PlanetSide Next Galaxy - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: To All You Virgins: Thanks For Nothing.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-01-27, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #121
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Re: PlanetSide Next Galaxy

I imagine the ceiling height will be bigger seeing as they (appear) to want to make this Planetside even bigger than the last

Hey exponential law of hardware increase, the computers now are capable of far more than they were back in 2001 when Pside was being developed. A lot of tech such as internet connections and bandwidth have really risen which should allow for even bigger battles ; also since it looks like the galaxy appears to be some kind of jet/plane rather than a helicopter style aircraft I expect the flight ceiling will be a lot higher.

Maybe we will even get a moderately good flight model, one can dream.
Old 2011-01-27, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #122
Raymac
Brigadier General

I thought the ceiling was high enough. For the most part, when you were at max height, you chould just barely see the ground. That seems just right to me.

I spent alot of my PS time in a reaver, so I would get annoyed with the ceiling when I was taking our Libs and Gals, but raising it wouldn't change that. Those same pilots would just fly that much higher to hit the ceiling. Plus, planes should always be within range of AA. There really should be a substantial risk for flying behind enemy lines.

Also, I was a big fan of the helicopter style flight of the aircraft. If they change it, I'll adapt, but I really hope they don't. If anything, I'd like to see them change the low end acceleration of aircraft to discourage being a hover turret. With afterburners, you could hit max speed in a couple seconds and get out of any situation. If you had a slow acceleration at low speed, but higher acceleration at high speed, it would encourage aircraft to keep their speed up, and hover less.
Old 2011-01-27, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #123
Tikuto
Major

About the ceiling height. I just had a thought!
  • YES! It could be incredibly high! with
  • PLUS! an additional "lofting" ceiling!

Why two ceilings?
Imagine PS:1 and its sky ceiling. Add another layer of ceiling beyond that. This "loft" area is only access by eligible aircraft and protects from all ground targets. Essentially a 'reduced ground interference' zone allowing for increased safety from the ground. However, it is not a 'no combat zone' either. Other air vehicles can fight in this second ceiling. Special conditions against bombers would be applied also, I suppose.
How would mountains work against this "second ceiling"? Well, I suppose that's an interesting game obsticle.

Imagine sky-diving from Galaxy during a super-high sci-fi sky fight, rumbling through the first ceiling opening up to the ground, through the clouds to see blazing battles........ omfg awesome.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-01-27 at 02:33 PM.
Old 2011-01-27, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #124
Raymac
Brigadier General

Being primarily a reaver pilot, I love the idea of encouraging air-to-air combat. Some of my favorite moments were giant air-to-air batttles. I just forsee alot of problems with aircraft being able to fly above the range of AA. It's already bad enough when a Lib could just park above a base and rain bombs unchallenged. The idea of aircraft being like the SR-71 and just cruise around without having to worry about attacks from the ground just bothers me.
Old 2011-01-27, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #125
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Like I said technology has improved, ARMA 2 has battles similar in scale to Planetside and you can see 10km, Just boost view distance (which should be a lot further than the 300m odd it used to be any way) and there you go. With increased view distance comes increased engagement ranges so just boost the velocity of all the projectiles (they were a tad to slow anyway)

= Instant higher flight ceiling
Old 2011-01-27, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
Raymac
Brigadier General

2cool, that would be a great solution to raising the ceiling. Also, when I think about it, I really wish the ceiling was already higher on places like Searhus. It could get a little tricky flying around the rim of that crater.
Old 2011-01-27, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #127
Dorest0rm
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

A second ceiling where supersonic travel is possible would be awesome to.

If you enter that part, you can fly double speed.
And transport ships at 2,5x.

Getting in/out should have some restrictions tho, so it wouldn't be possible to use the second ceiling as a warpgate, just running away from enemys
Old 2011-01-27, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #128
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

If they forced you to transition from low-alt engines to high-alt engines when you hit that flight ceiling, then it would stop people from using it as a warpgate.

