a more open publicity campaign :p

OoACoO
2002-11-09, 01:28 PM
Wah Wah Wah, seen this hundreds of times. People with a monthlong attention span burning out. Eat bleach. Thxu. ;)

Gooey
2002-11-09, 01:53 PM
The media PR campaign will pretty much kick in to high gear once beta starts, but it is not like we just dropped from the sky one day and said "WOW WE ARE A NEW GAME FROM THE SKY!"

Info was around, just had to want to find it :)

OoACoO
2002-11-09, 02:28 PM
Translation: "I test PlanetSide. For $20 a month, I will secretly tell you all about it."

:D

jamikey
2002-11-09, 03:08 PM
Guys i Read in a mag that the games release is in first quarter 2003,thats ja,feb,mar. So if beta goes well the game will be going gold in two to three months ,then it ships.that means the media needs to know about this game now. Asherons call 2 already has pages devoted to it. Time planetside media boys pick up the slack

Flashingfish
2002-11-09, 03:36 PM
You believe that date? Learn not to believe in dates set by games developers ;)

MrVicchio
2002-11-09, 04:56 PM
Its not that I am ungrateful, its just... PS has been one of those games that I have to TELL people about, where as other games... everyone knwos about em... PS should be a known about game IMHO...

jamikey
2002-11-09, 08:10 PM
cLEARLY BUT THE POINT IS STILL VALID. All these other games are advetising now shouldn't this game be doing the same? especaily since its massively multi player.

stick100
2002-11-09, 10:02 PM
----------------Note this has already been posted in the thread "the game deserves WAYYY more recognition"--------------------

If you are wondering why there is little coverage and buzz about planetside it is due to marketing. In marketing there is something called the marketing widow, this is why you will see tons of information in the beggining and end of a development cycle [3 years].

In the beggining they can say whatever they want, because they are trying to get ideas from the users [forum goers] but once the game design is pretty much set in stone [although all games have design changes once they see what is fun] then the developers have no real "use" for interacting with the forum goers. And talking with forum goers may actually be detrinmental to they product sales [will be explained].

At this point many publishers [the big company, the guys with "suits"] will step in and intentionally gag the developers from talking with the forum goers. This is done to quiet the game down, so that it can come back out in a huge explosion.

For example remember what happend to planetside about a year ago? The game had no updates at all for about six monthes, then the day of E-3 they started releasing tons of information to get people interested.

As this game hits beta 2/3 and the publisher can guess that the release will be about 2-3 monthes off then the publisher will contact all the magainzes and start giving out information, start buying full page adds, start buying the right to put up posters in your local game stores and so on. At this point the game will have tons of press and the buzz will explode.

The publisher does not want buzz right now, because if people hear about a game for too long [ultima 9, duke nukem forever, diakia, Zelda 2] people just don't care anymore when the game actaully comes out. The marketing window dictates that you hype a product for about 2 monthes as much as you can then release, then continue to hype for another month of so then slowly taper it off once it looks like you are not going to sell enough more copies to justify the cost of advertising.

jamikey
2002-11-09, 10:21 PM
Once again Stick your long winded reply is wrong if that were true then asheron's call2 would stillbe unknown but they have pages in mags everywhere,same withstar trek elite force 2 and star wars nights of the old republic. Tron 2 is advertising and it isn't due for another 7 months. so In conclusion your reply is WRONG. If what your saying is marketing then thats a really bad startegy

jamikey
2002-11-09, 10:23 PM
Vechio thats a good point every game i play I always asked players if they heard about this game the same reply was given...NO =(

NapalmEnima
2002-11-09, 10:26 PM
Are you in marketing? I'm not.

But I'd be stunned to find out that different companies don't have different ideas about how things should be marketed.

Sony & Verant have obviously decided to play things close to the vest for the time being. So be it.

No amount of verbage (rhymes with garbage) in this or any other forum is going to change their minds. Venting might make you feel better. Fine. Vent away. My wife does this with me all the time. But don't expect anything to change because of it. Hope ya feel better though.

I'd say Stick100's post is pretty much dead on. Different companies/producers/whatever might move the numbers around a bit... "season to taste", but overall, It Sounds Good To Me.

