PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Personal Transport

Geist
2011-04-13, 12:47 PM
Unpackable Motorcycle.

I've always wondered what SOE meant when they said battles in PS were not as fast as they wanted. Well, what if there was a compact motorcycle that you could get from a Equipment or AMS terminal, that allowed you to traverse the battlefield quickly and efficiently.

Since it would be free, it would have less armor then an ATV, no weapons, maybe slower, and it would take up a sizeable chunk of your inventory(think Empire-AV ammo sized). It would also take some time to unpack after you put it down or pack it back up.

How about it? Should we have a free transport that allows for Rexo and Agile to get to a battlefield quickly(or at least quicker).

Raymac
2011-04-13, 01:38 PM
Mopeds? I don't know dude. Mopeds are like fat chicks. Might be fun to ride, but you don't want anyone to see you on it.

I see the need you are trying to accomidate, but perhaps a "I need a ride" voice macro might be better.

CutterJohn
2011-04-13, 03:02 PM
I'd like passenger slots on more vehicles, with no guns. Sucks being out driving and unable to give a friendly thats hoofing it a lift. Interior spots when it makes sense to do so(ANTs, AMSs, Lodes, etc), standing on a running board and holding a handhold style when it doesn't.

I'd also give all players access to Basilisks and Harassers, in addition to Ants, and perhaps giving SLs the ability to drop one of these every ten minutes or so.

TRex
2011-04-13, 04:26 PM
I'd like passenger slots on more vehicles, with no guns. Sucks being out driving and unable to give a friendly thats hoofing it a lift. Interior spots when it makes sense to do so(ANTs, AMSs, Lodes, etc), standing on a running board and holding a handhold style when it doesn't.

I'd also give all players access to Basilisks and Harassers, in addition to Ants, and perhaps giving SLs the ability to drop one of these every ten minutes or so.

I always wished that people could just jump onto and catch a ride on a vanguard or magrider, just like you see real troops getting a lift on a tank.

FortunadoAE
2011-04-13, 07:32 PM
Very creative idea, but I don't think it would work. I think putting more thought into the game's infrastructure is a better bet for handling people getting stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Teek
2011-04-13, 08:59 PM
I think there could be a few changes to the game:

1. Pick-up beacon: a reusable item that a soldier can carry (maybe has automatically?) that allows him to toggle a beacon that can be seen by all transport drivers, or maybe all drivers within a certain distance. If a driver picks up a soldier with a beacon, then he gets additional experience.

2. Better ground transports. I never really cared for a lot of them, the deliverer and variants just seemed a bit silly, as did the sunderer. Also, not sure how I feel about transports that have that many weapons. Try to make a few more large APCs, maybe one that is unarmed but has additional supply capabilities and large capacity (additional maxes or just more soldiers) and an armed variant that sacrifices some room for one large turret, like many modern apc's. Finally, go for something like a delivierer, but with only one turret, serving as a light transport/recon.

3. Emergency vehicle dropoff. Passing heavy transport (like a Hart or something, computer controlled) drops an unarmed atv via parachute/drop pod. Requires a piece of gear, and can only be used once every 30 minutes.

Furret
2011-04-13, 10:05 PM
Good idea. I don't know about the moped/motorcycle though. I think that would be a bit too good. I like the ideas about the pickup beacon, because it would increase player-player teamwork, even if you don't know the guy you're picking up.

I dpnt think any of the ideas that involve the player being able to save himself should be added. These types of solutions lead to more people playing One Man Army styles, which is obviously not in an empire's best interest.

I also like the ideas about holding on to the side of a tank/deliverer. This could easily be implemented on the heavier vehicles. One on each side, creating two passenger slots that can add in personal waypoints that the driver can see.

Gogita
2011-04-14, 08:33 AM
Dude, ATV is only 1 cert point right now... it's already cheap enough to have fast transport.

And now for the case of PS:N: By giving everyone free transport, people will have less incentive to use larger scale ground transport (which a find a pity). I think PS:N should focus a lot on making sure that teamwork is encouraged, and not solo play.

Not that there should be no single person vehicles anymore, but they should at least cost your cert points to use.

DviddLeff
2011-04-14, 08:47 AM
There needs to be an incentive to use dedicated transport vehicles.

TBH I would like to see ATV drivers take damage as if they were not even in a vehicle.

Mightymouser
2011-04-14, 04:43 PM
There needs to be an incentive to use dedicated transport vehicles.

TBH I would like to see ATV drivers take damage as if they were not even in a vehicle.

I'd agree with this post entirely, provided there was a way to prevent spitfires (especially cloaked spitfires) from shooting at wraiths...

Sentrosi
2011-04-15, 10:59 AM
I would love some personal transportation, as long as it was this:
http://youtu.be/00QhWEsg8fs
That would get me so hotT.

Firefly
2011-04-15, 11:00 AM
Dude, ATV is only 1 cert point right now... it's already cheap enough to have fast transport.
This. There's nothing else really to say. It's one cert point.

Raymac
2011-04-15, 05:35 PM
I know I kind of poo-poo'd the idea at first, but the more I think about it, the more I think something along these lines can make the game better.

If I understand it right, it seems the OP was thinking about a vehicle-ish thing you could get at an equipment terminal, so you didn't necessarily need a vehicle terminal for it. I was thinking of times, like spawning at the North Bel Tower on Forseral where I wished I didn't need such a long run to where the fight is.

So, what if, instead of a bike, it was more like a jetpack you could have. You'd be limited on your altitude, but it could speed you fairly quickly a short distance. Perhaps you could have the "fuel" regenerate, or perhaps it could be a 1 time use. Either way, I actually kind of like the idea because there are times where the fight is fairly far to run to, but too close to bother hitching a ride to.

FiftySeventh
2011-04-15, 06:08 PM
I'd rather see soldiers clinging to vanguards and lightnings than bopping along on a moped

There's more of an empire feel if you transport some one else on a vanguard than a massive free for all of scooters......

snowballd green
2011-04-16, 09:41 PM
So basically.... lightcycles from TRON. I approve.

Geist
2011-04-17, 08:24 AM
I know I kind of poo-poo'd the idea at first, but the more I think about it, the more I think something along these lines can make the game better.

If I understand it right, it seems the OP was thinking about a vehicle-ish thing you could get at an equipment terminal, so you didn't necessarily need a vehicle terminal for it. I was thinking of times, like spawning at the North Bel Tower on Forseral where I wished I didn't need such a long run to where the fight is.

That's basically what I meant. And I really wanted to get across how weak this would be. Less armor than an ATV, no weapons, slower, just something to get to the battlefield, not something to use charge an enemy's lines.

Baneblade
2011-04-17, 10:41 AM
I always wished that people could just jump onto and catch a ride on a vanguard or magrider, just like you see real troops getting a lift on a tank.

You used to be able to, but SOE killed it.