PDA

View Full Version : Planetside...Present?

otomotopia
2011-02-01, 05:28 PM
Hey guys and gals. New poster here; played 9 months in 2004-5 and then 7 months in the PS:R movement. I have been a member of both the GoTR and AT outfits. But enough about me.

Is it just me, or have we been comparing our brand new shiny vehicles to modern day equipment ALOT? Seriously, the Galaxy has been compared to an AWAC bird, a C-130, and we have a general consensus that the Galaxy has wheels and therefore is most likely NOT a VTOL. The Vanguard looks like a mix between an Abrams and a T92 with dual flak-88 style coaxial guns.

I'm thinking that Planetside: Next is not Planetside 1.5- where we get a new skin and create our own perfect patch list. No mates, I think we're not in space anymore. I think we're fighting even before the TR ever went into the wormhole and discovered the ancient Vanu tech. I'm pretty darn sure we're not dealing with science fiction anymore... I think we're dealing with Planetside: New Beginnings. I think we're dealing with... now.

BlazingSun
2011-02-01, 05:47 PM
OK.

Bags
2011-02-01, 05:54 PM
Have you not seen the two screenshots released?

Robert089
2011-02-01, 06:52 PM
But the New Conglomerate formed after the collapse of the worm hole at Auraxis, so if they are sticking to canon the images we have seen prove that the game is set during or after the war on Auraxis.

otomotopia
2011-02-02, 02:10 AM
Have you not seen the two screenshots released?
...yes?
But the New Conglomerate formed after the collapse of the worm hole at Auraxis, so if they are sticking to canon the images we have seen prove that the game is set during or after the war on Auraxis.

I know. I still think that we're not dealing with the sci-fi feel though, at least not in the way we're familiar with Planetside. But we don't exactly play PS for the in-depth canon though, right?

Speaking of which, we never heard too much of the history of Mother Republic besides having ruled supposedly unopposed for 1000 years. But the TR have a history of using disinformation to keep a populace under control. Maybe the NC may have gotten their logo from a 'historic' movement or country before the dominance of the TR? I mean, the TR probably had to fight someone to gain their global power back home. And history books are written by the winners, right? If I was an oppression global totalitarian government, I'd want to stamp out memories of a time before me, especially if I've been ruling long enough that the only relevant history was and is me. The NC's logo could just be one scratched from the records of history by the TR.

Either way, this hypothetical backstory is to show that there is a possibility to mold a back story so it is believable and does not interfere with current canon. I mean, the models don't look very futuristic, do they? They look distinctively Cold War-ish. Those vehicles wouldn't be inconceivably out of place in someone's arsenal right now.

(I'm not sure if my post is coherent :( my sleeping patterns are seriously screwed thanks to college.)

BlazingSun
2011-02-02, 06:00 AM
I see your point - it's ok to speculate. We'll find out soon I think, in which time the game will be set in. But I'd like to mention that most of the weapons and vehicles in Planetside weren't that scifi and high-tech to beginn with.

Grimster
2011-02-02, 06:32 AM
I see your point - it's ok to speculate. We'll find out soon I think, in which time the game will be set in. But I'd like to mention that most of the weapons and vehicles in Planetside weren't that scifi and high-tech to beginn with.

Yeah I hope you are right. :)

I was hoping we would see a official announcement about Planetside: Next before the end of January but no luck there. :(

Bags
2011-02-02, 09:40 AM
The pictures look scifi I don't understand how you can look at the galaxy and not see it as futuristic.

Krushiev
2011-02-02, 10:11 AM
Do we even have confirmation that Auraxis is even the theater?

Maybe the factions moved elsewhere, possibly by Vanu tech / Warphole to another ancient Vanu world.

I just don't see how they can use Auraxis after "the bending" (provided in PS:N it's a "whole" world in lieu of each continent being a world). Here's to hoping SOE comes up with something good :cool:

Krush

Hamma
2011-02-02, 11:41 AM
Sadly we really don't know.

I'm not sure you can judge timeline based off the models though, they do look grittier and more worn but that doesn't really say "when" it will all happen.

Personally I am sure we will be seeing PS set in a different time as well. Whether that's before or after the current PlanetSide time is the question.

Raymac
2011-02-02, 02:45 PM
I don't have a problem with them making major adjustments to the canon in order to fit the new game. I was never a big stickler on canon because I always felt that as players we were essentially creating our own canon with each battle. For me, the canon was always just fluff. Maybe I just tuned it all out after the Bending because that never made sense to me.

So if they decide to go with Planetside: Modern Warfare, I'd be totally fine with it as long as the gameplay is the Planetside we all know and love.

Robert089
2011-02-02, 03:17 PM
Maybe I just tuned it all out after the Bending because that never made sense to me.

Hmm, this is true, however everything excluding the bending I actually found to be a pretty interesting back story.

Hamma
2011-02-03, 05:28 AM
As did I.

But PlanetSide doesn't quite have the same kind of backstory as say, Star Wars does. So they have plenty of freedom to do what they want and get away with it. I don't think there are to many folks out there that would throw a fit.

Firefly
2011-02-03, 10:28 AM
I don't care what the story is, or in what time frame it takes place. As long as it's an MMO-FPS and it's as cool as the first one, it could be a bunch of dudes slapping each other with clubs that look like cocks.

Well, maybe not that extreme.

Hamma
2011-02-04, 08:10 AM
:rofl:

Tremadog
2011-02-07, 12:22 PM
Well, I think the designs simply look more modern day and less futuristic because the designers are obviously using modern vehicles as reference. I think this is a good thing, because it makes the vehicles look more authentic. If the designs in PS:N look more like they could actually exist, I don't mind them looking a bit more old-school.

I think the new Reaver design is a good indicator of this. It conjures up imagery of a helicopter gunship from a quick glance. The old Reaver, though I liked the old design a lot, looked like some kind of odd flying dolphin.

I don't want this to become another Medal of Duty: Olive Drab Ops game, but I think they are going in the right direction to make the models look convincing rather than realistic. As long as the Prowler isn't a blobby VW Beetle or a historically accurate T-72, I think whatever they do will look better.

otomotopia
2011-02-10, 08:19 PM
I don't want this to become another Medal of Duty: Olive Drab Ops game, but I think they are going in the right direction to make the models look convincing rather than realistic. As long as the Prowler isn't a blobby VW Beetle or a historically accurate T-72, I think whatever they do will look better.
This^
Please keep in mind I'm not saying that the models suggest we're going to be playing BF2 MAG edition. I do think that the developers may be leaning towards Cold War AAA modern combat in their own way, though, at least in terms of their models and 'environment art' if you will. And by environmental art , I don't even mean real-world locations, I mean less futuristic art, like Endwar.

otomotopia
2011-02-11, 05:29 PM
Also, a possible explanation for a degradation of technology could be Black Ops.

Gogita
2011-02-11, 06:02 PM
Also, a possible explanation for a degradation of technology could be Black Ops.

In what way are the black ops related to this?

otomotopia
2011-02-11, 06:33 PM
In what way are the black ops related to this?

They could have destroyed or rendered the Vanu (Not VS) technology in-able. They did turn most bases neutral, right?

Maybe the Empires needed to roll out pre-vanu weapons and vehicles? Most would not be effected, but Aircraft and the VS would. The blue VTOL energy doesn't work, so the Empires use combustion and jets. The VS may design new weapons for themselves(They are scientists, after all). This would also hel[ explain the rust on some of the vehicles.

Smed did say that some things would change, neh? Maybe this is a part of what he was talking about.

Firefly
2011-02-12, 08:00 AM
Please no Black Ops. That was fucking stupid.