PDA

View Full Version : Are you sticking with your faction?

DviddLeff
2011-02-27, 03:54 AM
Assuming VS are included and its one faction per server, are you going to stick with your faction from the original?

I want to stick with VS as I love the Mag (again, assuming its in game), but I wouldn't mind switching to one of the easy mode empires :p

You?

I SandRock
2011-02-27, 04:08 AM
Personally, if the indication was the balance of the empire would be the same (ie. VS has shit weapons) then I'd be tempted to go NC. But my friend is a purple rain hippie and doesn't want to let go so I'll be stuck with VS forever it seems :p

Barbapapa123
2011-02-27, 04:11 AM
VS for life, <3 lancer

Lartnev
2011-02-27, 04:16 AM
:trrocks:

It's all about the MAX lockdown baby* ;)

*Disclaimer: Should TR MAX units lose the ability to look totally badass then the above statement may be revised

PsychoXR-20
2011-02-27, 04:18 AM
While we haven't seen any character shots aside from the agile TR soldier (the armor bares more resemblance to an angle with no helmet than PJ's), I initially choose NC because I loved how their armor looked, a much more angular and armored look than the TR (when I first found out about PS the VS hadn't been announced/shown/talked about/anything yet).

I don't foresee myself changing sides come Next.

Tikuto
2011-02-27, 05:25 AM
I salute with my penis so therefore I am TR forever.

FastAndFree
2011-02-27, 05:30 AM
Blue and Gold forever!

Vancha
2011-02-27, 06:49 AM
I wore purple when I started, but it didn't take long for me to end up with the New Conglomerate. I'll probably continue fighting for the NC in PSN, but it's possible VS will draw me to the tech side.

TR never appealed to me much, which is a shame as my outfit is pretty much entirely TR-based. :doh:

CutterJohn
2011-02-27, 06:58 AM
I enjoy the magrider, thresher, lancer, and flying MAXs a bit more than the weapons from the other teams, so if things are still like that, I'll stay with those weapons.

basti
2011-02-27, 08:28 AM
I was born as a VS
I fought as a VS
I will die as a VS

We have Lazors!!

Wrath
2011-02-27, 08:32 AM
NC all the way bring on the jackhammers

Kyonye
2011-02-27, 09:18 AM
I played as VS in closed and open beta, but switched to TR when the game launched. I guess it depends. I'll have to see when the game comes out.

Hamma
2011-02-27, 12:25 PM
I hope to play the TR.

Which has been my faction since I first logged into the game late 2002.

Kirotan
2011-02-27, 12:34 PM
In the beginning I played NC for 3 years and thought I was just a really good player. Then I switched to VS and realized, "No wonder I thought I was good, these purple weapons are shit!" (Pulsar compared to Gauss, whatever the hell the lasher does now vs. JH).

So I'm sticking VS and hoping Technology will someday equal might.

Bags
2011-02-27, 01:27 PM
If PSN runs reasonably well I'll stay TR. If it still runs like a train wreck I might go NC.

Rbstr
2011-02-27, 03:01 PM
Christ, this is a thread about empires you're going to pick in a new game.
Stop shitting it up with balance whining and e-peen stroking.

I mostly played NC, but nearly went VS. Was always tough because I liked both sets of weaponry about equally. In the end it came down to color scheme and models, I guess.

It's a tossup between the two until we know more.

I SandRock
2011-02-27, 03:40 PM
If PSN runs reasonably well I'll stay TR. If it still runs like a train wreck I might go NC.

You're lying yourself if you think that the VS are at some huge disadvantage.

The lasher is a little iffy because of hit detection for some players (I personally have not experienced it any worse than with JH / MCG) and that's about it. Sure the COF sucks in 1v1s but this isn't a 1v1 game. The Pulsar is better than the Cycler, Lancer is the best overall ESAV, Magrider is arguably the best tank and they have the overall best maxes. The aurora kind of sucks and the thresher has mixed reviews, but no side really uses their buggies or deliverers any more.

Not to mention they're the laggiest(FPS wise) empire to fight against. They're not overpowered, but they're also no way gimp.

And that's why you go TR or NC xD sure sure. I'm playing NC atm and it's so much easier to get a k/d count. That's factual data right there

Peacemaker
2011-02-27, 04:32 PM
1. I hope to stay TR.
2. Seriously what the hell are you people on the VS complaining about? The NC has a better HA for being a kill whore, when it comes to defending a base though the Lasher is insane. NC has the best MA (IMO), cycler right behind it. The pulsar kinda blows tho. After that, the AA, AV, and AI maxes are probably the best in the game for VS. NC have a better attacking AI and great AA but the falcon always kinda sucked if you ask me. The TR have a great defensive MAX in the AI, the AV kinda ties with the NC, and the AA is a limp dick compared to the other two. (And no, IDC wtf you say the sparrow and the starfire are godlike compared to burster. Try going toe to toe with two Reavers from max range in a burster, then try with either of the other two. The TR have MAYBE the best Defensive AI max and MAYBE the best buggy. Other than that they are completely out classed.