IcyAssasin
2002-11-10, 01:27 AM
did you really have to quote your WHOLE post in here star?

jamikey
2002-11-10, 03:36 AM
Feel really good after that last post thanks. And of course venting doesn't change things but thats what websites are here for. And sure if the Suits at sony wanna keep the game"close to there vests" then thats there decision,but don't bring your wife into this. I Play video games and go to websites to escape peoples wives and their bitching please don't bring your cow of a wif into this website or even this post for that matter... hope you feel better...j/k..lol

jamikey
2002-11-10, 04:03 AM
Plus there "officail website" sucks you can say there trying to keep a lid on things or what ever but i'm a member of "the station"and i see how they treat star wars galaxies and other such games there websites rock they have weekly updates every week and all kinds of teammembers chatting with the local members about game situations and what not. The fact of the matter is this game doesn't get the respect it deserves period.No my saying so doesn't change things but maybe someone will read this and the post and pics, then tell his freinds about the game etc....etc...etc... just a few thoughts

p.s just joking about your wife being a cow

Tobias
2002-11-10, 10:50 AM
But starwars galaxy's is ....starwars...so you have a horde of rabid starwars fans, waiting to play. The game could suck but its starwars so every starwars fan will do like they did with the last episode, pretended the bad parts aren�t there and only recognize the good parts (the lag is so bad I cant move, but I'm a wookie with a lightsaber biznitch) same goes for EQ2 (I�m a big EQ fan, and starwars fan, but I'm not gonna play SW: G, PS and EQ 1 for me)
And jamikey, it might be safe to assume that Sony (multi billion dollar corp.) and verant (multi million dollar corp., best MMO games maker) know what they are doing with making game and advertising. Also for all those whiners that have doubts I think they know from EQ, infantry and tanarus how to make nearly lag free net code, though with so many it might be harder, with the system requirements everyone will be playing on a hell of a rig, and as their other games demonstrate they know how to make net code that makes it so one guy does not slow everyone down.

Kukanil
2002-11-10, 11:04 AM
Look, the dev chat was a blessing. You guys havnt been following the game for that long. We have gotten the handheld weapons and all the items, nades, armor abilites, and lots of other info. You should stop whining and just wait for more info like the rest of us do.

MrVicchio
2002-11-10, 11:06 AM
Its not that dude... you miss the point.

SW:G has mega hype because the Devs keep the peeps informed, same with CoH, I have been to thier forums,a nd chatted withthe devs, me little ole no one.... would be nice to get some more updates one, and hype for the game as well....

Kukanil
2002-11-10, 11:13 AM
why do we need hype now? The game still isnt out for 4 months at the least. Also, the only things they havnt shown us are the reaver gun ship, the empire spec tanks for TR/Vanu, Max weapons. It would just be SNs/movies. I mean, Hype isnt that important right now. Already, beta has drawn alot of people.... and once open beta starts, all the sites will redo their previews, so thats hype. Just give the media death machine some time.

RocketFodder
2002-11-10, 12:06 PM
CoH devs talk because they're small, and trying their best to make a mark on the scene. BTW, the game looks pretty sux, because you can only be "good," and only fight on cookie-cutter quests against AI.

SWG only has hype because:
But starwars galaxy's is ....starwars...so you have a horde of rabid starwars fans, waiting to play. The game could suck but its starwars so every starwars fan will do like they did with the last episode, pretended the bad parts aren�t there and only recognize the good parts (the lag is so bad I cant move, but I'm a wookie with a lightsaber biznitch)

Hamma
2002-11-10, 12:48 PM
Indeed, Star Wars = Star Wars

If they make underwear with Yoda on them it will sell (hell they probably do)

but none the less, As ive said before. There will probably be more publicity now that beta testing is so close.

Kukanil
2002-11-10, 02:49 PM
Also, once open beta / more stuff gets out on game sites, more people will come. THe reason they keep a shitload of stuff out for SWG is so that it apeases the horde of people who follow it. Right now, the hardcore fans number pretty small compared to the number of people that will be in open beta.

LoRdNiKoN
2002-11-10, 08:17 PM
Another reason that Star Wars has the hype that is does is because there are 250,000 people signed up for beta. Ok that is more then most MMO games will ever see in there life. It's also STAR WARS. STOP COMPLAINING!! And for the new people who haven't been following this game long there used to be a dev chat board on the PS site but they took it down along time ago when they redesigned the site. There has also been a lot of info released in the last couple months. Weapons, Vehicles, plus a couple of FAQ updates.

And the big one BETA... can you ask for anymore?? I am sorry but i have waited coming up on 2 years for that so I really don't see much more info i need except an invitation in my email.

LoRdNiKoN
*Don't run. You'll only die tired and with a bullet in your back.*

CrazyMike
2002-11-11, 04:57 PM
You think this is something to complain about? We went months without so much as a fart from the dev team.

