PDA

View Full Version : Urban Combat

Manitou
2011-02-14, 12:52 PM
So during the AGN event someone mentioned something and it triggered a thought about urban combat.

I would love to see an addition to the bases where you have to work your way through an urban environment. The thrill of fighting house-to-house would be immense, in my opinion. It would require specific weapons to be more effective, like the Sweeper and other short range firearms. It would also require very good inter-squad/platoon communication.

Of course, you wouldn't be able to blow holes in walls to move, but they could make something along those lines.

Comments?

Grimster
2011-02-14, 01:09 PM
To be honest I don't want to see urban combat in Planetside. It doesn't feel like it fits Planetside.

Just my opinion though. :)

I SandRock
2011-02-14, 01:20 PM
I like Urban Warfare but like Grimster i'm not sure how it would fit into Planetside. Perhaps some sort of ancient runes could work..

Wrath
2011-02-14, 01:28 PM
where they going for an urban combat feel when they brought core combat in and that never worked

edit

well sorry it did work well when there was heavy fighting there right after the sundering and people where there getting there bfr attunement it was lots of fun.

Raymac
2011-02-14, 01:29 PM
I really hope something like this is implemented. Either have the urban combat be around a base, or have it be like ruins located at a choke point between 2 bases. That way it will be in a location that will be used, not just some random ruins out in the boonies.

Firefly
2011-02-14, 01:52 PM
Why not have a continent whose primary feature is a huge selection of roads, alleys, buildings, with a few objectives scattered around? The buildings can either be functional or just obstacles.

Slamscape
2011-02-14, 02:44 PM
I would like to see variety of larger bases that possibly incorporated more urban combat, and more like real military bases. In Planetside as it is now, the bases seem dead, like they were never meant to actually have people living and working just as empty husks to be invaded and lost over and over again.

TheRagingGerbil
2011-02-14, 02:54 PM
At the bare minimum I would like to see burnt out vehicle hulls hang around longer. Perhaps the carcasses could remain until the base is successfully captured?

It could fit in the lore as well. Say once a base is captured, the nanites reset themselves. Restoring everything to pristine condition as the flags change over to the new faction.

Sgteppinjer
2011-02-14, 04:21 PM
That would be pretty sweet.

Mag-Mower
2011-02-14, 04:40 PM
How about Outposts? Could be a series of buildings, like a little settlement, placed throughout a continent.

It could work like this:

Tower -> Outpost -> Base

The benefits of owning an outpost might be that you are able to pull light vehicles, have repair terminals, etc. They could act like a light base, not having all the features of a full base, but have more to them than towers.

Firefly
2011-02-14, 04:48 PM
At the bare minimum I would like to see burnt out vehicle hulls hang around longer. Perhaps the carcasses could remain until the base is successfully captured?
I'd like to see vehicle shells hang around, as well as serve as an actual obstacle. Take out the lead vehicle in a column whilst in an urban area, take out the tail vehicle. Bottle the whole thing up, massacre follows.

Manitou
2011-02-14, 05:23 PM
How about Outposts? Could be a series of buildings, like a little settlement, placed throughout a continent.

It could work like this:

Tower -> Outpost -> Base

The benefits of owning an outpost might be that you are able to pull light vehicles, have repair terminals, etc. They could act like a light base, not having all the features of a full base, but have more to them than towers.
Yeah, like COPs. That would be cool.

Take out the lead vehicle in a column whilst in an urban area, take out the tail vehicle. Bottle the whole thing up, massacre follows.
This is some fun stuff right here. Shooting down from the rooftops - "R...P...G!" That would rock...

Hamma
2011-02-14, 06:51 PM
I think PlanetSide is really missing an environment like this. Obviously the whole game should not be like this but I really think we need some kind of urban combat area around at least some areas. It seems strange to have just a bunch of random facilities around surrounded by vast openness.

And yes Core Combat was supposed to be somewhat an answer to Urban combat but the whole zip line multiple level thing was just annoying and dumb.

Raymac
2011-02-14, 07:08 PM
Hamma's right. I liked the idea of the caves more than the actual caves themselves. It was a cool style of play, but you had to go into a whole separate zone. Therefore, it kind of split the numbers of players we had. It became like spreading too little butter over too much bread.

I think if the new urban areas are put in, they should be intergrated with the maps as a feature instead of a whole different place like the battle islands or the caves.

Canaris
2011-02-15, 08:17 AM
heh I always thought to myself when playing PS, where did the people use to live before it all turned nasty, the Sanc's were no more than a HART hub and the bases around the continents were rather small devoid of places for people to live.
We've discussed it in other topics already but I think having a 1 or 2 "Hab" (Habitation) zones is a great idea for urban fighting.

