PDA

View Full Version : smed tweeting again

morf
2011-03-29, 09:22 PM
Smed is sending out a flurry of tweets right this second. Most interesting so far is someone asked if there would be an announcement this month, smed replied with a smiley face.

Goku
2011-03-29, 09:26 PM
Thats a smiley that says make a few hundred players stay subbed to PS, so he can go out Friday night and have it paid for :P.

Miir
2011-03-29, 09:31 PM
Is that a launch imminent smiley or a postponed smiley? I can't figure it out!!!!

:cry:

morf
2011-03-29, 09:31 PM
Personally I think it means announcement imminent. If there wasn't something coming why would he choose to reply to that particular tweet?

SavageB
2011-03-29, 10:08 PM
Don't get your hopes up.

Senyu
2011-03-29, 11:05 PM
And upon March 31st.......the news of planetside 2 came forth and erupted such monumentous exictment and attention the game was claimed as a "Revolutionary Achievement in FPS's". And so forth came the greastest mmo in history. And we all rejoiced in our faith and trust we placed in SOE and beleived Smed lead us rightly so.......

or fucking else :mad:

kklkit
2011-03-30, 01:09 AM
So the man has spoken.

DviddLeff
2011-03-30, 02:29 AM
Yeah he seems pretty positive and soon seems to be the gist.

otomotopia
2011-03-30, 02:33 AM
Why is he teething when he should be working?!!!

Nahh, just kidding. Any news is good news.

Grimster
2011-03-30, 03:56 AM
I doubt we will see anything this month. :)

LordReaver
2011-03-30, 07:54 AM
Yeah, a Wednesday or Thursday info release? I don't see it. Friday is April fools... It's not looking good at the moment..

Sgt Grizzly
2011-03-30, 08:26 AM
yeah, not looking good but I still have faith.

FastAndFree
2011-03-30, 08:35 AM
I see what they are up to!

There will be an utter lack of any news on friday, and then at 23:59:59 a huge release with the note "Haha you thought there really won't be an update, april fools!"

p0intman
2011-03-30, 09:17 AM
there was a gm on last night...

oh and:

YouTube - Planetside Next Beta Video

Rbstr
2011-03-30, 09:53 AM
yeah...that's totally not an original PS beta video.

krnasaur
2011-03-30, 10:31 AM

oh and:

YouTube - Planetside Next Beta Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obaj9gRGyYI)

The genius pointman comes through again. Thats an orginal beta vid.

p0intman
2011-03-30, 11:54 AM
i personally thought it was hilarious. i knew what it is.

look at the comments on it, lol.

Raymac
2011-03-30, 12:10 PM
Fuck these tweets. Fuck them right in the ear. At least it breaks the radio silence...but not by much.

I don't really give a shit about this mythical deadline of March to get something, but I just want some tangible information at some point. Smiley faces and "soon" is just giving me blue balls like watching an old episode of Cleopatra 2525.

p0intman
2011-03-30, 02:51 PM
worked up much?

Raymac
2011-03-30, 03:11 PM
Worked up? Hell yeah and it's time for some release. Me want happy ending.

krnasaur
2011-03-30, 03:58 PM
Me want happy ending.

Go to any urban street corner youll get one for like 20$

DviddLeff
2011-03-30, 04:16 PM
Lmao. Blue balls.

Sentrosi
2011-03-30, 04:24 PM
And upon March 31st.......the news of planetside 2 came forth and erupted such monumentous exictment and attention the game was claimed as a "Revolutionary Achievement in FPS's". And so forth came the greastest mmo in history. And we all rejoiced in our faith and trust we placed in SOE and beleived Smed lead us rightly so.......

or fucking else :mad:

"And then the Planetside pilgrims got hungry, and had to eat Smeds minstrels. And there was much rejoicing." - yaaaay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senyu
2011-03-30, 08:07 PM
god were so desperate a smiley face sends us on a craze.

Miir
2011-03-30, 08:09 PM
John had me at

:

Lonehunter
2011-03-30, 10:51 PM
an SOE employee said "Soon"? and a Smiley face? What is wrong with you people...

Platinumstorm
2011-03-30, 11:24 PM
SOE laying off 1/3 of workers.
http://kotaku.com/#!5787461/sonys-mmo-makers-close-three-studios-lay-off-one+third-of-workforce

LordReaver
2011-03-31, 12:34 AM

oh and:

YouTube - Planetside Next Beta Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obaj9gRGyYI)

That video peeves me, because I'm pretty sure I was the first one to upload that video to YouTube, then like two weeks later, that guy uploaded that one. I'm betting he downloaded it from mine, now he intentionally mislabels it to get views. As is the way of YouTube, I know. I just hate mislabels, especially when it's just to get quasi-fame.

