PDA

View Full Version : this game isnt happening

duck
2011-03-09, 08:41 PM
It's been almost a month since we last saw a render from PS "next."

Aside from screenshots, we got nothing. No release date, no trailer, no website, nothing. It's either this game is called off, or SOE is really really bad at PR (historically has been).
Why can't they learn from companies like EA that the more information you give out to the public gaming community, the better. I cant think of any game where the developers neglected their fans for way too long, and the game was succesful. If it's coming out this year, we should have a good grasp about this game. BF3 is coming out in the fall, and the fans are hyped up because EA can give the PC gamers what they want.

What's up with SOE? Give us trailers, videos, and more info or else this game is DOOMED

Hamma
2011-03-09, 09:04 PM
I fail to see how the game is doomed due to the lack of screenshots in the past few weeks.

Would you be making this argument if we hadn't seen anything at all yet?

krnasaur
2011-03-09, 09:18 PM
Because you never want to over-hype a game, thats why. I can see march the start of the ad campaign / website.

Duck, everyone is excited. I wake up every morning and i check PSN immediately to see if new news had been released. Patience is a virtue.

Lonehunter
2011-03-09, 10:07 PM
Maybe he just wants to get his public doubt out there.
If most of the PS community decided the game wasn't coming out and the huge recent in game numbers went down I bet SOE would release 1 photo, and start this all over again lol

GaiaLegion
2011-03-09, 10:40 PM
I fail to see how the game is doomed due to the lack of screenshots in the past few weeks.

Would you be making this argument if we hadn't seen anything at all yet?

It's not just "screenshots" that we haven't seen (actually we have never seen a screenshot, just models if you recall), we have no information about the game whatsoever. Everything is inference at this point, and, even though the game is supposedly going to be playable sometime this month, not a single piece of legitimate information has been released.

The game MIGHT exist, but its almost certainly not going to be coming out (or be playable) any time soon. Smedley definitely just said it was to bump up the subscriber count on PS1.

Hate to be a negative nancy; I want this game to come out really bad, but all evidence points to the contrary.

PsychoXR-20
2011-03-09, 11:00 PM
It's been almost a month since we last saw a render from PS "next."

Oh god, a whole MONTH with out any information QUICK HEAD FOR THE HILLS, THE SKY IS FALLING.

PlanetSide released it's first screen shots several YEARS before the game came out. Then there was a period, of almost a year where there was nothing, not one drip of information, the website was even non-existent for most of that time.

Is your attention span so short that if a game doesn't release new info every other day, it's vaporware, non-existent and doomed?

brinkdadrink
2011-03-09, 11:07 PM
Its been a month even though i thought they were going to give us something every friday. The way they announced that PS:N was coming out was vague too. Honestly I come here to check the home page to see if something is new and then i go to the Firefall forums because i know its actually coming out.

Even if this game is coming out this year its losing a lot of easy advertising time by having a simple website up. They dont even have that up. I want this game, I really do but in 2 weeks im probobly going to give up because march will be over and no announcement made.

Raymac
2011-03-09, 11:08 PM
Hey, it's a little early for harikari guys. Calm down. It's a safe bet we'll get some more information.

Highwind
2011-03-09, 11:33 PM
The OP has a point in a way. I am concerned not that the game will never come out, but that it won't reach out to the people that need to hear about it before its too late.

If the Planetside Faithful that still come to this site weekly or even daily aren't getting their media fix for Planetside:Next, then to your average gamer Planetside isn't even on the radar.

Remember that "Bungie MMO Action Game" in the gamer headlines the other day? Everyone thought it would be an FPS MMO and yet even narrowed down to that fine of a point, I saw maybe 2 comments about Planetside "One" or "Next" in comments area of two or three websites I looked at. People just don't know about the Planetside's Legacy or its upcoming future.

I dearly want PS:Next to be a success in every way the first was and way more, we all do, but if it is having a hard time getting its name dropped after stories like that, it has no name recognition at all it feels like. They need to get the hype machine rolling if they what to release in the next year, even year and half the way I see it.

Aractain
2011-03-09, 11:37 PM
To be fair we have only seen a few (unfinished) renders. So far they have barely put out more than what half-life mods used to do. Remember those weapon renders for canceled mods?

They better have a shed load of info ready. I don't want a slow trickle. We need to know now if they are doing Planetside properly.

Canaris
2011-03-10, 03:46 AM
I say we all pool our money and rent a catapult or trebuchet and set it up outside the SOE HQ, then as a warning shot we fire Duck at them just to show how serious we are about PS-N, sorry Duck you need to take one for the team.

SKYeXile
2011-03-10, 03:54 AM
I say we all pool our money and rent a catapult or trebuchet and set it up outside the SOE HQ, then as a warning shot we fire Duck at them just to show how serious we are about PS-N, sorry Duck you need to take one for the team.

clipping his wings yea?

Tikuto
2011-03-10, 02:17 PM
Excuse me.............

"lmfao"

Traak
2011-03-10, 04:31 PM
Hey, it's a little early for harikari guys. Calm down. It's a safe bet we'll get some more information.

hara kiri

Raymac
2011-03-10, 06:01 PM
hara kiri

Thanks for the spelling correction. :rolleyes:

Mag-Mower
2011-03-10, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the spelling correction. :rolleyes:

It was an essential part of your argument, didnt you know?

But seriously, its not like these screenshots came out of no where... There was a survey sent out about a year ago, and theres been little things dropped here and there before we even got the first screenshots. Then within a couple of weeks we got more screen shots, and devs commenting on stuff. Just because there hasnt been anything for a bit doesnt mean they've given up, its a little shirt sighted to start jumping to that conclusion.

NKGotMilk
2011-03-10, 08:47 PM
I don't believe that the game isn't coming out, but I do see what the OP is saying.

The game is supposedly going to come out in spring of this year, and yet here we are on the cusp of spring with not even a splash site that says "Planetside next: Coming soon!"

So is the game coming out? Yes, most definitely.

Is the game coming out in the spring? fat chance. Beta might activate in spring, but set your hopes for summer/fall for a live launch, because launching your website along with your live version of the game at the exact same time is rarely a good idea.

Vancha
2011-03-10, 09:19 PM
I think this is more a case of us getting information/renders very, very prematurely because we're a fansite that's loyal to the game and mistaking that for some kind of marketing.

Also, I know there was that weird article a while back about PSN being released in spring, but I think it's probably the announcement of the game being in development that we might see in spring. I don't want to see this game until at least late this year, if not next.

Firefly
2011-03-10, 10:04 PM
this game isnt happening
You're a fucking idiot. Shut up.

Highwind
2011-03-11, 01:55 AM
...But seriously, its not like these screenshots came out of no where... There was a survey sent out about a year ago, and theres been little things dropped here and there before we even got the first screenshots.

...Just because there hasn't been anything for a bit doesn't mean they've given up, its a little short sighted to start jumping to that conclusion.

I've thought it over some more, and I don't really like the idea of adding to our spell of pessimism it felt like we had going here for a minute. But Mag-Mower has a point that taking into account the timing of PSN survey a while back puts the games development cycle in a little better perspective.

At least for me, I know I just got really excited about all the news recently coupled with the rumors about March being really important, like Release or Beta type important that things just got out of perspective.

So what I am thinking now is it time for another survey? or is it to the point where all opinions and changes should be made at the beta / alpha level rather then polls?

I am conflicted because for example this forum has many great ideas but collectively together they all wouldn't meld well into a great game. Some ideas on either end of the spectrum would have to go for the greater good. So in the end, the developers will still have to make the "right" decision because we all can't have our personally favorite ideas every time... and that is the hardest part for me... having faith that progress is being made in the best possible direction behind closed doors.

Media blackout was stressing me out a little, but you know what? The wait will be worth it. :D

2coolforu
2011-03-11, 12:11 PM
Awww, no exclusive screenshots in 3 weeks THE GAME MUST BE ALL LIEEEEEEEEEEEES.

Jeez when did people become such nublets, I expect better of the Planetside community. As someone said before, we spent nearly a year between the first Pside screenies and the actual game. Without one drip of info between, no websites, no devs talking to us - no nothing so quit your whining and stop expecting to have the game delivered to your demands along with special treatment in terms of screenshots and game information.

Y'know they might wanna not reveal the entire game just yet, just saying. They've already confirmed that there are similar vehicles and similar empires, that's a massive load of exclusive information right there.

Also how about Mass Effect 3, we haven't heard anything new about that in months. OMFG MASS EFFECT IS VAPORWARE, ITS NEVA COMIN OUT, THEY AREN'T MAKIN It ITS ALL LIIEEES.

(Sigh)

Aractain
2011-03-11, 12:59 PM
Its about the fact that smedly made half these people belive that its being released next month. If he said, "October" people wouldn't mind so much.

I still think he ment an announcement in q1/q2 or release fiscal q1/q2.

Infektion
2011-03-11, 01:33 PM

LOL! Dude, you gotta be careful... I got a warning for telling some one to "GTFO" ... what pussies.

FastAndFree
2011-03-11, 01:48 PM
Its about the fact that smedly made half these people belive that its being released next month. If he said, "October" people wouldn't mind so much.

I still think he ment an announcement in q1/q2 or release fiscal q1/q2.

But then there was this (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105953-Sony-Online-Strongly-Hints-Planetside-Sequel-Coming-This-Spring)

Of course they can weasel out of that one, since they just "hinted"

Grimster
2011-03-11, 03:21 PM

WB Firefly I missed your direct and honest feedback. :)

Aractain
2011-03-11, 03:53 PM
But then there was this (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105953-Sony-Online-Strongly-Hints-Planetside-Sequel-Coming-This-Spring)

Of course they can weasel out of that one, since they just "hinted"

Yeah, when I say "I think" perhaps I mean "I want" because... well, APB anyone?

Evilmp
2011-03-11, 04:03 PM
nobody can ever say a game is doomed until they wait at least as long as the fans for DNF did.

that is hard proof that nothing is predictable.

Sifer2
2011-03-11, 06:21 PM
nobody can ever say a game is doomed until they wait at least as long as the fans for DNF did.

that is hard proof that nothing is predictable.

True however DNF really was scraped an rebuilt like 3 or 4 times over the years. What we will play soon is probably little like it was originally.

An DNF should never be mentioned if your trying to inspire hope an encourage people to be patient lol.

Hamma
2011-03-11, 07:49 PM
LOL! Dude, you gotta be careful... I got a warning for telling some one to "GTFO" ... what pussies.

No you got a warning for being elitist.

We welcome new people in this community but you told them to gtfo just because they were new. I guess if you want to air your dirty laundry in public so can we eh? ;) Oh.. and Firefly has been here since 2003, funny how that can be turned around..

Firefly
2011-03-11, 11:53 PM
No you got a warning for being elitist.

We welcome new people in this community but you told them to gtfo just because they were new. I guess if you want to air your dirty laundry in public so can we eh? ;) Oh.. and Firefly has been here since 2003, funny how that can be turned around..
I also have a medically-documented case of Tourettes.

Ya bunch of sally-assed dick-suckers.

Firefly
2011-03-11, 11:58 PM
FUCK SALT!

BOB SAGET!

Baneblade
2011-03-12, 12:02 AM
I'd be more worried if they were drowning us in stuff. That is what developers with too much free time do.

Canaris
2011-03-12, 02:54 AM
And now for something completely different

YouTube - The Duck Song