PDA

View Full Version : instances for Duals

Bruttal
2011-02-20, 02:24 PM
We all know how popular dueling is in planetside so my suggestion is 2 differnt types of instances 1 for Squad dual and one for solo duals.

a Solo dueling
this will be in an arena where there can be a few spectators (couple fixed camra postions no actual body in there) couple terms one on each side of the arena when the timer (say 15seconds) is done then the terms lock and the players are vurnable to attack.

Squad dueling
This will be underground bunker style with few different splits and conners the object is to be the last team standing combat medics are a must because there is no respawn till the battle is over. in this fight no plasma or granades of any type are aloud.

Barbapapa123
2011-02-20, 02:27 PM
you mean duels?

probly best not to make 1v1 instanced. make it like in other MMOs where you ask the consent of the other person.

Squad (outfit battles?)
could be a good idea.

Tikuto
2011-02-20, 02:36 PM
Such things would affect the game badly by diverting attention away from battle especially Squad Duelling.

Completely disagree with this entirely. Sorry.

Bruttal
2011-02-20, 02:47 PM
Such things would affect the game badly by diverting attention away from battle especially Squad Duelling.

IT already is happening every day, we could give them a timer like once every 24hrs (each type) or something

Bags
2011-02-20, 02:47 PM

I used to do this all the time back in the day. Not saying I support this, but you don't need instances to divert people's attention.

Grimster
2011-02-20, 04:22 PM

I agree. It might still happening today but if this were to be implemented it would promote it even more.

Hamma
2011-02-20, 07:25 PM
It's an interesting idea but I think it should only be used and started for specific events, this past weekend there was a duel competition and Virrago had to on numerous occasions let people know they would be banned if interfering with an event.

BlazingSun
2011-02-20, 07:37 PM
People and their wish to duel .... :huh: I don't think something like that is needed.

Bruttal
2011-02-20, 09:34 PM
Okay then there needs to be away for duals to not effect current game play either. Pop count and hotspots during duals confuse people and end up messing up there duals and moves pop to that cont.

this was my way of giving them something to do but at the same time keep them out of our hair.

CutterJohn
2011-02-20, 10:16 PM
I see nothing wrong with some squad or duel maps for competitions. Its a game, and highly rude to tell people they shouldn't play in a particular fashion if that doesn't have an adverse effect on your gameplay. If someone wants to pay for and play planetside just as an arena game, they should be able to.

The separate zone would be beneficial in allowing teams of the same faction to go against each other by disabling grief between the two teams.

Elude
2011-02-20, 10:57 PM
I see nothing wrong with some squad or duel maps for competitions. Its a game, and highly rude to tell people they shouldn't play in a particular fashion if that doesn't have an adverse effect on your gameplay. If someone wants to pay for and play planetside just as an arena game, they should be able to.

The separate zone would be beneficial in allowing teams of the same faction to go against each other by disabling grief between the two teams.

What if someone wanted to construct buildings and build farms, since they you know, "paid for the game, and should be able to play it as they see fit"?

There is nothing rude about it, Planetside is clearly not meant for duels or squad duels as much as it is not meant for building/farm construction. This is like suggesting duels in Battlefield, it doesn't fit, and I'll tell you why.

Despite what some may claim or have done in Planetside before for duels, there is hardly much skill involved in a one on one combat scenario in planetside. Planetside is extremely slow pace in terms of reloading, movement, and shooting, the levels themselves are also considerably basic for such a gamemode(even though they could be made better for duel specifics).

Many other games which support dueling have much more complex movement, weapon design, and level layout. They invest everything on a small scale to give the player what he needs to overcome another single player. Planetside on the other hand invests everything on a large scale, giving players what they need to overcome many other players. Planetsides skill is matched on a massive level of team work and not sole players.

Bags
2011-02-20, 11:00 PM
What if someone wanted to construct buildings and build farms, since they you know, "paid for the game, and should be able to play it as they see fit"?

There is nothing rude about it, Planetside is clearly not meant for duels or squad duels as much as it is not meant for building/farm construction. This is like suggesting duels in Battlefield, it doesn't fit, and I'll tell you why.

Despite what some may claim or have done in Planetside before for duels, there is hardly much skill involved in a one on one combat scenario in planetside. Planetside is extremely slow pace in terms of reloading, movement, and shooting, the levels themselves are also considerably basic for such a gamemode(even though they could be made better for duel specifics).

Many other games which support dueling have much more complex movement, weapon design, and level layout. They invest everything on a small scale to give the player what he needs to overcome another single player. Planetside on the other hand invests everything on a large scale, giving players what they need to overcome many other players. Planetsides skill is matched on a massive level of team work and not sole players.

People duel all the time regardless of whether or not it's supported and there is infact a lot of skill differential in planetside. Not as much as some other shooters, but try killing someone like trxtopdawg in 1v1... lol.

Elude
2011-02-20, 11:13 PM
People duel all the time regardless of whether or not it's supported and there is infact a lot of skill differential in planetside. Not as much as some other shooters, but try killing someone like trxtopdawg in 1v1... lol.

You miss my point, regardless of how good people can be in a 1v1 in planetside is irrelevant to the fact that it's not designed to have 1v1 in it. You can be the king of 1v1 for all I care in Alien Swarm and win against 99% of the people you play against, it's still not designed to take advantage of it, and there for shouldn't be a feature.

Sure, allow people to do there own little secret 1v1's as they did in the original planetside, cant really stop that. But to add a feature for it in a game not designed for it is just a waste of time to add potentially better features.

Bags
2011-02-20, 11:19 PM
You miss my point, regardless of how good people can be in a 1v1 in planetside is irrelevant to the fact that it's not designed to have 1v1 in it. You can be the king of 1v1 for all I care in Alien Swarm and win against 99% of the people you play against, it's still not designed to take advantage of it, and there for shouldn't be a feature.

Sure, allow people to do there own little secret 1v1's as they did in the original planetside, cant really stop that. But to add a feature for it in a game not designed for it is just a waste of time to add potentially better features.

I never said they should add it. There's just people in here who aren't aware that it happens and / or want to do something to remove duels in game as they are now.

However, I'd take a team made up of good 1v1ers over a team made up of players only "good" in a team environment any day.

Elude
2011-02-20, 11:27 PM
However, I'd take a team made up of good 1v1ers over a team made up of players only "good" in a team environment any day.

I would to assuming they would know the strengths and weakness's of nearly every aspect of their equipment. Then again, maybe they don't use vehicles at all because they're to busy on their legs, and wouldn't know how to properly counter specific masses of unique units.

This of course is not the case for planetside considering it's more then likely that every player who has 1v1'd in it has done just about everything else in planetside, but what if they were completely new to the process of fighting against mass numbers of other players, and vehicles, would you still trust them on your side more then an average player who has experienced the actual part of the game?

CutterJohn
2011-02-21, 12:47 AM

Quite different since building construction and farms do not exist in PS, aside from interfarms.

People can already do duels and squad vs squad. Mechanics to support it would take little time.. A queuing system for an entire squad and a small map with a small poplock that is suitable for small teams of players. Hell, you could even incorporate control of that small map into continent benefits. Make it a cave or an offshore platform or something.

Duels ofc need little actual help. You can just pull AMSs and go to some random area, but it would be handy for tournaments.

Elude
2011-02-21, 01:09 AM
Quite different since building construction and farms do not exist in PS, aside from interfarms.

People can already do duels and squad vs squad. Mechanics to support it would take little time.. A queuing system for an entire squad and a small map with a small poplock that is suitable for small teams of players. Hell, you could even incorporate control of that small map into continent benefits. Make it a cave or an offshore platform or something.

Duels ofc need little actual help. You can just pull AMSs and go to some random area, but it would be handy for tournaments.

Fare enough.

If duels and squad matches were to be implemented however, I would more so like to see it put into the training programs where rank means nothing, and the entire scenario of the idea actually fits in the situation.

I'm just having a hard time understanding why someone would want to in the type of game planetside is, as said before it's not exactly designed for this so why would you want to invest your time into playing it, let alone building it? I really hate pulling this out but there are many other games out there that do such things 100x better, which is why I'm confused as to why people interested in squad matches, and 1v1s would be interested in planetside at all.

As far as tournaments go, these even bring more reason why you wouldn't want to build something in a game clearly not designed for it. I'm not sure about you but most of the people I know who are extremely interested in tournaments flock where they happen to be, not ever once caring whether it was a specific game, just so long as it had tournament potential, and deep tournament skills involved. I cant see planetside with or without 1v1/tdms having that type of depth to want to bother having tournaments.

Anyway sure, add some duel mode or squad mode to the training simulations, but in the end I think they'll just be a small gimmick rather then something actually balanced for such modes. I'd probably play it myself since I'm actually highly interested in duels but I cant imagine it sticking for tournaments or clan matches.

CutterJohn
2011-02-21, 02:52 AM
Because its something extra to do in the game, a fun alternative activity, that will attract more people, or keep people playing longer, without drastically altered game mechanics or new art assets required.

Of course there are games that do this better. But they aren't planetside, and you can't do it with your planetside characters and planetside friends against your planetside archnemesi for fun and bragging rights in planetside.

:)

Hamma
2011-02-21, 09:33 AM
Interesting, an outfit of cowboys over an outfit of team players focused on a specific goal. Good luck with that.. :p

Warborn
2011-02-21, 10:36 AM
Variety is good. I think having the ability to organize squads and be queued for squad vs. squad matches would be fun and a nice change of pace. Any concern about diverting people from the larger struggle can be addressed by offering appropriate compelling reasons for players to not neglect the larger fights entirely, but to be honest if people want to basically just squad vs. squad I'd think that's fine too.

Effective
2011-03-12, 07:35 AM
Instanced combat (Outfit wars scenarios, duels) would be great, rules could be determined before combat. Scenarios etc. Winners get E-Ego.

As for drawing players away from the "main fight" what's worse, players logging off because of a boring fight, or them going to blow off some steam in a instanced duel to waste time.

Rbstr
2011-03-12, 02:17 PM
Just have to say, this tread has added lol factor when you read the tech forum thread about "Duel Monitors"

I think duels are a bad idea for the same reason I don't like lots of Naval proposals:
It will fragment the players by creating, essentially, a separate game within the game that's removed from the rest.
It's partly why I find WoW's pvp so boring.