If they need a reason to explain it, say the high-alt engines use less oxygen to operate or something. That way, It wouldn't be such a choppy transition, where you're flying 100 km/h and then you go up a meter and you're suddenly going 200. Once you get about 10m above the minimum oxygen level for your high-alt engines, you swap out engines, and then you're able to travel at that higher velocity. Perhaps give 100m in between where both types of engines function optimally, which would make for a very interesting combat zone, fighters flying slowly but being more maneuverable, but much more speedy fighters that cant quite turn as fast.

Slightly off topic: If they make flying first person (would make me happy) They need to have an altimeter, and there's no warning (maybe a beep) when you're approaching your engine's flight ceiling. If you go too high (or too low if you're using high-alts), your engines choke and you lose all maneuverability and about 200 meters of altitude before your engines reset themselves.

Or in order to save your engines, you have to have an extra cert point in some specific place, and it forces you to play a quick minigame to save your engines before you SPLAT all over the ground =D

Last edited by Furret; 2011-01-27 at 05:38 PM.
Old 2011-01-28, 04:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #129
Tikuto
Major

High Velocity and Low Velocity aerial zones. 2 ceilings. Sounds awesome.
  • High Velocity requiring greater control and is almost denying all interference from the ground. Super-sonic aerial battles. No stationary floating.
  • Low Velocity requiring lesser controls and usually indicates to ground players on the that an aerial attack is imminent.

Why would aerial vehicles be fighting in the sky?
  • To stop Galaxy ships (whatever new "pivotal role" they have), which results in affecting that Empire.
  • Detering or destroying bombers. The skies are as much insecure as the security of a PS:1 facility from its walls, both need attending.
  • Scouting. Reconnaisance. e.g Locating that undetected all-powerful anti-everything BFR for all your Empire to see permenently (providing an orbital scanner is not operational).
Being high speeds or super-sonic speeds, how can each Empire counter and react to that speed?
Detection ranges of other aerial vessels and anti-air ground vessels are influenced by any nearby facility. You may visually (radar for some. HUD for others.) see the target approaching at Low Velocity speeds (using incrimental speeds from gravity) from 1.5K METERS away. This also deters the use of aerial vehicles at Low Velocity.

special request:
If the Advanced Nanite Transport was an aerial vehicle, it would not be eligible to enter High Velocity ceiling. Another reason to bring other eligible aircraft down from High Velocity to the less secure Low Velocity to either stop the ANT from stealing their Nanites or prevent the ANT from delivering.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-01-28 at 05:13 AM.
Old 2011-01-28, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #130
Chaotic Cow
Private

Didn't think I would start a big discussion on flight ceiling. lol
Old 2011-01-28, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

A lot of players said that the only really true measure of skill was aerial duels (before the Wasp). In ground dueling, empire-faction weaponry always tended to throw a measure of doubt in the mix... ie, did he beat me because he had a Lasher/Jackhammer/MCG? But in a Reaver or a Mosquito, you were pretty much equally balanced in-game (connection and PC specs notwithstanding).

I always found that, as far as AA goes, it could barely hit me when I was at near-ground level. Being that high in the sky, you're exposed to AA for a lot longer. I don't care how high the ceiling is, I just want flight mechanics to support actual aerial combat. You know... loops and barrel rolls?

Additionally, just because the Galaxy has wheels doesn't mean it's going to be a runway aircraft. It could be new artwork, plain and simple. I'd rather have VTOL capabilities, in all honesty.
Old 2011-01-28, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
Gogita
Master Sergeant

I do not want the new Galaxy needing a runway to take off and land. This will remove the possibility of a Galaxy landing in the courtyard and picking up people, which was nice
Old 2011-01-28, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
Hamma
PSU Admin

Aye, honestly I'm sure it will remain VTOL in some way. I just can't see them making it to cumbersome to operate especially since Smed said it will play a larger role in PS:N

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-01-28, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #134
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Really high ceiling... imagine laser painting a spot on the battlefield which only bombers are linked too for bombing runs! That'd be hellacool.

That's something we need, laser painting for such things as tanks or BFRs, but Laser painting will paint the area, not the actual target. OHHHHHHHHHHH nice.
Old 2011-01-28, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Gogita View Post
I do not want the new Galaxy needing a runway to take off and land. This will remove the possibility of a Galaxy landing in the courtyard and picking up people, which was nice
Succinctly put. Yes. This is exactly my sentiment.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion