PDA

View Full Version : Cant boot up my computer, says I need to activate windows...help!

Drex
2003-03-24, 12:59 PM
So I have win XP professional and I installed it about a month ago. When I boot up as windows is loading it stops and tells me that I need to activate windows before I can log in. So I click yes to activate and nothing happens, it just sits at the log-in screen. I try to log in and I get the same message telling me to activate. I even put the CD in the drive and nothing happens. Anyone know what the problem is? Using someone elses computer to try and figure out what the deal is here...

Sentrosi
2003-03-24, 01:17 PM
I would look at microsofts website's FAQ concerning XP pro. I do know that when you install windows XP you have a 30 day trial period before registering windows. It's microshaft's protection against ppl using copied OS's.

Drex
2003-03-24, 01:24 PM
heh well it is copied actually, it's my bro's CD. I dont even care if I cant use my computer any longer as I am orderring a new one shortly. I only used his CD because when I formatted my computer last month I had lost my win 98 CD and had no OS to use so I used his. The only thing I really want is to be able to access my files and save them some how. Right now I cannot access anything. Am I screwed?

Hunter83
2003-03-24, 02:49 PM
I have an idea. I got this email from a friend a few days ago and it should work for you.

If you want a really easy way to play with linux go download knoppix http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html .

It's a really slick full linux installation that runs completely off of a burned CD. It even autodetects most hardware. A really good tool for when you're having system problems too since you always have an OS that works.

You download the .iso file (for the english version) and use fireburner or something similar to burn the cd. then just pop it in and restart.

http://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.1-2003-01-20-EN.iso

it even has games and Open Office included. I was very impressed except that it couldn't get my audigy to work right.
Have your brother download this and burn it to a CD, then when your computer starts up, go into your BIOS and make sure u can boot from a CD. Then just make sure the CD is in the drive and it should boot up.

If you have any other questions feel free to post them here. The first step is downloading this and getting it on CD.

Zatrais
2003-03-24, 03:15 PM
No you're not screwd Drex, you can do what hunter 83 here said and run a dual boot linux/XP (not recomended to novices or people whit little to no experience whit it) or you can just wait til you get your new PC and transfer all the files over the to the new HD using the old HD as the slave, assuming you get a new HD whit it.

If not, then you can install your old HD into your bro's comp, transfer the files, format your HD, transfer it into the new comp and copy the files from your bro's comp over again.

Hunter83
2003-03-24, 04:48 PM
I should clarify that the Linux CD doesn't install to your HDD afaik, it runs fully off the CD.
I'll burn mine soon and find out for sure.

Drex
2003-03-24, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will try and burn that iso file to a CD when my bro gets home and get back to you on how it went. If all else fails I can just pull the HD out when I get my new computer. But then again I've never pulled a HD out of a computer and/or connected a 2nd one to a diff computer before. I'm pretty computer illiterate...

mistled
2003-03-24, 11:47 PM
Just post here again if you need instructions on putting 2 drives in your comp (it's easy). People here are good at trying to assist with whatever. :)

*edit* next time you try and load XP, do a search on kazaa for xpsp1.exe It's only like 50k, so ignore any huge ones that are there (I've no clue what those 135MB ones that come up are, perhaps the entire service pack??)

Its the workaround for getting Service Pack 1 to work on a copy of XP and should work wonders for a fresh install also. (not that I would know or anything.... but I hear rumors)