PDA

View Full Version : a concern of command and control

p0intman
2011-03-04, 01:58 AM
Greetings, my ingame name is p0intman. I'm an NC CR5 on gemini. I've had my backpack since 2004-2005 for those who do not know me or haven't heard of me. I like to think of myself as one of the few CR5s who knows what they're doing and can get things done when they need to be.

as my role of being a high level commander, I have access to a lot of information flow and can read the battlefield really quite well. I keep an eye on maps and don't often BS on command chat.

One of my biggest problems isn't... leading the zerg, or finding more AMS drivers, or ant drivers or anything.

No... its more simple.

You see, theres a language problem in command chat.

Allow me to illustrate.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/6168/chineeseexample.jpg

Yes, the Chinese.

As much as I love my CN brothers, and the PLA and Sky army group to be specific... I just can't understand what they're saying. It poses an issue for me. They can be saying something useful and I won't see it, and nobody seems willing to translate it.

Earlier tonight, if you were on NC, you'd of seen me say that while i really do like the chineese players - don't get me wrong, they do amazing crap for all of our empires - they need their own server for PSX.

But that got me to thinking.

why do they need their own server if its just lag and a barrier of communication?

i want translators for this purpose, coded ingame with localisation and such.

so if any of the next developers are lurking and reading this, there you go. we need translation abilities.

Baneblade
2011-03-04, 02:43 AM
The problem as it has always been and is quite clearly still: NC CR5pams never know when to stfu.

~ActiveX

Jamini
2011-03-04, 06:26 AM
The problem as it has always been and is quite clearly still: NC CR5pams never know when to stfu.

~ActiveX

So true it hurts.

I try not to spam much :(

klu
2011-03-04, 09:06 AM
with word coming from the ps:n chinese publisher, does that make it more likely there will be a chinese server right from the start? anyone know what involvement, if any, a chinese pub had with ps?

p0intman
2011-03-04, 09:14 AM

~ActiveX

Believe it or not, we actually do try to work together and some of us wouldnt mind if irishgunner and popgun, etc were gagged.

anyway, my complaint remains... i cannot understand them.

Rbstr
2011-03-04, 10:29 AM
It may be that SOE will go the EVE route and have the Chinese server be a nearly separate game that's localised and might be unavailable to people outside the country.

Implementing machine translation would probably end up being hilarious, and little else. Especially given the broken grammar that live chats usually have.

Lonehunter
2011-03-04, 11:17 AM
Implementing machine translation would probably end up being hilarious, and little else. Especially given the broken grammar that live chats usually have.

I imagine the development time making software able to translate Chinese 15 year old internet slang to American 15 year old slang would take longer then PS:N's lol. There's the different spellings, then when you add random spaces, misspellings, all kinds of issues with this.

Traak
2011-03-04, 12:29 PM
How about the ability to send text messages to others that are a limited set of sayings like we have with voice macros, but have more of a command scope?

Right now if I say "Hello" in my character, I hear it as "Hello" but the Chinese guy hears it as Xin Chao or whatever they have stuck on that voice macro. Or maybe he hears, in Chinese "Hello from the inferior imperialist capitalist pig-dog who should be subservient to one such as you, a possible descendent of Ghengis Khan." I mean, I have no idea what the voice macros in PS sound like in the other languages.

But kidding (only temporarily, as always) aside, If I could have an option to do command, squad, and global messages that had a standard set of commands, that would display in their language to whoever was playing, it would rock.

"AMS to Kaang."
"Need more AMSes"
"Doesn't anyone cert AMS???"
"Okay, I will bring an AMS."
"There is more than one empire AMS allowed per week."

LOL
"ANT to Kaang."
"Virus on Kaang, please"
"We need AA at WG 1 on Solsar" (numbered WG's would simplify things)
"NC at SE Kaang air tower" assuming there is such a thing. Numbered towers might help also.
In fact, if globals could ONLY be a certain set of words common to all empires and situations, just think how much less annoying globals would be. No more boasting about your teenage girlfriend, etc.

Baneblade
2011-03-04, 01:12 PM
Believe it or not, we actually do try to work together and some of us wouldnt mind if irishgunner and popgun, etc were gagged.

anyway, my complaint remains... i cannot understand them.

IRISHGUNNER is my favorite walking embarrassment. He isn't actually Chinese though. Maybe he sold his account? Get it banned.

Timantium
2011-03-04, 02:27 PM
Would they package it differently and call it Pranetside: Next?

Couldn't resist.

Ant001
2011-03-04, 02:43 PM
You guys know that we all had our own server that merged when pops went down. So we should have no reason to think that will change. So I suspect we will have a european one (werner) an east coast and west coast us and definetly a few chineese ones.

Sgteppinjer
2011-03-05, 10:11 AM
That would be sick

andehh
2011-03-05, 10:28 AM
Would they package it differently and call it Pranetside: Next?

Couldn't resist.

i signed up because of that comment, that is absolutely _hilarious_. I'm going to be laughing at that for ages! :rofl::rofl: :D

Hamma
2011-03-05, 11:48 AM
:lol:

I don't think machine translation is much of a possibility. If anything their own server would be best rather than the devs spending tons of time on perfecting machine translation.

Warruz
2011-03-05, 02:01 PM
PS should take a note from FF11 then, having a list of phrases that translate to diff languages.

p0intman
2011-03-05, 03:10 PM
In fact, if globals could ONLY be a certain set of words common to all empires and situations, just think how much less annoying globals would be. No more boasting about your teenage girlfriend, etc.

the emphasised portion, I believe is an unfair generalisation for whatever its worth.

IRISHGUNNER is my favorite walking embarrassment. He isn't actually Chinese though. Maybe he sold his account? Get it banned.

He didnt sell his account, as far as I know.