PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 3 VS Planetside N: PR

Shaddaddy
2011-04-11, 07:13 PM
I just want to make some quick points here. Battlefield 3 and Planetside Next. They are both due out around Q4 2011 SUPPOSEDLY. Look at the public relations and marketing... Battlefield 3 is ALLLLLL over the place and its not due out for many many months still... I mean everywhere I go I am seeing battlefield 3. Do I see Planetside Next ANYWHERE? No, I sure dont. Not a single add, not a website, not videos (like BF3), not screenshots, not a DAMN thing.

I am about as much of a PS fanboy as you can get. I would shit on battlefield if it meant a chance to play planetside next. But what do WE have... NOTHING.

In my opinon PR and Marketing = FAIL for PSN. My prediction is we wont see hardly ANYTHING for marketing on this game, no adds, no commercials, no NOTHING.

It breaks my heart to say this but its the truth. I hope Smed comes through some way, but my hope is shattering more and more every weekday that we dont see something. I want this game to make it so much bigger then the next and yet I see it going nowhere but UNDER its original (such as Jumpgate Evolution)...

It makes me a rather sad panda.

duck
2011-04-11, 07:28 PM
Exactly. EA marketing is genius. For example, recently they are doing a facebook thing where if they get a 1,000,000 likes on their BF3 page, then they will release a 12-minutes new trailer.
1,000,000 likes = free marketing

The way SOE is doing right now is pretty pathetic. No website, no trailer, just a few screenshots and that's it. It seems that the game is not going to be released at all in 2011.
Another possibility is that they are doing a APB-style launch. Close all doors to the studio in alpha stage, then in early beta stage start the promotion (new website, blog videos, trailer, etc), in middle/late beta the press embargo released and everything about the game is known at this point.
That is the only way I see Planetside launching

Barbapapa123
2011-04-11, 09:19 PM
the only way PS:n will have any sort of marketing campaign is if SCEA takes the reins.
Look at DCUO it had awesome trailers, they even played an ad during the superbowl.

SKYeXile
2011-04-11, 09:35 PM
Steam marketing may help, but yea, EA really shits on SOE marketing, and seriously, i think EA has a better rep than SOE, bonus for SOE though...most people that play FPS games would not be familiar with them, BECAUSE THEY NEVERED MARKETED PLANETSIDE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!1!!!1 ...GW;JGRHPA;EJHDFGDSFDFSHKDTK.*CONTINUES FACE MASHING*

Hamma
2011-04-11, 09:46 PM
I think we have beaten this to death at this point.

But honestly, EA's marketing machine would make SOE's look like a lemonade stand.

It sucks we aren't hearing anything I agree but there isn't a whole lot we can do about it.

GaiaLegion
2011-04-12, 01:44 AM
I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that PS:N is not officially announced yet.

DviddLeff
2011-04-12, 02:20 AM
The Walking Dead TV show just started being shown on mainstream UK TV this week.

The show is sponsored by RAGE... which isn't even out until SEPTEMBER yet they have paid for adverts at the start and end of every advert break!

I really hope that PS2 has the same advertising DCU had at least.

But then we can always go guerilla marketing again if needs be :p

Oty
2011-04-12, 02:58 AM
There is one thing we could do... start the marketing for them?!

TigerClaw
2011-04-12, 04:18 AM

we dont even know if its going to be called planetside:Next

i think its going to be planetside:warfare.

but we cant even advertise for them as we have no solid information to put in an advert

SKYeXile
2011-04-12, 04:44 AM

Planetside: Next, MMOFPS..Developed by SOE.

thats all we know...thats a good start to get people interested yea?

DviddLeff
2011-04-12, 05:29 AM
Until we get some solid info there's not much we can do, unless we use PS footage to give people an idea of what to expect.

Heaven
2011-04-12, 07:30 AM
Maybe there afraid of getting knocked down and beaten by other competitors like your example of BF, we are talking about SOE here plus i think DCUO got better marketing as it would take more of an intrest to people as its on consoles as well plus kids love comic heros too, yeah there a great company and make some good games but what is stopping them from releasing more information and maybe a little trailer of things to come or even release some textures of weapons and feilds or bases in the game i mean that would be cool, I can remember waiting for a game called Warhammer online to come out for ages and they were always releasing new stuff and pod casts plus info about the game and how its progressing also showing how the game was being created in some videos on youtube, the question is why arnt they hardly showing us any new stuff?... Is it beacuse its way too awsome and they know were going to love it, or is it because there worried that people arnt going to like it and knock it because of the mistakes they made in the first planetside... Personally I think SOE did a great job on the first planetside bar the lag in really big fights and not to mention the BFR's. Planetside is my favourite game of all time next to GTA series and Zelda.

Logit
2011-04-12, 07:42 AM

We shouldn't have to.

Ant001
2011-04-12, 08:03 AM
I have seen an artical from a chineese newspaper that says the game won't be released till 2012. Possibly a beta this year. Now I know for a fact that quite a few people who post here a lot have also seen it.

So that leaves plenty time for SOE to advertise.

Geist
2011-04-12, 08:48 AM
Just putting this out there.

YouTube - Warhammer 40k MMO Trailer.MP4

This game will not come out until late 2012-early 2013, and yet they have a trailer of gameplay, as well as another trailer introducing one of the factions.

Planetside has released just a few screenshots and some vague info from the CEO(which is awesome!!!), so I can't see it being released at all this year, nor early next year. I'm expecting late 2012 at the earliest.

Like they say, if your always expecting the worst, you will be pleasantly surprised if it turns out differently.

BlazingSun
2011-04-12, 09:49 AM
From my point of view it sometimes seems, as if SOE was new in business. As mentioned here before, the marketing for games usally starts at least a year before it's launched. For MMOs it's usally even a longer period. You simply need some time to spread the word and get enough attention to create some hype and anticipation. I don't know what SOE is doing, but a 'surprise release' or something does not work.

I have said that before, but I have to say it again, because first of all I think it is a clever move and second, I'd enjoy seeing it: SOE should show some short podcasts every month, that show the game development process and explain game mechanics etc. A bit of an 'overshoulder look', some short guides through the studio ... some likeable dev explaining some game mechanics, talking about the background of the 3 factions, talking about vehicles, weapons, showing concept art and short videos ... the possibilities are endless and people will suck up every bit of information and the message gets spread.

Heaven
2011-04-12, 10:20 AM
Pretty well said and I agree, they did the same thing with warhammer online although that game still struggles with population but i think that is because alot of people will see WoW and be more attracted to that as in my opinion has more to offer than WAR, but the WAR team deffinatly went in the right direction to market the game and had a pretty big hype surrounding it.

Logit
2011-04-12, 11:23 AM
From my point of view it sometimes seems, as if SOE was new in business. As mentioned here before, the marketing for games usally starts at least a year before it's launched. For MMOs it's usally even a longer period. You simply need some time to spread the word and get enough attention to create some hype and anticipation. I don't know what SOE is doing, but a 'surprise release' or something does not work.

I have said that before, but I have to say it again, because first of all I think it is a clever move and second, I'd enjoy seeing it: SOE should show some short podcasts every month, that show the game development process and explain game mechanics etc. A bit of an 'overshoulder look', some short guides through the studio ... some likeable dev explaining some game mechanics, talking about the background of the 3 factions, talking about vehicles, weapons, showing concept art and short videos ... the possibilities are endless and people will suck up every bit of information and the message gets spread.

SoE Should so something, ANYTHING. 4 renders? Come on, if the game is even 25% done they should have something to give the community. But they couldn't even manage a forum post from the producer.

Raymac
2011-04-12, 11:57 AM
If the artwork is not done, then there is nothing to show. The more artwork that gets completed, the more we will see. It's exactly like a movie not showing scenes in early trailers where special effects arn't finished yet.

Also, the Battlefield IP is alot more popular and better known than the Planetside IP, so it's not fair to compare their marketing. Having said that, I'm looking forward to when Planetside will finally start their marketing push.

Logit
2011-04-12, 02:17 PM
If the artwork is not done, then there is nothing to show. The more artwork that gets completed, the more we will see. It's exactly like a movie not showing scenes in early trailers where special effects arn't finished yet.

Also, the Battlefield IP is alot more popular and better known than the Planetside IP, so it's not fair to compare their marketing. Having said that, I'm looking forward to when Planetside will finally start their marketing push.

I think it's pretty safe to say if SoE gave us anything, anything at all. The community would take it and run with it. I find it very hard to believe that it this very moment there is nothing they can show us.

And if there really is nothing they can show/tell us. It seems were going to be waiting for this game a lot longer than anticipated.

Mightymouser
2011-04-12, 02:33 PM
Look at the 'ad campaign' for PlanetSide pre-release... Or rather the lack thereof.

The lack of marketing doesn't correlate to the completeness of the game in this case; but rather to the crappiness of SOE's marketing department.

Aractain
2011-04-12, 02:55 PM
ArenaNet has been doing blogs that are about background info and systems design. My favourite is this one here (http://www.arena.net/blog/pax-east-preview-izzy-on-attributes-and-iteration). Im cosntantly thinking about why games suck at stats and finally someone comes along as does a good job! APB Reloaded is doing this as well.

Why isn't there something like this? Is PSN on a really small budget? Do they have any systems design? (that was a little joke)

Mightymouser
2011-04-12, 07:07 PM
My favourite is this one here (http://www.arena.net/blog/pax-east-preview-izzy-on-attributes-and-iteration).

Is it just me or is that a dead link?

Edit: Oh it works, it just takes 15 minutes to load?

Sifer2
2011-04-12, 07:17 PM

Exactly. Even the screenshots we have are not real ingame screenshots but mock ups using unfinished models. The Chinese company even said the graphics are not done. So were not going to get lots of screenshots an trailers until the game actually looks presentable.

I really saw this coming an was confused why they said it was launching in March when clearly that wasn't going to happen when not one trailer had been released. I thought maybe it meant there would be a trailer in March but even that was hoping for too much. I think the game is earlier in development than we would like to believe. If we don't see a PR push by E3 then i'm guessing this game wont come out until 2012 at earliest.

Aractain
2011-04-12, 08:02 PM
Is it just me or is that a dead link?

Edit: Oh it works, it just takes 15 minutes to load?

No issues for me and friends. Prolly just some ghosts in the network.

Edfishy
2011-04-13, 10:21 AM
I'd expect mid-late 2012, marketing to begin sometime late this year.