PDA

View Full Version : you may have won the battle, but - oh wait you won the war.

lostabyss
2011-03-02, 02:51 AM
i posted this in the OF, as a reply to some thread, and kinda wanted to see PSU's opinion. i have no doubt that this has been discussed before.

I had an idea recently after reading this wonderful story (which i posted in the TR forums) http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/200...anetside-the-1/

basically, winning is a great motivator right? well, how about if you could win the war for your side?

my idea was that after one faction has locked down another factions home continents/planets/whatever, they then gained access to fight and attempt to control that factions sanctuary. perhaps with a small window of oppurtunity to fight, a higher than normal pop cap, while the home base isn't limited, and a longer hacking period? some kind of attacker handicap. and these sanctuarys could, well should, be more fortress-like.

what happens when a faction loses? the outfits choose whether to 'assimilate' or 'defect', and the non-outfitted players choose for themselves. the winnning faction would gain access to the defeated factions tech, while the defeated faction would have both their own tech and their new allies tech. but i feel there should probably be some way to limit the 3rd factions ability to use the losers tech. otherwise defecting players could just spawn their vehicles and weapons and drop them, or worse, someone could do that with an alt. it is then down to two factions, the lost factions home worlds would have no effect on winning or losing other than control would give benefits. and the final battle declaring a victor/loser would work the same as the first time, except modified for the larger number of players.

the payout? victorious players (victors and some assimilators/defectors) would of course gain bragging rights, but also a boost to XP gain. perhaps a faction tech of their choice that is locked to their character for the next round of war. maybe extra cert points? an extra implant slot? they wouldn't get all this, these are merely suggestions.

but only giving the winners something would make the game unbalanced for the next round. the losers would perhaps get something of the abovementioned perks, maybe their weapons and vehicles would get something of a 5% boost (anything larger seems like it could be unfair even though it seems insignificant, i'm mainly thinking in the way of splash or lasher damage though)

these perks would of course not carry and stack, they would reset after the next victory or, maybe they'll reset after half the period of time it took for the victors to win the war.

these wars could probably be labeled through decades, or just some acronym and a number: WC - war cycle, GFW - great faction war, etc.

this is totally open to ideas, critiques and flames. it just seems that when your so close to achieving something, there is more of a drive to finish it.

Vancha
2011-03-02, 08:12 AM
I can't even remember how many times I've linked that article over the last couple of years. I've yet to find a better way to explain the magic of Planetside to someone who's never played it.

I think there's certainly a place for more definite "defeat" of an empire, be it becoming a part of the storyline, an empire bonus, deciding development etc. (vanu get beat, then NC+TR get a slightly vanu-ish, yet distinctly NC/TR-style weapon in the next patch maybe?)

Eliminating empires from the game though? No.

The Desert Fox
2011-03-02, 09:17 AM
I think the week PSN comes out they should unlock the sancs and make it a no hold bar match. Make it to wear a faction can win the game, for bragging rights alone even. I mean once PSN comes out who cares about the original? Some people around here have been fighting for 8 years, how nice would it be to finally get a pat on the pack with a screen saying "congratulations, you won. Now go fight on the next game lol". Every time I get on vent with my outfit I make it a joke to always ask "is the war over yet? can we go home?" and how awesome would it be to hear "yeah it is, and we won".

Rbstr
2011-03-02, 09:48 AM
Winning conditions have only been brought up in a dozen threads.

We don't need a new one every time someone has the same idea - Read, use the search, don't be a lazy poster.

Timantium
2011-03-02, 01:32 PM
So the only faction that really loses is the faction that didn't win or lose, since they are the only ones who don't get new access to extra tech?

I don't get it, if TR beat me into my sanc, I have to choose to be TR or NC? I don't like this idea. If you want a "final winner" go play something with a timer like CoD.

I think the week PSN comes out they should unlock the sancs and make it a no hold bar match. Make it to wear a faction can win the game, for bragging rights alone even. I mean once PSN comes out who cares about the original? Some people around here have been fighting for 8 years, how nice would it be to finally get a pat on the pack with a screen saying "congratulations, you won. Now go fight on the next game lol". Every time I get on vent with my outfit I make it a joke to always ask "is the war over yet? can we go home?" and how awesome would it be to hear "yeah it is, and we won".

Yeah, as soon as PS:N comes out, who will still be playing PS?

basti
2011-03-02, 01:58 PM
This entire idea would work out just perfect, if players would be bots...

With all the social interaction happening between the players, it would suck to call your former enemys friends, just because you raped them in their sanc. It would even more suck to get new friends that belong to the once enemy faction, just to see them being enemys after the last faction lost and the stuff is resettet. You would in fact just kick alot of players out of the game with the first cycle.

So no. It could be alot of fun, but has way to much downsides to be worth it.

The Desert Fox
2011-03-02, 02:16 PM
So the only faction that really loses is the faction that didn't win or lose, since they are the only ones who don't get new access to extra tech?

I don't get it, if TR beat me into my sanc, I have to choose to be TR or NC? I don't like this idea. If you want a "final winner" go play something with a timer like CoD.

Yeah, as soon as PS:N comes out, who will still be playing PS? I completely agree, thus the reason I said "the week psn comes out" cause then the winner is simply a bragging rights thing cause everyone will be playing psn. Like a ps finally.

Timantium
2011-03-02, 02:26 PM
I completely agree, thus the reason I said "the week psn comes out" cause then the winner is simply a bragging rights thing cause everyone will be playing psn. Like a ps finally.

Ok, you win. In the time you are using to cap bases in PS, we will be conquering your sanc in PS:N. Once PS:N comes out, who cares what happens in PS, let the hackers use it as a playground for all I care (in fact, that might help keep them out of PS:N).

The Desert Fox
2011-03-02, 02:36 PM
Oh dear god you are simply not getting what I'm saying so let me walk you through it. If psn comes out on a Thursday, how nice would it be.if let's say starting Tuesday you had the.ability to invade other factions sancs if you sanc lock them, that lasted until the minute psn came out to let ps go out with a bang and.get everyone pumped for psn. Get it now?

Timantium
2011-03-02, 03:28 PM
Then you need to go back and say the week before PS:N comes out... Not the week it comes out.

The Desert Fox
2011-03-02, 04:18 PM
but its not, the week before would before, this is the week the game comes out.