Possible MCG render - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WTF?!?! You rejected my funny Quotes!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-11-06, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Marth Koopa
Banned

Re: Possible MCG render

It looks like a penis
Old 2011-11-06, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
MgFalcon
Captain

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I thought that was the Heavy's minigun from TF2 for a sec till I saw the TR emblem. Doesn't fit the current PS2 art style at all imo.
I thought this exact same thing, the MCG up in the link just seems cartoonish, while everything that we've seen from the Devs so far has been very rugged and rustic... a sense of being worn in and tough
Old 2011-11-06, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I like this design much better than the current planetside mcg...

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-11-06, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I imagine it will look like some kind of cross between the pictures in OP's post, the PS1 MCG and the general style of the other TR guns we've seen for PS2. Of course, how those three elements will blend together precisely is hard to say, so I guess we still don't really know exactly what it will look like.
Old 2011-11-06, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I sure hope that's not what it looks like.
Careful what you wish for Bags, you might end up receiving it
Old 2011-11-06, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Furber
First Sergeant

Personally, I think it looks a little ugly :/

I think it's a little too round looking, makes it look fat. Ofc this is probably not the finished product, so hopefully they'll give it the -bamf- treatment and it will end up awesome like most of the other stuff we've seen so far.
Old 2011-11-06, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
duomaxwl
Captain

Could that have been the redesign for when they were doing the graphical overhaul for Planetside 1? Before they decided to make Planetside 2 a whole new game? Just a thought.
Old 2011-11-06, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Marth Koopa
Banned

Also, it is NOT the MCG

https://twitter.com/#!/PS_TRay/statu...87931057524736
Old 2011-11-06, 10:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Haro
Master Sergeant

I can't be sure, but I do say I think this looks like it could be rather close to the final product. A lot of work has been done to it, and it would be a pretty big waste of resources to only see this model not get used, since it is so hi-res.

Still, it seems to definitely confirm the presence of the MCG (they wouldn't go to full render just to pull something out, most likely) and by comparing this to the style of the cycler that we've seen in high-resolution screen captures, the design seems rather similar. An emphasis on contrasting white metal and darker carbon fiber/gunmetal parts with red highlights, a similarity in the brown hand grips that can be seen on both the cycler and this mcg, and an emphasis on sleek and graceful curves seem to put this in a very similar design process as other TR weapons. If this isn't the final product, I'd say it's probably pretty close.

I do have a few beefs with it. Most of all is that it looks damn uncomfortable to hold. In terms of balance, I can only guess that the top handlebar is in a good point to balance the barrel and the body of the gun (it looks back heavy, so it makes sense.) But looking at how the trigger and grip are placed in the back it seems to emphasize that the person holding this weapon will need to carry most of the weight with the center handle, because it doesn't have a great grip on the back. It's more or less perpendicular to the barrel, though a little raised, so I don't think you could support a lot of weight with this.

Also, I'd shorten the barrel a bit, and maybe extend the body, because it looks just a bit too long.

Then again, we may see this as a weapon only viable with powered armor, so maybe that will ease my concerns. Then again, it's a video game, shouldn't be too concerned about realism.
Old 2011-11-06, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Marth Koopa View Post
Beat me to it
Old 2011-11-06, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Marth Koopa
Banned

Originally Posted by Haro View Post
I can't be sure, but I do say I think this looks like it could be rather close to the final product. A lot of work has been done to it, and it would be a pretty big waste of resources to only see this model not get used, since it is so hi-res.
It could have been intended to be used in TF2 as a replacement of the Heavy's default gun model.

Those TF2 guys are pretty nuts about their hats and guns
Old 2011-11-06, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

It could also be misdirection, a gag, or concept art.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-11-06, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Originally Posted by Galapogos View Post
http://meshmodeler.com/planetside.html

Was looking through t-ray's twitter posts, he replies to a user called meshmodeler about putting his assets in game. My guess is that at very least this gives us an idea of what the new MCG will look like.
sorry fellas, this is NOT a Planetside2 asset.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-11-06, 11:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Originally Posted by CViolet View Post
saving images in case they get yanked. That looks like our MCG!
Sorry, thats not a Planetside 2 asset. We work closely with the local Art Institute to give them projects to work on. This work was a part of one of those projects. It has nothing to do with Planetside 2 production.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-11-07, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Not at 6500 tris, no. Too big for a gun mesh(hell, more than most character meshes), too small for a high poly mesh used for baking normals.

Ofc the MCG is still as silly as it always was. Won't have nearly a high enough ROF to justify having the multiple barrels.
most first person guns in todays games are close to 10k polys on screen. Even though this isn't a planetside 2 asset, 6200 is a bit low for what we produce for Ps2
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion