PDA

View Full Version : Certification process via VR training

Sovereign
2011-03-05, 03:42 PM
Recently I have reminisced on all the highlights of my time in PS, the period that always stood out to me was in the genesis of the game (for me) when I went into the VR training the guy there showed me tricks of the trade with all the vehicles and such even given a somewhat in depth anaylsis on how they handle etc etc...

Then I had this thought, why not expand on this excellent feature in the next game? Say make it where you go through VR test in order to attain certs, not only would it add to the immersive value of the game but it will benefit players who would otherwise most likely skip VR training and prove to be nothing more then cannon fodder to the enemy.

So share your opinions and thoughts on this if you so feel inclined.. :)

Evilmp
2011-03-05, 04:22 PM
I think it would be interesting for the very first time you certify something on a character. after that, it would be a painful chore.

DviddLeff
2011-03-05, 04:31 PM
I liked the Americas army training scheme in which you had to hit/destroy a certain number of targets with a weapon to be able to qualify with it and then use it in the multiplayer games. In PS you would have to qualify in VR to cert it.

At the very least it would give thumper users a chance to try out the gun properly beforethey start racking up the greif points!

Imp, I would imagine that once you qualify for a weapon o vehicle you wouldn't have to go through the training again.

CutterJohn
2011-03-05, 07:01 PM
I see no good reason to require training to use things in a game. Its already a game, with zero consequence. Just go use it.

brinkdadrink
2011-03-05, 09:39 PM
I like the fact that you have to strive for something. If this was a test in a training area or getting a certain number a kills/whatever with something to get something else or adv something im all for it.
I would say the number of medics on the battle field would greatly decrease if they had training like AA had for medics but honestly i dont think that would be a bad thing as long as they make it easier to get to the battle field.

Rbstr
2011-03-05, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't mind some kind of competency system with a gun that lets you level up your proficiency for minor bonuses, like accuracy or reload speed based on how much you used the gun. Those are the kinds of things you get better at with familiarity, your bullets certainly don't get stronger.

But I got really tired of having to do the training missions for AA. It wasn't like you actually got better at using the gun or whatever, it was mostly just an annoying nintendo-hard segment (I'm looking at you sneaking mission thing).

So what if people want to skip the VR? I can easily read up on the weapons and things in the game before hand.

Bags
2011-03-05, 10:03 PM
Require it once per cert per account AT MOST.

Traak
2011-03-05, 11:12 PM
Agree with Bags.

Hamma
2011-03-06, 09:33 AM
While an interesting idea I'm not really sure it would add much to the game other than an annoyance feature.

Jamini
2011-03-07, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't mind some kind of competency system with a gun that lets you level up your proficiency for minor bonuses, like accuracy or reload speed based on how much you used the gun. Those are the kinds of things you get better at with familiarity, your bullets certainly don't get stronger.

The underlined part.

This is a bad idea.

Giving vets an advantage over new users for using identical weapons is a surefire way to kill interest in a competitive FPS. Even battlefield doesn't do that (and quite frankly, the default guns in EVERY battlefield game are equal or superior to unlockable weapons. The misic stuff is arguably better, but you can get your maximum carry-able misc items (such as shotgun attachments, defibs, mines, C4) within six hours of total gametime. Hell, BF2142 allows you to TRY new unlocks by just playing in a squad and following objectives.

Hamma
2011-03-07, 10:09 AM
Agreed we need to totally stay away from that. APB did it and it was horrible, folks who played 24/7 would just totally lay waste to anyone else who was new it was stupid.

Vicini
2011-03-09, 03:32 PM
I like the idea, it might also be a way to prevent excess greifing. rack up too many greif points and lose your weapon cert! Then gg bro go back to school and find the part where its ok it says it cool to nuke your buds.

Traak
2011-03-10, 04:43 PM
Also, include Friendly dummies in VR training, and have a variety of situations, so you learn what the blast radius is of your thumper (or knife, if using cheats) so you can avoid grief by knowing the boundaries and limits.