Big wide streets for armor and lot of alleys and two or three story connecting buildings.
Maybe a central town/city surrounded by a few satellite villages

Valverde
2011-02-15, 08:26 AM
I agree Urban Combat might not fit as much. It is still possible to make it fit. Fighting for capitols and having to gain influence.

What I would like to see is Space Combat for the system. That way you can not only fight to take over the planet but the whole system. Giving it more depth and more specialties in certifications(Armor/Weapons/Transportation/etc..) That way the orbital strikes and things like that make more sense and your chance of getting one off is do to the status in space. They could even be timed so they aren't spammed. Recharge takes 15 - 20 mins or what not for example. Then you could spice it up and have planetary protection towers and allow them to take down ships in orbit. Gives more reason to capturing bases.

Valverde
2011-02-15, 08:31 AM
heh I always thought to myself when playing PS, where did the people use to live before it all turned nasty, the Sanc's were no more than a HART hub and the bases around the continents were rather small devoid of places for people to live.
We've discussed it in other topics already but I think having a 1 or 2 "Hab" (Habitation) zones is a great idea for urban fighting.

Big wide streets for armor and lot of alleys and two or three story connecting buildings.
Maybe a central town/city surrounded by a few satellite villages

Actually You have a point there. Cities could give a more social aspect to the game, as well as give you chance to get better or custom gear. You could also make it where depending on if your sect own the influence in that city prices would be more or less based off that as well as if they would even do business with you.

Grimster
2011-02-15, 08:40 AM
Social aspect? I don't know why you guys play PS if you still do, but I do it to shot people because if I try to do it IRL some dickhead takes me away and throws me in jail. :) ;)

If I wanted a social aspect of a game I would go play WoW where I could hang out in Dalaran or whatever city is the hub in that game nowadays.

Outfits provide the social part of this game which is quite enough for me.

Valverde
2011-02-15, 08:45 AM
Social aspect? I don't know why you guys play PS if you still do, but I do it to shot people because if I try to do it IRL some dickhead takes me away and throws me in jail. :) ;)

If I wanted a social aspect of a game I would go play WoW where I could hang out in Dalaran or whatever city is the hub in that game nowadays.

Outfits provide the social part of this game which is quite enough for me.

I agree completely I simply meant in terms of getting squads or outfits together. Not tea parties and meaningless conversions.

Grimster
2011-02-15, 08:49 AM
I agree completely I simply meant in terms of getting squads or outfits together. Not tea parties and meaningless conversions.

Yeah but don't the sanctuary suffice for such a purpose?

I hear that the sanctuary might be in danger though judging from what Smedley has stated previously.

I didn't really see anything bad about the sanctuary if you wanted instant action you hit the instant action button. Granted that you sometimes ended up in a tower in the middle of nowhere with not a soul in sight but thats just minor details. :D

So for me the sanctuary provided the social aspect needed at least back in the old days when population was better nowadays they seem quite deserted for most of the time.

Valverde
2011-02-15, 08:53 AM
Yeah but don't the sanctuary suffice for such a purpose?

I hear that the sanctuary might be in danger though judging from what Smedley has stated previously.

I didn't really see anything bad about the sanctuary if you wanted instant action you hit the instant action button. Granted that you sometimes ended up in a tower in the middle of nowhere with not a soul in sight but thats just minor details. :D

So for me the sanctuary provided the social aspect needed at least back in the old days when population was better nowadays they seem quite deserted for most of the time.

Lol true that.

Sadly every time I press it now... nothing happens. I am not to sure my feelings would be hurt if there were no Sanctuarys.

BlazingSun
2011-02-15, 09:04 AM
I would love Urban Combat for a next Planetside. The background story of the first game was one thing. But the fighting for random bases in the middle of nowhere made very little sense.

Putting Cities and other important structurs, which you would need to support settlements on an alien planet (big Powerplant for example) into the game in addition to 'normal' bases would be great. I have many ideas regarding this, but I think everything is decided already.

Valverde
2011-02-15, 09:11 AM
I would love Urban Combat for a next Planetside. The background story of the first game was one thing. But the fighting for random bases in the middle of nowhere made very little sense.

Putting Cities and other important structurs, which you would need to support settlements on an alien planet (big Powerplant for example) into the game in addition to 'normal' bases would be great. I have many ideas regarding this, but I think everything is decided already.

I couldn't agree more. That was a fantastic idea. Giving reason to bases or small areas would be awesome.