Aractain
2011-03-31, 12:37 AM
No doubt the art team is no longer needed. PSN LAUNCH TOMORROW!!!

...lawl...

Baneblade
2011-03-31, 12:49 AM
...but I still have faith.

This is SOE we are talking about.

The Desert Fox
2011-03-31, 01:04 AM
Don't get me wrong, I am just as ready as everyone else for a big announcement or something. BUT I would love to see the clock count down until SOE crushes the souls of hundreds of dedicated PS Gamers. I would love to feel the sadness emanate from my computer screen LOL. 23 hours left...

Sifer2
2011-03-31, 01:26 AM
Do you guys really expect it to be announced now though? Everyone would wonder if it was an April fools joke. Maybe that is what the smiley was.

Grimster
2011-03-31, 01:32 AM
I find it a bit hilarious that we go crazy over some minor tweets from Smedley.

Damn I bet he is browsing these forums as a unregistered user and laughing his ass off. I know I would if that little info from me had that much impact. :)

Lucage
2011-03-31, 02:21 AM
That video peeves me, because I'm pretty sure I was the first one to upload that video to YouTube, then like two weeks later, that guy uploaded that one. I'm betting he downloaded it from mine, now he intentionally mislabels it to get views. As is the way of YouTube, I know. I just hate mislabels, especially when it's just to get quasi-fame.

No, I didn't download it from you. And it's mislabled for shits and giggles, not view counts. :)

LordReaver
2011-03-31, 03:03 AM
How is saying a video is something that it's not, funny?

Lucage
2011-03-31, 03:06 AM
You're getting your knickers in a twist. Seems pretty funny to me. :)

Aractain
2011-03-31, 03:18 AM
In this case its minorly funny because of the idea that Planetside 2 or Next will simply be a unfinished version of Planetside. This ties in with the quality of many of SOEs launch and bought game titles such as SWG, EQ2, Matrix online and Vangaurd. However this idea may be out of date as SOE has manage to launch Freerealms Online, a free to play kids game, with no major issues or design issues. They have also launched DC universe Online, another kids game I mean a console and PC game, that also only had a small load of things that were stupid.

Non of those games were any good however and only suitable for dwarf lovers (Elf lovers went to WoW).

We need a real war game! And I want it by march... next year.

Canaris
2011-03-31, 03:26 AM
In this case its minorly funny because of the idea that Planetside 2 or Next will simply be a unfinished version of Planetside. This ties in with the quality of many of SOEs launch and bought game titles such as SWG, EQ2, Matrix online and Vangaurd. However this idea may be out of date as SOE has manage to launch Freerealms Online, a free to play kids game, with no major issues or design issues. They have also launched DC universe Online, another kids game I mean a console and PC game, that also only had a small load of things that were stupid.

Non of those games were any good however and only suitable for dwarf lovers (Elf lovers went to WoW).

We need a real war game! And I want it by march... next year.

Want a bag of lemons to go with your pint of bitter?

LordReaver
2011-03-31, 03:28 AM
You seem easily amused Lucage.

Lucage
2011-03-31, 03:58 AM
:)

Moneypennie
2011-03-31, 08:17 AM
http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/11685/sony-online-closes-studios-the-agency-developer-affected-too

SOE is closing studios, the agency may not even launch, and that game was announced and everything. I don't think it will happen this month, or any month folks. Radio silence means that they probably found out that SOE was closing studios and the project got scrapped. I'm so sorry all. Hopefully someone else will pickup the project.

LordReaver
2011-03-31, 08:24 AM
http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/11685/sony-online-closes-studios-the-agency-developer-affected-too

SOE is closing studios, the agency may not even launch, and that game was announced and everything. I don't think it will happen this month, or any month folks. Radio silence means that they probably found out that SOE was closing studios and the project got scrapped. I'm so sorry all. Hopefully someone else will pickup the project.

That doesn't actually say anything worth worrying about. It's all just a bunch of mights and guesses.

otomotopia
2011-03-31, 08:30 AM
That doesn't actually say anything worth worrying about. It's all just a bunch of mights and guesses.

It's absolutely worth worrying about, but yes, it still comes down to nights and guesses.

LordReaver
2011-03-31, 08:36 AM
I tend to not give rumors much attention.

wolfkrone
2011-03-31, 10:50 AM
I'm clinging to the hope that PlanetSide Next will be finished even if The Agency is not. My reason for this optimism is that PlanetSide Next is creatively quite easy to make, i'd be happy with a new paint job and a couple of new vehicles.

The Agency seems like its had a lot of difficulties figuring out its core game play and content, its just one of those games that sounds more and more niche every time you hear something about it.

Arkaiden
2011-03-31, 11:07 AM

SOE is closing studios, the agency may not even launch, and that game was announced and everything.

Why is George Broussard their informant?

This confuses me....

Too damn close to April 1st imo.

morf
2011-03-31, 12:21 PM

GTFO my thread troll. Smed said announcement Q1/Q2. It's not even Q2 yet. Last thing he said was "We will be proud to show" I'm thinking e3 announcement.

Raymac
2011-03-31, 12:37 PM
Well, the sky isn't falling, but it does seem to be slipping.

otomotopia
2011-03-31, 01:03 PM
GTFO my thread troll. Smed said announcement Q1/Q2. It's not even Q2 yet. Last thing he said was "We will be proud to show" I'm thinking e3 announcement.

Wrong.

"We have a very big launch coming in the month of March," Smedley said. "It's a big first person shooter franchise that we're really happy with."

http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-planetside-next-spring-2011-2421.htm

Raymac
2011-03-31, 01:36 PM
Wrong.

"We have a very big launch coming in the month of March," Smedley said. "It's a big first person shooter franchise that we're really happy with."

I don't know. It's hard to say that a quote like that from early December consitutes a set in stone deadline. Considering the tweets yesterday, hopefully that information will be "soon".

Pella
2011-03-31, 02:02 PM
SOE are simply shifting staff around. to different departments.

They do this often, programmers, Designers dont stay with one game for its life time, they run a business and any new project they simply put the experienced guys in there to get it off the ground and running.

So this so called "department" is simply a shuffleup of staff to deal with what SOE got going on.

See smeds tweet below.

@j_smedley Anything new to release about Planetside:Next? thought we'd be in beta by mid-march :/

@Jake_Matter nothing new to report. Lots of work going on. A lot of new team members going onto it helping out. I mean a lot.

Dont belive the closure of departments bullcrap.

Some big changes are going on in SOE and we will know sooner rather than later.

Oty
2011-03-31, 02:02 PM
from PC gamer website quote:
SOE’s full official statement:
“As part of a strategic decision to reduce costs and streamline its global workforce, SOE announced today that it will eliminate 205 positions and close its Denver, Seattle and Tucson studios. As part of this restructuring, SOE is discontinuing production of The Agency so it can focus development resources on delivering two new MMOs based on its renowned PlanetSide and EverQuest properties, while also maintaining its current portfolio of online games. All possible steps are being taken to ensure team members affected by the transition are treated with appropriate concern.

This strategic decision will have no impact on SOE’s current portfolio of live games; additionally SOE will transition development efforts for the Denver and Tucson studios’ suite of products to its San Diego headquarters. This strategic alignment of development resources better positions SOE to remain a global leader in online gaming and deliver on its promise of creating entertaining games for players of all ages, and servicing the 20 million players that visited SOE servers in just the past year.”

We send our best wishes to those affected by the layoffs, and hope that they find new positions quickly.
end quote

seems like Planetside nxt is still alive! :) (knock on wood)

otomotopia
2011-03-31, 02:06 PM
@j_smedley Anything new to release about Planetside:Next? thought we'd be in beta by mid-march :/

@Jake_Matter nothing new to report. Lots of work going on. A lot of new team members going onto it helping out. I mean a lot.

By a lot it seems he meant about half or more of those left over from the layoffs being put on the project.

Oh my god. It's actually happening! :rofl: :lol:

Geist
2011-03-31, 02:13 PM
from PC gamer website quote:
SOE’s full official statement:
“As part of a strategic decision to reduce costs and streamline its global workforce, SOE announced today that it will eliminate 205 positions and close its Denver, Seattle and Tucson studios. As part of this restructuring, SOE is discontinuing production of The Agency so it can focus development resources on delivering two new MMOs based on its renowned PlanetSide and EverQuest properties, while also maintaining its current portfolio of online games. All possible steps are being taken to ensure team members affected by the transition are treated with appropriate concern.

This strategic decision will have no impact on SOE’s current portfolio of live games; additionally SOE will transition development efforts for the Denver and Tucson studios’ suite of products to its San Diego headquarters. This strategic alignment of development resources better positions SOE to remain a global leader in online gaming and deliver on its promise of creating entertaining games for players of all ages, and servicing the 20 million players that visited SOE servers in just the past year.”

We send our best wishes to those affected by the layoffs, and hope that they find new positions quickly.
end quote

seems like Planetside nxt is still alive! :) (knock on wood)

Wow, they even said "Planetside". Usually it's just "A certain FPS" or " ;) "

Sentrosi
2011-03-31, 02:23 PM
I'm sure that Smed didn't realize this was going to happen at the beginning of the month. So the news releases dried up because of the uncertainty of what was happening. Hopefully we get another flurry of announcements in the coming week or so. And if I have to buy up some Sony stock to get this game going, I'll do just that.

Raymac
2011-03-31, 02:41 PM
I'm sure that Smed didn't realize this was going to happen at the beginning of the month. So the news releases dried up because of the uncertainty of what was happening. Hopefully we get another flurry of announcements in the coming week or so. And if I have to buy up some Sony stock to get this game going, I'll do just that.

I beg to differ. As CEO if anyone knew they were making big layoffs and closing offices, it would be him.

All this is making perfect sense though. They are closing some resources, but diverting others to PS:N. If word got out that a bunch of people currently working on other projects would be shifted over to San Diego and Planetside, then those other people left behind might deduce that their pink slip was on the way.

Keeping things hush hush over the last month totally falls in line with what we are seeing today. As sad as it is to see anyone lose their job, knowing that SOE will be so focused on developing Planetside and not splitting those limited resources across a number of upcoming games most likely means very very good things for us fans.

DviddLeff
2011-03-31, 03:03 PM
As sad as it is to see people made redundant, we now have more people and more money available to PS2...

kamikava
2011-03-31, 03:23 PM
So by big release he meant "release" of people from jobs? :eek:

Pella
2011-03-31, 03:43 PM
@j_smedley I'm very happy to hear #PSN is getting all these new staff members, despite layoffs. You said an announcement in march though...

@otomotopia we aren't quite ready yet.

So not yet ready to announce anything.

Few days, weeks yet.

Lonehunter
2011-03-31, 03:50 PM
I can't wait to have a bunch of people who where forced to abandon projects in other studios/projects to work on a sequel to SOE's seemingly least important MMO in the past. I hope they monitor sabotage...

DviddLeff
2011-03-31, 03:51 PM
Again he said "quite"... days or weeks as you say perhaps.

Raymac
2011-03-31, 04:00 PM
It's funny. We are in some weird limbo where it kind of feels like Christmas Eve only we have no idea what day Christmas is.

Miir
2011-03-31, 04:36 PM
I wish they'd just release a couple more screen's. Even if the game isn't completely ready it can't hurt to show some more models or concept artwork.

DviddLeff
2011-03-31, 05:28 PM
Lol Raymac, that's exactly how I feel. The amount of times I've checked these forums or twitter today is rediculous.

morf
2011-03-31, 06:09 PM
Wrong.

No actually you're wrong. Outdated info is outdated. Your quote is from December 14th. On January 17th he said.

"And we haven't announced a release date for it but you can expect it... We're looking at late first-quarter, early second-quarter [2011]."

So Mr. Outdated info, when you get done buying that Enron stock why don't you pick me up in your Delorean and we can have lunch at Windows on The World and discuss wtf is happening with the USSR.

Of course, all of this is outdated after today's announcements. Game will be out when it's ready.

Gaff
2011-03-31, 07:03 PM
I suspect that Sony began to believe that The Agency and PSN would cannibalize each other, given that they were both slated to release around the same time and were both MMOFPS titles.

In the end it probably came down to having to choose one or the other, and they decided to go with PlanetSide Next over the The Agency.

It sucks, because I think The Agency had some unique ideas and some promising concepts, but the end I think this was strictly a business decision that will probably be welcomed here but less so in other places.

otomotopia
2011-03-31, 08:08 PM
No actually you're wrong. Outdated info is outdated. Your quote is from December 14th. On January 17th he said.

So Mr. Outdated info, when you get done buying that Enron stock why don't you pick me up in your Delorean and we can have lunch at Windows on The World and discuss wtf is happening with the USSR.

Of course, all of this is outdated after today's announcements. Game will be out when it's ready.

Well shit, you don't have to be an ass about it...

LordReaver
2011-03-31, 11:37 PM
This is why stressing about rumors is stupid. It turned out to seem like one of the best things to happen to PSN.

I think one of the main reasons everything is so hush hush about PSN, is that PS is the only MMOFPS, they don't want to have other companies turn heads and think, "Hey, let's do that too!" PlanetSide really does have the potential to be the next big thing in the gaming world after all.

To clarify the whole March thing. I think it may have just been poor wording.
Originally Posted by Smed
Could actually mean...
Originally Posted by Smed
"We will be releasing info on a very big launch in March," Smedley said. "It's a big first person shooter franchise that we're really happy with."
Which is susceptible to delays.