PDA

View Full Version : Comp. Problems

Fire_Monkey
2003-04-07, 08:48 PM
Ok, went to Fry's the other day. Picked up 512 stick of RAM, newest albatron mobo, a radeon 9700, and a monitor(alrdy have a AMD Athlon runs at 1.5 ghz). I get home start setting everything up, after I finnish, the fan keeps starting and stopping. I look on the radeon box, and it requires a biger pwr supply. So I went today, got a 300 watt supply, hooked it up and the comp started saying my CPU might have a problem, and then it starts smoking.

Now I ran some tests, I'm pretty sure the mobo is gone, but not sure about the supply. Anyone have this kind of experience? Some help please.

Future
2003-04-07, 11:23 PM
that sounds really odd, the only thing I can think of is that on the power supply you had it set to european spec (the red switch on back of the power supply) thats the only way that I know of that would toast comp parts, a power supply is set up not to fry stuff. If that switch got switched somehow though Im sure that's the problem. Because in europe they have different power ratings. Other than that... dunno but that sucks man, hope you figure it out.

Sentrosi
2003-04-08, 12:29 PM
Future, that is not true.

Any power supply here in the US will only use 110V because that's all that's coming out of the wall. The switch on the back is more for any european who buys a P/S. If they have the switch set on 110 over there, nothing will work. They have 230 coming out of their walls.

I would double check the leads on that power supply. Is there any scorch marks on the connector? If there is, then it may be a defective power supply.

OneManArmy
2003-04-08, 01:38 PM
you put this computer together yourself right? Maybe the heatsink/fan wasn't attached correctly to the CPU. maybe some wires were touching something. I don't really know other than a defective Power Supply (which happens quite often with cheap ones)

Fire_Monkey
2003-04-10, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys but.. I took the whole box to fry's. He hooked it up and the mobo exploded in front of him. It also ended up frying the cpu. He gave me another mobo, but I had to buy my own cpu.