MONTHS!

The dev chat was the first major release of information in the two years it's been public. We're days away from beta and you guys chose NOW to complain about lack of info?

Get over it.

CrazyMike

Hamma
2002-11-11, 05:07 PM
I think poeple are simply comparing to other games and their PR campaigns, compared to some this is very slow hehe. Dont forget allot of the people posting recently havent been following this game from day 1

MrVicchio
2002-11-11, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by CrazyMike
You think this is something to complain about? We went months without so much as a fart from the dev team.

MONTHS!

The dev chat was the first major release of information in the two years it's been public. We're days away from beta and you guys chose NOW to complain about lack of info?

Get over it.

CrazyMike

Yep. I will complain. And no, sorry I have a life, if the dev team doesnt want to put out much info, I aint gonna stay overtly interested in the game. Without some weekly atleast info, tibit or just a hi from the Dev team... I got better things to do.

stick100
2002-11-11, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by MrVicchio
Yep. I will complain. And no, sorry I have a life, if the dev team doesnt want to put out much info,

Have you read the dev discussion. They put out about every single bit of info they are cleared to release [I would guess]. Also did you not notice a new producers letter last week, and beta announced last week. The people in St. Loise / San Fransisco are probablly looking over beta apps this week and that is why they havn't posted "We are looking over apps it will be a while". We are all grown ups here, but if you wanna complain about a lack of info you will not find recptive customers here.

Talking to the media/fans takes valuable time away from working (time = bugs / art / features), and locks you into systems you may not be comfortable with (oh we told them that ...), so there are many good non-marketing reasons to talk to the media. Look at another one of SOE's games called Soverign that game has been on a black out since .... 2001, don't believe me look at its main site.

MrVicchio
2002-11-11, 07:00 PM
Sorry, I did say I was spoiled by some of the OTHER games comming out, like CoH and SW:G.... they have forums the devs hit, faw releases.. all ostets of feed back and hype machinary. SOE is backing PS, they should hire them a PR guy to deal with that. Thus, no lost time, and more hype = more money!

Not asking for much IMHO.

stick100
2002-11-11, 07:07 PM
they should hire them a PR guy to deal with that. Thus, no lost time, and more hype = more money!

Time is always lost, the PR guy has to talk with the developers to figure out what to do / say / release, this may not seem like much but even lightly figuring out the systems, and the info to realese to the media / fansite would sape much more dev time, then just having the devs doing it themselves with a PR guy to handle picture placement, spell checking, and e-mailing.

We don't know if SOE wants hype for PS. I don't think SOE wants hype for PS or they would be making more press dates doing things like releasing SWG and PS screen shots on the same day and putting them the same place, running duel SWG and PS adds and so on, but I think SOE wants PS to lay low until after SWG is out and sold a million copies. They don't want people thinking oh... 2 great games coming out I have to choose, they want people to think OMG starwars, then OMG look new, cool, innovative game, that like a FPS only MORE, and get people to buy both games. This is in addition to the reasons I stated for have a short marketing window before.

--Edit, moving adjectives around, I put em in the cookiest places.

MrVicchio
2002-11-11, 07:53 PM
Short marketing window my arse.

There is something else afoot here and it worries me. You don't try and pop a game on people. You scream about it from the tops of the walls and from teh sides of the mountains. Either PA isn't doing well atm despite the beta which I doubt...

OR

SOE suits don't think its going to draw that much attention. Thus not spending the money on it.

Plain and simple.

RocketFodder
2002-11-11, 08:04 PM
If you have a life, then you should be happy that you don't need to check constantly for updates on what's new.. yet.

MrVicchio, you are an idiot. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Yet, somehow, I don't think you'll leave. Why is that?

OoACoO
2002-11-11, 08:09 PM
Yep. I will complain. And no, sorry I have a life, if the dev team doesnt want to put out much info, I aint gonna stay overtly interested in the game. Without some weekly atleast info, tibit or just a hi from the Dev team... I got better things to do.

Good. Have fun with that. Don't bitch at us over shit we've heard a thousand times.

Hamma
2002-11-11, 08:35 PM
:|

well on the bright side our interview should be coming up this week :love:

Hilger
2002-11-11, 08:37 PM
He's saying that there's something wrong with the game because it isn't hyped?