Raymac
2011-02-27, 04:51 PM
I started off as VS back in the Johari days. I've always been a huge fan of their Maxes and the Lancer. I can actually pinpoint the moment I got used to the timing of the Lancer and fell in love with it. Then, one day, it happened. I clicked with the Gauss and I've been in love with it ever since. Rolling with the MASSIVE numbers of the 666th was cool too, but if it wasn't for the Gauss, I'd still be VS. Basically, I won't really know which empire until I get a feel for the weapons and the right weapon will choose me.

Vancha
2011-02-27, 05:40 PM
Try going toe to toe with two Reavers from max range in a burster, then try with either of the other two.
I never had much problem with the burster, but maybe that was because I was always sniping, so I was used to leading at stupid ranges.

kaffis
2011-02-27, 08:19 PM
Does the pulsar suck? Yes. But you get to run MAXes in from upstairs and hop base walls with them, strafe to make your vehicles undodgeable (they're called magmowers for a reason, and it's the only vehicle in the game where the pilot gets more kills than the gunner, for crying out loud), and lashers are hardly a slouch when you bring them in force.

Anyways, I loved lockdown in beta, had made my peace with the cycler for what it was, enjoyed the notion of more men per vehicle, and absolutely loved surprising cocky reavers with flak. Then, live came, and I discovered all my friends went NC.

I suspect they'll do the same, which is okay by me, as I grew fond of the gauss and vanguard.

Sirisian
2011-02-27, 09:06 PM
VS all the way. I like the lancer, never really used the Lasher. pew pew. Plus purple is so manly there's no other choice.

Furret
2011-02-27, 09:12 PM
I'm going NC, and i'm not sure if it qualifies as 'sticking to my faction.'

I started NC because thats where my friend was. I then played VS on Werner to try em out, and didn't like em all that much. Played TR on markov and liked them a fair bit, but I'm definitely picking NC for the next game.

Bags
2011-02-27, 09:48 PM
I'm really sorry to take this off topic, but how does the pulsar suck? I find it to be a fine gun.

Sirisian
2011-02-28, 01:21 AM
I'm really sorry to take this off topic, but how does the pulsar suck? I find it to be a fine gun.
I remember the COF was a problem especially if you took damage. My friend and I tested this numerous times, but the supressor often wins at like 20 meter range fighting. I believe it's mostly because you can easily hit a target and mess up their bloom with TR and NC weapons that makes it better.

Jez
2011-02-28, 01:45 AM
Ill be TR again "Loyalty until death" and all. Even though i prefer the Vanguard, VS MAX's, Pheonix, Jackhammer & Gauss over TR's equivalent i wont whine about balance and just stick to what i just enjoy most....flying my TR mossie :)

Gogita
2011-02-28, 02:26 AM
Vanu!

Floating vehicles and energy weapons ftw

EDIT: And the purple armor of course

Baneblade
2011-02-28, 02:41 AM
I was a Smurf in beta and I'll probably be a Smurf in PSN. Presuming nothing between now than then does anything to change that.

More importantly though, I want my OACs.

Grimster
2011-02-28, 02:48 AM
Defiantly going NC. Always been on NC apart from having a VS alt on one of the US servers but NC has always been where my heart is.

I think originally the reason I picked NC was because they had yellow/blue color scheme which is the same colors you find in my country flag. :)

Manitou
2011-02-28, 06:36 AM
Our outfit is debating this very thing, but as has been stated in this thread, it is a little silly to make a decision on a game that hasn't even been released.

We are TR as an outfit in PlanetSide. In my opinion, there would have to be some serious flaws for me to be comfortable with an empire swap in the new game.

Warruz
2011-02-28, 07:16 AM
TR /salute

I SandRock
2011-02-28, 09:00 AM
strafe to make your vehicles undodgeable (they're called magmowers for a reason, and it's the only vehicle in the game where the pilot gets more kills than the gunner, for crying out loud),

Lawl u mad. The magrider is balanced but it's not at all as you describe. Strafing still gets you killed, it's all about keeping max distance and constantly moving (not just strafing). And the pilot doesn't get more kills unless the gunner is a total windowlicker.

and lashers are hardly a slouch when you bring them in force.

