PDA

View Full Version : Im afraid...

Validuz
2002-11-25, 11:51 PM
Ive been playing these FPS's for a while now, but no game (almost Q3) has hooked me like Tribes2 has.

The game with the steep learning curve and awesome gameplay, along with the competition keeps me playing it everynight and 95% of my freetime. ( I seriously dont have a life ;p)

What Im wondering is if this is going to be something that hooks like T2 does or just a role playing/FPS version of the "other" machine gun games...

I mean, dont get me wrong, Ive been waiting for this game ever since E3 a long time ago, but Im worried it might just be a chain-em-down game. From what Ive seen (screenshots) and one super-small movie, it looks beyond unbelievably awesome.

Anyways, Id just like some input from the people creating/playing it. I know it's in the internal beta stage, so not too many out there. Im very familiar about how the weapons are and how th point system works, but Im interested on how the people will get kills. What I mean by that is there mostly going to be "whoring" of 'chaingun' weapons?

Anyways, still looking foward to see how it is...

<3
Valid

Validuz
2002-11-25, 11:53 PM
One more note:
Curious to how fast you can waste someone, I hoping it will be balanced in that aspect...

*edit* Btw, a demo of some actual playing would answer a lot of my questions... So when (IF) is the ETA on something like that?

Hamma
2002-11-26, 06:56 AM
There are some demos of people playing here:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/content.php?p=sdMediaPage#movies

There is also another movie that is gamespot subscription only :| it shows some cool stuff.

As for this game hooking you.. the community aspect and persistant world will be a big part of that. :evil:

Tobias
2002-11-26, 09:46 AM
Hey what would you get if you combined Tribes and Evercrack?

PLANETSIDE... everquest was only as addicting as crack, this is gonna be like Herion baby.

Drugs are bad, dont do them, have sex insteed.

Unregistered
2002-11-26, 10:31 AM
Here's the way I see things having been very addicted to both Tribes, and Tribes 2.....

We're all aware of the fact that Dave G was the lead Dev, on Tribes 2, and he is also the lead Dev on Planetside. The games are very similar in a lot of ways. Even the back story of Tribes, and Planetside are very close.

So Tribes 2 comes out, and the game play is a little slower then Tribes 1, and the larger maps forced team work. It was a very fun game out of the box. I enjoyed playing Base on the 16 man TWL ladder for a very long time.

Then Dave leaves for Planetside and Marewease takes over, and things start to go downhill. Enter the "Spor vs War" argument. Under Daves direction Tribes 2 was a giant galatic battle, and the game was meant to be played by large teams.

Marwease on the other hand beleaved that the game was more of a "sport" then it was war. So what you have now in Tribes 2 is vastly diffrent then what Dave origonally wanted for the game.

So to answer your question, I think Planetside is Dave's chance to finally make the game he wanted Tribes 2 to be. It's the same dream only this time it's been taken to the next level. So when asking yourself if your going to like this Planetside ask yourself: "Do I like Tribes 2 the way it is now, or the way it was March 31st 2001 when it was Dave's game?"

I for one liked Dave's T2, and I don't play Mareweas's version.

Like Dave said durring the Dev interview "It's War, not football!"

Hamma
2002-11-26, 11:23 AM
Should I start saving up for counciling now then?

Manitou
2002-11-26, 11:41 AM
Well said Unreg... I agree totally. The early days of T2 with the team play and huge slow maps were the best.

Looking forward to this!

Validuz
2002-11-26, 01:43 PM
Well unlike some of the people from the T2 community, I liked Dave G's work. Base is still my fav mod type.

Anwyays, that E3 video doesnt show much combat, it just shows vehicles with automatic weapons (which looked awesome, i might add) The part that interested me the MOST was the part at the end where you were walking around in first person mode, and I got to see some FPS action... without the action ;p

Unregistered
2002-11-26, 01:56 PM
I had the most fun playing Base too.

Monsoon
2002-11-26, 02:05 PM
lol.. Val.. its DxM-Apcalypse
and i agree totally with you in this post
good to see us t2ers making the transition
but if everquest is crack.. t2 is methadone.. hope planetside is straight H

ChrisMOG
2002-11-26, 02:15 PM
Yeah this classic mod is all lame. Being a good capper in classic is like being able to ride a sled down a hill (no talent required). Sure it makes defense work harder, which is good, but some of the "routes" are just too hard to stop. Anyways I hope PS is good.

jamikey
2002-11-26, 02:17 PM
uhhhh good post guys.

