PDA

View Full Version : Planetside Radio - Outfit Stations

Canaris
2011-03-12, 03:54 AM
Just had an idea about something you could incorporate into the outfit systems.
Most outfits in the end of the day are groups of friends who get together to play and have fun.

Outfit Radio -

Concept: Once an outfit reaches a certain size / gets enough Outfit Points, they can launch their own private/public radio station.
The outfit commander can select some officers and give them the DJ access.
I was thinking of either the officer title as Officer of Propaganda, PR officer of silly something like that.
The commander can select if the radio is public (Open to all of your Empire/Faction on the radio menu) or private (outfit only)

This allows them to run a program to up load song to the radio and create play lists or genre and albums.
While in game if there's some news to be distributed the PR officer can interrupt the signal to give "Special Reports" or to do abit of yakking.

I know there's alot of room for messing but just like the real radio you can just turn it off.

What do you peeps think, to much? no place in PS? you likey? :)

Grimster
2011-03-12, 03:57 AM
I think it is a really cool idea, but I wonder how the upload would work as it would require SOE to dedicate a lot of storage to whatever Outfits decide to upload?

Not sure it would be practical and it would be a potential large extra cost for SOE dedicating storage to that matter.

Ant001
2011-03-12, 04:06 AM
This would infringe copyright so is a non starter.

Canaris
2011-03-12, 04:08 AM
hmm very good point on storage needs, maybe some way of live streaming the music from the players PC would negate it.

They have the PS sub folder on their own PC that allows a program to access a specific music format file that then can be live streamed via something similar to a VOIP system?
The cost incurred would be the players bandwidth to have the radio, just like using a Team speak system?

Hamma
2011-03-12, 12:52 PM
Very neat idea for sure but as mentioned - there's just to many liabilities for them to open it up.

Rbstr
2011-03-12, 04:41 PM
Copyright lawyers would flip a shit at that.

krnasaur
2011-03-12, 06:16 PM
Ok, here is the problem, SOE would need to own the rights to every song played on this gadget. A colossal amount of money. A simple way todo this would be (what i have done in other games where i use teamspeak/vent) I just set it up on another computer so my audio output is the same as the microphone input and boom, free radio to everyone on that TS channel.

edit: a tip, make sure it is set to mute teamspeak from the mixer, or else you will get crazy feedback.

Canaris
2011-03-16, 03:27 AM
ah very good points on Copyrights, wait a minute this is Sony tho! Don't they already own most of the music on the planet :lol:

THUNDARIUS
2011-03-16, 07:50 AM
You just gave SOE another way to advertise in game.