Yeah, we have to bring a zerg to beat your HA while TR/NC HA is a one man army.

Funny how those who only play TR and NC say how VS is fine and really strong but those who play VS + something else can see the difference.

HA / MA of VS suck. The AI MAX is okayish I guess. The NC AI MAX can mow down enemies easier. And for those saying "yeh but u haz jetpacks" yes, we do, but TR have deployable mode and NC have a shield.

My mate hardly plays PS atm so I been playing NC. I feel OP.

Bags
2011-02-28, 09:24 AM
Funny how those who only play TR and NC say how VS is fine and really strong but those who play VS + something else can see the difference.

HA / MA of VS suck. The AI MAX is okayish I guess. The NC AI MAX can mow down enemies easier. And for those saying "yeh but u haz jetpacks" yes, we do, but TR have deployable mode and NC have a shield.

You're right, VS is soooo much harder than TR / NC.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/4496/vshardsmallest.png

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7818/vsstillhardsmallest.png

From last night, foot zerging with lasher / pulsar / lancer.

I'm also not sure how being able to make TR maxes an easier target from behind is better than jump jets?

Vancha
2011-02-28, 09:24 AM
Bahahaha.

Last time I played it was "Funny how those who people play VS and NC say how TR is fine and really strong, but those who play TR + something else can see the difference."

I wonder which iteration of the lasher we'll see in PSN, if any...

Grimster
2011-02-28, 09:42 AM
Holy crap I just got another flashback.

I remember the patch when they beefed up the Lasher so it got ridiculously OP.

Oh man it really sucked to be either NC or TR back then. :)

Hamma
2011-02-28, 09:58 AM
Ok folks let's keep this on topic. Debating weapon balance in the current game when deciding where to go in the next game is not on topic and can be discussed in the general PlanetSide forum.

Nothing to see here.. move along.. ;)

Furret
2011-02-28, 11:22 AM
lol hamma, it prolly does.

Most people don't play their empire because it 'looks pretty'.

cept for vanus, but thems some sketchy folk.

Vancha
2011-02-28, 12:03 PM
Most people don't play their empire because it 'looks pretty'.
Speak for yourself. The vanu aesthetics, rexo especially, was the reason I picked VS when I first started, while one aspect of my aversion to TR is that black primary/red secondary are the most boring, over-used colours ever (especially for the "bad guys".)

Bags
2011-02-28, 12:05 PM
I picked TR because they looked bad ass and I liked the MCG noise when used en masse.

If the the vanu didn't have bel-bottomed rexo I might switch to them; they're always a lot more supportive (no one helps repair/med you on NC, and on TR only lowbies do)

Not to mention there's lots of maxes to hide behind.

Hamma
2011-02-28, 08:34 PM
I love the sound of the MCG above all other HA.

Goku
2011-03-01, 06:45 AM
I love the sound of the MCG above all other HA.

Agreed. Especially in a base hack and your outfit buddy comes up behind letting a few rounds off. I have jumped out of my chair on more then one occasion from that. Never from a lasher though, since I figure they guy is just trying to spam me to death.

At the moment I feel I am sticking NC. Though I have always wanted to play TR.

Lartnev
2011-03-01, 12:06 PM
At the moment I feel I am sticking NC. Though I have always wanted to play TR.

Come on over the the good guys... and bring a Vanguard with you ;)

Traak
2011-03-03, 11:39 AM
Faction? Who fights for a faction? I go where the fun is. TR being stupid, I switch to VS. If VS are being stupid, I will try NC. It's a game. There is no loyalty expected, none given, except to loyalty to those with whom I am sided at any particular time. When I'm on an Empire, I'm there 100%. Until their stupidity level reaches some new shocking nadir, then I jump ship and find those who are being smarter.

My faction is the "fun" faction. And the ability to quit and move elsewhere is how I live, so it reflects in my game play. I have been in four hemispheres and three continents in the last year, and five countries. Unless it is a "one empire per account" deal, I don't imagine chaining myself to a single empire any more than I chain myself to one place in the real world.

Hamma
2011-03-03, 01:01 PM
Well not everyone is a lone wolf who just is in it for themselves in an inherently team game ;)

Sounds like one of the many non-MMO FPS options out there are a better fit.

Manitou
2011-03-03, 01:11 PM
Faction? Who fights for a faction? I go where the fun is. TR being stupid, I switch to VS. If VS are being stupid, I will try NC. It's a game. There is no loyalty expected, none given, except to loyalty to those with whom I am sided at any particular time. When I'm on an Empire, I'm there 100%. Until their stupidity level reaches some new shocking nadir, then I jump ship and find those who are being smarter.