Firefly
2011-02-15, 09:43 AM
Continents were all about terrain, for the most part. I'd like to see a continent which has a bulk of its areas covered in city blocks with urban areas. Perhaps a base here and there, but objectives in the city could be various fortified features - for example, instead of an Interlink facility, a large comms centre. Instead of a Dropship Centre, an aerospace facility.

Which goes right back to keeping burnt-out vehicle hulls and equipping them with collision - that way, you can bottle a convoy up.

Slepnair
2011-02-15, 10:43 AM
Continents were all about terrain, for the most part. I'd like to see a continent which has a bulk of its areas covered in city blocks with urban areas. Perhaps a base here and there, but objectives in the city could be various fortified features - for example, instead of an Interlink facility, a large comms centre. Instead of a Dropship Centre, an aerospace facility.

Which goes right back to keeping burnt-out vehicle hulls and equipping them with collision - that way, you can bottle a convoy up.

i think that would be a fun aspect, and help combat some of the mundane feeling i get every once in a while while fighting in a base.

the collision with vehicles would also add to strategic capability and allow for ambush's and such through the cities.

Effective
2011-03-12, 07:29 AM
I'd love to see actual urban combat in PS, not the caves, which is just a CE and vehicle camp fest. Make it so the only spawns points you have are AMS's that you bring (basically making a infantry only environment.

Baneblade
2011-03-13, 03:11 PM
Urban environments should not be designed with war in mind. So no walls or turrets etc.

Each continent should have some sort of population center as the 'capitol'. The main issue is of course that relatively small continents. You can't have a lot of urban sprawl without some continents just ending up being Manhattan.

So have settlements with one larger planetary governance town on Cyssor. Settlements must make sense as well... none would be built in the Searhus crater for example.

Each one has a series of shops (Gun Stores, Library, Medical Center, Mechanic Shop, etc that work the same way as bases, just not all in one package or with base/tower defensibility. Tanks should be allowed to push down main street, but you can bet they won't be going full speed unless they want to hit the mine field and Lancer fire team head on. But a lot of outdoor urban areas should be too CQB for even a mossie to killwhore in.

Liberators will be the terror of urban combat. I predict it already.

Tikuto
2011-03-13, 03:18 PM
Biggest urban areas is ideally going to be a smoking brown and silver tall city of the Terran Republic.

What I will try to instigate is the thought of completely different architecture between Earth and Auraxis.

Think how humans on new alien Earth-like planet begin terraformation. It's likely to be fresh ripe land with a heap of blueprint and constructions knowledge, not starting from 5000 B.C. but starting modern from 5000 A.D (Auraxis), will somehow look like a clean planet is becoming blighted. A luminated contrast of Auraxis's purity tainted and outlined bold by human intervention forever. Earth's human architecture has the foundation of its history. Auraxis's human architecture has the foundation of Earth's history. There's no human-historical monuments. All we know Auraxis has it Monoliths and, deniably, those silly Warpgates. Auraxis with the indirect resulting help of the Terran's oppressive ways, allows for greater differentiations compared to future Earth and present-future Auraxis.
Religion could be severed completely by the Terran Republic. No religion may lead to future society's clear and refined values -- an escalation of science, which is or is becoming inevitable these days anyway. With the already thought-out future of human buildings, there's is yet evolutionary standard, maybe.
When Wormhole collapses, humans across the globe become distressed. Some see peace and some do not, and this fuels the attitude of the war. No control so take control, everyone!--*BOOM*

So. Urban combat. It's going to be awesome. It'd deny some or most vehicles, and considering how different locations can actually be a "gametype" it is these places (in PlanetSide) where foot soldiers can best overcome the terrifying vehicles of war.

Rbstr
2011-03-13, 07:06 PM
Dude, you're trying too hard.

Lonehunter
2011-03-13, 07:15 PM
I don't trust SOE with "Urban Combat", don't make them get too specific in their warfare. Let's just make sure the big picture works first lol

Wrath
2011-03-14, 04:55 AM
from a personal point of view I'd rather they didnt just make 1 big urban map but rather incorperated it the game better then that by building urban like enviroments into most maps in some form either with buildings or with cave systems.

the end of the day what your asking for when you say urban combat isnt specifcally buildings your asking for a play style as in more close quaters combat less vehcile friendly terran.

also somebody mentions space combat. i'd like to see that but i'd if your fighting over space stations restrict it to 30 player max. 1 so it doesnt pull to many players from fighting over the planet and 2 it adds and extra level and feel to the game. some different for people to do when they are bored of the large scale battles.