CrazyMike
2002-11-12, 12:12 AM
Although this will no doubt be taken as a personal insult, I will say it anyways.. It's guys like this that stopped the information flow in the first place. We USED to get monthly screen shots not so long ago. Part of the reason we stopped getting them is because within minutes of thier release either people would post about how they suck and how let down there were, or would instantly cry and whine that the devs aren't doing enough to get us info.

The simple fact is gaming communities aren't mature enough to warrant a constant release of info.

When they DO tell us some info and then later on have to change it, immediately there is all out havoc in the community about how the devs are ruining the game because feature XYZ just HAS to be there.. Basically Dave and the others aren't going to tell us shit now until they are damn sure it's finalized in the game.

We have no one to blame but ourselves for the lack of info. It's not thier fault guys like this have an attention span of 5 seconds.

CrazyMike

Lexington_Steele
2002-11-12, 12:59 AM
I am not worried and you shouldn't be either (directed at all those who are worried). If the game is good, I am sure it will catch on. They have like 5-6 months to get a good marketing campaign going anyways.

There is no need for them to try to compete with all the holiday game release madness. You know I wouldn't be suprised if an ad campaign didn't start until february.

So just sit back and enjoy the updates as they come.

MrVicchio
2002-11-12, 03:56 AM
Guys, you misunderstand where I am commng from.

I DONT TRUST SOE/VERANT.

Look at what happened to SW:G. It used to be Galactic Civil War. Now its an Empire Divided. Why?

They were afraid that someone might get thier feelings hurt during PvP. So it went from what looked to be a pretty Robust PvP system beased around the Galatic Civil War (You know, like the movies)

Into a sort of Carebear game with some PvP on the side... eh?

So if I am skeptikal of SOE/Verant, I have reason. Thats why I want more info, so if we start seeing anything like that, it can get stepped on by the community.

I guess maybe I could go away. But your right, I wont.

BonnieDundee
2002-11-12, 04:14 AM
I really don't care about your complaint. If you don't like it, you're welcome to leave.

I, on the other hand, am quite willing to wait another bunch of months for any kind of information. After all, we've all got lives, so there really isn't any complaining to do.

And anyway, who cares if you stay interested in the game or crawl away to something else? You'll still buy it.

Lexington_Steele
2002-11-12, 05:17 AM
Guys, you misunderstand where I am commng from.

I DONT TRUST SOE/VERANT.

Look at what happened to SW:G. It used to be Galactic Civil War. Now its an Empire Divided. Why?

They were afraid that someone might get thier feelings hurt during PvP. So it went from what looked to be a pretty Robust PvP system beased around the Galatic Civil War (You know, like the movies)

Into a sort of Carebear game with some PvP on the side... eh?

Planetside is going to be a skill based PvP game. There are no two ways around it. Verant/SOE won't change that.

With regards to SWG, most MMORPG players are carebears. For some reason thats what they want. With a game carrying the name Starwars, they don't want to alienate such a huge portion of their playerbase.

If I were in charge of SOE/Verant, I would make SWG carebear, for raw money making ability.

Now Planetside seems to be more of a niche game at this point. It is a MMOG for PvPers(which is a rarity). They have no reason to make Planetside carebear, because all of the people following PS are into PvP. Just like making SWG PvP oriented would alienate most of the people following SWG, making Planetside carebear would alienate most of the people following Planetside.

Tobias
2002-11-12, 06:30 AM
Some one doesnt rember the like year or so when PS seemed dead as grandma, but hey, like grandma, its not realy dead, so quite your whining boy, a few weeks doesnt hurt, and if they dont wanna give out screenshots its there game, so they dont have too (on a note we go new screens today, that buggy looked like it had a big ole rocketlauncher on the back!)

MrVicchio
2002-11-12, 09:16 AM
Excuse me for not being a fanboy. I guess thats not what you wanna hear huh?

I have a lot of high hopes for this game, but I am a skeptic.

I was burned by AO, and I fear being burned again. I saw too much Nerf batting by Verant with EQ, and saw SW:G go from what we heard it was gonna be,into a different sort of animal.

I really DO want this game to succeed. But until I see it happening, and hear that things are oign smooth, i will be a skeptic. If that is too much for you, oh well. I really dont care. I am not going to be a fan boy. If hamma or the PSU guys ask me to leave, I will. But I wont get into fights over this.

Hamma
2002-11-12, 09:52 AM
Well lets just see what happens. Every company does things their own way, I dont know about you but i dont have a copy of their press strategy.

Just sit back and spread the :love:

:D

OoACoO
2002-11-12, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I mean, they might really screw PlanetSide up and not include artillery!