My faction is the "fun" faction. And the ability to quit and move elsewhere is how I live, so it reflects in my game play. I have been in four hemispheres and three continents in the last year, and five countries. Unless it is a "one empire per account" deal, I don't imagine chaining myself to a single empire any more than I chain myself to one place in the real world.
Interesting view. May I ask if you are part of an outfit in PlanetSide?

Bags
2011-03-03, 02:39 PM
I'm in an outfit, but that doesn't prove much. (I'm the only one in it atm who has played in the last 230 days)

Just saying.

CGar
2011-03-03, 03:01 PM
I'm very torn. I was TR from start to finish of my PS career, but I always wanted a taste of the NC punch.

I always liked the NC colors/style more, but evereyone I knew was on TR, and I liked the TR weaponry a little more.

However, I think TR had the most satisfying colors when it came to hijacking faction exclusive vehicles, mmmmm, black and red Vanguards/Magriders :D

So... conflicted...

Manitou
2011-03-03, 03:47 PM
I'm in an outfit, but that doesn't prove much. (I'm the only one in it atm who has played in the last 230 days)

Just saying.
Depends on the Outfit. ;)

NKGotMilk
2011-03-03, 05:08 PM
i've rolled with the minigun before, and i'll roll with it again

Effective
2011-03-12, 07:11 AM
I'll go where my outfit goes, which I'm assuming is going to be TR

Canaris
2011-03-12, 07:25 AM
I bleed Red, TR 4 Life!

Traak
2011-03-12, 07:38 PM
Depends on the Outfit. ;)

Okay, how about Dayton triple-soles, Levi's and a leather jacket.

krnasaur
2011-03-12, 08:05 PM
NC= baby hippies who want to stick it to the man
VS= dumbass tourists
TR= total f**ing badasses

I think I know who im sticking with

MgFalcon
2011-03-13, 12:37 PM
VS all the way, at one point Band of Bros switched over to TR for like a month or so... and it fucking killed me, I missed my lasers too much. Also I can hate/tell people that Barney just killed them!

Shakrah
2011-03-18, 07:46 AM
First faction I chose the moment I fired PS was TR, the last faction will be TR. NC and VS are nice to play just to do something different, but if it comes to really recapture the spirit of the original, then it has to be "your" faction.

Nice question though, I think this is fundamentally the backbone of this game that you identify with one team.

Azellon
2011-03-18, 04:19 PM
I've never spent much time on NC, and I like TR or VS about equally to be entirely honest, for completely different reasons.

I'll likely roll VS to start and check out TR when I get bored.

SgtMAD
2011-03-25, 05:19 PM
Same empire

same server{west coast}

same outfit

same friggin guys

I have already done all my recruiting

DviddLeff
2011-03-25, 05:51 PM
I do feel sorry for people who haven't found a solid outfit to roll with.

Saying that my outfit has been barely active in PS for the past 4 years, myself included.

Baneblade
2011-03-26, 12:08 AM
I was in Ht awhile ago for like a week, and more recently NCSO... but there weren't many outfits worth joining for awhile at all really. Honestly my best outfit experiences were VS and TR.

Sentrosi
2011-03-26, 06:28 AM
There is nothing better in Planetside than finding that one great outfit accomplishing something great. Having said that CDL will likely stay TR. Of course, things could change once we experience PSN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRex
2011-03-27, 04:26 AM
Since theres going to be no bfr's or corecombat in PS:N , I'm assuming PS:N will maybe actually be a sort of prequel to the original.
Maybe that explains the greyishness of the few screenshots we've had so far , and maybe the whole wormhole /time zone has changed and not been pre-determined yet.
There will be Terran Repulblic, and maybe the start of emerging New Conglomerate . The Vanu may not be around yet and some pre-cursor to the vanu is here but without ancient tech since there no core .
Just my imagination running away with me, but one can only hope . I will go with the new Vanu and their new weapon structure if thats the case.
Prays for a kind of LinkGun ( like UT2004) to replace the lasher.

Sgt Grizzly
2011-03-29, 09:59 AM
Assuming VS are included and its one faction per server, are you going to stick with your faction from the original?

I want to stick with VS as I love the Mag (again, assuming its in game), but I wouldn't mind switching to one of the easy mode empires :p

You?

My friends and I will be going TR again. None of this purple laser crap. :evil: NC were alright but I still preferred the ballistics given to the TR(cycler/minigun) and of course I loooooooooooooooved my marauder. :)

Anxious, however, to see what toys each faction gets this time 'round.

Sgt Grizzly
2011-03-29, 10:16 AM
oops