Tikuto
2011-03-14, 09:01 AM
also somebody mentions space combat. i'd like to see that but i'd if your fighting over space stations restrict it to 30 player max. 1 so it doesnt pull to many players from fighting over the planet and 2 it adds and extra level and feel to the game. some different for people to do when they are bored of the large scale battles.
Space Combat could also completely sever vehicles and infantry tackling each other: Vehicles outside of space platform and Infantry inside of space platform.

THUNDARIUS
2011-03-16, 08:12 AM
I'd like to see the Bases used more as an urban combat enviroment. The bases could be designed with more complexityto simulate the needed tactics for urban warfare.

The caverns had more of a urban combat feel in my opinon because of the dynamics of lighting/structures/landscape. There were many points of advantage to shoot at unsuspecting victims.

Ant001
2011-03-16, 09:29 AM
Hmm interesting but I dont really want to play cod in space suits.
The reason ps did so well is because of its unique playstyle and "OPEN" combat zones.
Spammy weapons and cof with NO headshots means more flow to the combat. Last thing we need is more cockblocking scenery.

Baneblade
2011-03-16, 01:54 PM
Hmm interesting but I dont really want to play cod in space suits.
The reason ps did so well is because of its unique playstyle and "OPEN" combat zones.
Spammy weapons and cof with NO headshots means more flow to the combat. Last thing we need is more cockblocking scenery.

Considering how most fights in PS didn't happen in an 'open' area... urban warfare in certain parts of the continent wouldn't make PS not PS.

Oty
2011-03-30, 03:28 PM
I have it! If one wants cities with urban warfare with focus on infantry and light wehicles, leaving the tanks and aircrafts outside one needs a good background story: The new cities of Auraxis didn't want the usual smog that excisted on earth, so what did they do? they buildt Large energyfields around the cities to protect from bad air from the outside and to pass out bad air through ventilation. Though this Energybubbles does not let aircrafts and heavier vehicles through. The Energyfield is powered through a big generator in the town center --> the main base of the city. by destroying this a faction takes control over the city and it can let all its aircav and tanks roll in and secure the area.
Thus combat will start out as infantrybattle and when the attacker have destroyed the generator they can let the heavier weapons take care of the survivors. then the generator must be fixed and the energyfield is restored making the city a infantry zone again.

Senyu
2011-03-30, 08:06 PM
I have it! If one wants cities with urban warfare with focus on infantry and light wehicles, leaving the tanks and aircrafts outside one needs a good background story: The new cities of Auraxis didn't want the usual smog that excisted on earth, so what did they do? they buildt Large energyfields around the cities to protect from bad air from the outside and to pass out bad air through ventilation. Though this Energybubbles does not let aircrafts and heavier vehicles through. The Energyfield is powered through a big generator in the town center --> the main base of the city. by destroying this a faction takes control over the city and it can let all its aircav and tanks roll in and secure the area.
Thus combat will start out as infantrybattle and when the attacker have destroyed the generator they can let the heavier weapons take care of the survivors. then the generator must be fixed and the energyfield is restored making the city a infantry zone again.

That is kinda cool, have to admit. My two cents would be some bases are jsut part urban. Ever see a paper mill factory? Those places are decent size and would be pretty fun to fight in. Just more buildings and constructions added to a base preventing vehicales from getting close and supporting close infantry fights.

But then agian I hate the Jackhammer :mad:

Baneblade
2011-03-30, 11:49 PM

Sort of a Final Fantasy: The Spirits Withinesque idea would work too. Large Energy domes to protect the city from the natural Auraxis. Maybe Auraxis shouldn't be so compatible.

LordReaver
2011-03-31, 06:09 AM
I've decided this post is better in it's own thread, and I don't see a delete button.

otomotopia
2011-03-31, 07:55 AM
Most of my top memories from planetside took place on (I can't remember the planets name ATM, it's too early lol) the planet with those forests of huge trees. Why? Because the cover there was so awesome. It broke up the landscape extremely well, giving infantry and light vehicles great cover against air and heavy vehicles, and enabled highly tactical gameplay across all disciplines.

Planetside could excel in large urbanized areas. Not nessisarly intense cqb all the time, but closer to BF2's Karkand (sp) map, where medium range firefights were mixed with flanking maneuvers and some sniping lanes. By throwing in debris, tanks were limited and being in one was almost a gamble. Urbanized environments will need to have an abundance of cover, several main avenues, landmarks, and hopefully an abundance of enterable buildings.

Great, now I need to re-install Peoject Reality..
That mod had urban combat down pat.