Jimmah
2002-11-26, 03:03 PM
From what I've seen on the gamespot videos is that damage is a bit less than TFC. I'm only going off appearances.. but it seems quite acceptable.

An example is when they storm this base, and 2 guys are defending. The person who's recording it runs inbetween two of these guys, and begins shooting at them, and suddenly... boom. he's down on the floor. I like that because it shows you can't just stroll in to a well defended place and do some damage.

And I saw a 75mb movie that showed some vehicles off in action, and from what I gathered, if you're caught outside in the open by an APC (it's a Lightning (http://planetside.station.sony.com/screenshots/lightning.jpg) i think), then you stand no chance if you haven't got the weapons.. which I like aswell. :D

Hamma
2002-11-26, 04:11 PM
That 75MB one is the gamespot subscription vid I believe.

Unregistered
2002-11-26, 04:30 PM
I don't think I've seen the 75meg one :(

Monsoon
2002-11-26, 05:22 PM
link it on a private site.
PLEASE!!?!?

Validuz
2002-11-26, 05:31 PM
Hella weak, can someone host that puppy???

Unregistered
2002-11-26, 05:45 PM
Yeah!! We need it hosted!!!

Hamma
2002-11-26, 06:10 PM
Its subscription only, I cant host it on PSU servers. Otherwise it would already be there

Validuz
2002-11-27, 01:42 AM
Damnit... I think I can on my recongamer server webspace ;p

Send it to me

Kaikou
2002-11-27, 01:50 AM
I agree...I think PS is gonna be a hybrid of AC2 and T2...like...a futuristic version of AC2 without monsters...

Something I'm concerned about IS the no monsters part. No I'm not saying PS should have monsters roaming the land...well...1 or 2... :p but the world is going to be EMPTY without some form of interactive AI out there...No matter how many people are on the server, it will never have a whole lot of people EVERYWHERE...Heck it might take awhile cruising around in a galaxy trying to find some form of battle to take part in...

Course I could be wrong....But back to my original reason for posting this...PS is looking a lot like AC2 with machine guns and vehicles rather than bows, swords, and magic...

If thats the case...AC2 all the way for me! :x

Warborn
2002-11-27, 02:15 AM
A Neutral faction would be good to add. A group of people who are essentially just Hi-Tech Bandits and fight all 3 Factions. It'd be nice if they'd spawn at random times and roam the world in a group, attacking any players they encountered, and turning any undefended installations they came across Neutral. Or something like that. Argh. It'd be nice to do mindless fragging when you can't find any intelligent foes to fight :)

Validuz
2002-11-27, 09:48 AM
Ohhh come on now, Im sure someone can host that movie ;|

Jimmah
2002-11-27, 10:37 AM
I might be able to... but seeing as though it's an actual gamespot video, I'm not sure if I can.

Hamma
2002-11-27, 11:19 AM
Kai, if your flying around looking for a battle your not using your threat indicators correctly ;) There are going to be ways to show where the battle is being fought.

Unregistered
2002-11-27, 11:25 AM
Kai is gonna be flying site seeing tours.

"If you look to your left you'll see the Desert of Death, and coming up on the right of the aircraft you'll see a column of Vanu tanks getting torn up buy some Republic troops"

Zarparchior
2002-11-27, 12:29 PM
"Don't worry folks. Those Vanu scum don't feel pain, so feel free to gawk openly."

�io
2002-11-27, 03:37 PM
"And up ahead you'll see a fleet of Vanu galaxies coming this wa....oh shit"

BOOM!

:p

Validuz
2002-11-27, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Jimmah
I might be able to... but seeing as though it's an actual gamespot video, I'm not sure if I can.

Another words: You cant afford to pay out additional moey to some website to watch a preview of a game.

...weak

Tobias
2002-11-28, 10:53 AM
*and a voice comes over the intercom*

...our decoy tanks will now destruct in a massive sub-nucular blast, killing the terrans and knocking you out of the air with the shockwave. Prepare for assumlation.

Validuz
2002-11-28, 10:44 PM
Im pretty sure I know their ToS, and i dont think it's illegal to host the movie on a personal connection or site. Can anyone send/host it?