*cough*

CrazyMike
2002-11-12, 02:46 PM
MrVicchio.. make your argument or don't. Just don't be one of these guys who calls us all "fanboys" because we disagree with you and you lack the smarts to defend your point of view.

CrazyMike

MrVicchio
2002-11-12, 03:08 PM
Dont attack me, and tell me to go away because I think there should be some info comming from the dev team.

I can defend myself just fine, I tend to get pissy when attacked, a personal faling I am well aware of. The basic premis of this WHOLE thread was that I thought the Devs should drop a few more tidbits.. thats all.

It was even meant in some sense of humor, i.e. my comment about this satisfying my selfish needs.

I didn't expect a personal attack.

But hey, you want me to go away because I am a skeptic. IMHO with the current state of half finished games launching and patches announced before a game hit sthe shelves should make EVERY serious gamer a skeptic. But I digress... I don't want to fight over this with a cynical fanboy that feels he has the moral high ground and launches personal attacks on me. That just raises my blood pressure.

OoACoO
2002-11-12, 03:13 PM
Well, you seem to be saying that they're keeping tight-lipped about the game because they think it's going to be a buggy piece of shit.

Because we all know how often companies like to sabotage their products...

Artillary!

Airlift
2002-11-12, 03:22 PM
I think complaining at this point is definately premature. Let the game come out (unless you land a beta spot) before you start finding fault. Until the game is in our hands, everything we type is speculation. There is little sense in dwelling on worst-case scenarios, especially given SOE's resources and prior success in the market.

MrVicchio
2002-11-12, 03:41 PM
I didnt say the game was a buggy peice of shit, someone please show me where I said that? Please????

I said the most likely reason was the Suits at Verant/SOE have a reason..

I think I found it.

I went on to EQ last night, and asked AS MANY peeps as I could if they had heard of and were going to play PS.

Guess what? Most said.. ya.. and no way, not some stupid FPS.

That spells it out, and I was WRONG.

The real reason the games not getting the high profile other games get in terms of PR is that those of us who are gonna play it, just need be told there is a bad A FPS out there on its way.

Most of my FPS buddies WILL be playing PS. Period. So no need for lots of PR that isn't going to sway the carebears out there anyway..

Thus in a way, I was right.... it WAS the suits... just not near as sinister as I thought and I humbly beg forgiveness of ANYONE offended by my posts.

Airlift
2002-11-12, 03:53 PM
What about those of us offended by your pants?

MrVicchio
2002-11-12, 04:01 PM
Christmas Present from Grandma... sorry...

Hamma
2002-11-12, 05:06 PM
:eek:

chill out all, its a forum. everyone gets their opinion, no need to insult eachother over it ;)

OoACoO
2002-11-12, 05:23 PM
Hamma's so circumspect. :p

MrVicchio
2002-11-12, 05:43 PM
That means NO TALKING ABOUT MY PANTS!

;)

Unregistered
2002-11-12, 05:53 PM
I didn't think pants were required by the forum. Might explain the strange looks people have been giving me.....

Airlift
2002-11-12, 05:57 PM
I would like to apologize to MrVicchio's pants. thanks.

CrazyMike
2002-11-13, 01:23 AM
5 new screen shots in one day. All you had to do was be patient. There is a lot more to come.

CrazyMike

MrVicchio
2002-11-13, 03:42 AM
But as I stated at the beggining of the thread, I am not patient :evil:

stick100
2002-11-13, 04:30 AM
Dont attack me, and tell me to go away because I think there should be some info comming from the dev team.

I didn't expect a personal attack.

Later Originally posted by MrVicchio
I didnt say the game was a buggy peice of shit, someone please show me where I said that? Please????
[/B]

Yea you are correct I am sorry I partook in this, as just a few days/weeks ago I was in the exact same position, as I introduced some new ideas. I jump in on the whole hey hes new lets get him, and OMG his ideas are dumb thing when just a little while ago I was on the other side. Welcome to the forums, and from now on I will try to do what I asked others to do which is I hate something say that once give evidence then leave. I feel like an utter hipocrite now.

MrVicchio
2002-11-13, 05:23 AM
No worries man.

There just isnt anyneed for ANYONE myself included to lose thier tempers eh?

Unregistered
2002-11-13, 10:39 AM
Just remember this......

"Arguing on the internet is like being in the Special Olimpics. Even if you win your still a retard"

Tobias
2002-11-13, 12:39 PM
My pants pwnzed j00r pants