News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 24 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your quote has been pre-rejected
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-22, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #346
Atheosim
Captain

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

I honestly find this "SOE killed the game" balderdash highly hilarious due to its purely hyperbolic childishness.
Old 2012-02-22, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #347
polywomple
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mauser101 View Post
Sturmgrenadier has a large number of Euro players primarily because we are not a single game guild. The likelyhood is that if those Euro players cannot play with us many of them will simply not play.
I don't think it's going to stop euro players from playing PS2 at all. People will compensate, if this is really the case.
Old 2012-02-22, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #348
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Many online games have this more the type mmo games, 3 editions of the game

U.S edition
E.U edition
Asia edition

Most of the time it's what everyone one you buy gives you the severs you want.
In the short time of things outfits from ps1 will ripped apart but ps1 is proby only 15% of the marketing taget. But in the long run you *may* get a smoother gameplay less lag ect.

This is out of are powers an we just gonna have to take it.

Outfits from planetside 1 heres a ideal I know your outfits are gonna be spit but why not have the outfits on all the severs?

U have eu officers and you us officers make two outfits same name, same website

But just remeber they have a manhattan of a project to do and every little help
Old 2012-02-22, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #349
Azren
Sergeant Major

I fear most of the negative feedback here comes from the fact that Pro7 will publish the game in EU and not the IP block.

Let's set things straight: IP block was always disliked by players, since it reduces the options of choice. Everyone should be made aware that while the wast majority of the playerbase will play on his/her region's server, a very few might choose otherwise. The reason for this is very simple: clans/outfits/friends. People they met online, possibly in Planetside, and had great joy playing with. An IP block removes any chance for these people to play and have fun together, like they used to.

As for Pro7 publishing the game, I personally find this to be a good idea and am in full support of it. The marketing skills of this company can not seriously be questioned. I would expect a far better EU marketing for PS2 than anything SoE could do on it's own. Lookint at SoE's past marketing faliures (PS, EQ2), I would say this is a change for the better, not the worse. Apart from marketing, the customer support should be at a higher level too.
Old 2012-02-22, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #350
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant

first 2 bits of feedback to the news from the press - expect more to come

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02...n-partnership/
http://www.csicon.org/the-three-mmos...ncy-podcast-1/

tick tock tick tock
Old 2012-02-22, 02:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #351
stordito
Staff Sergeant

Dear SOE
I'm from Eu...
Most of the people will use the nearest server, as usual.
but at least leave some slots (20%) for non-regional players...
Or implement a Kick for 400+ ping.
Maybe the playerbase in EU is not as developed as in the US,in fact larger communities are US-based...
PS2 has been developed with such great focus but then it fails on the simplest tasks like not pissing off the playerbase with stupid resitrictions never seen on PC.
Local Partners,region Locks,exclusives,data plans may sound good when you are in your leather chairs but they piss off costumers when it comes to choose,because they see their rights restricted day after day,wich is pretty common these days but not a good excuse to do the same.

I already feel we europeans are going to be second-class costumers,wich is exactly what Sony did with all their platforms and games here in the last 20 years or so,with poor regional management and lame costumer service (4 months for fixing a faulty PS3? x360 did it in 2 weeks)
So we are not going to be in beta probably,wich is sad for a "triple-A title"...
One of my Outfit plays from the US, i guess we will have to say goodbye,or set up some sort of tunneling/proxy/spoof server here so he can join us,maybe risking a ban or something just so he can play.

Up until a week ago everything seemed fine, the game looks very promising
and the engagement with the community has been excellent (and we are grateful for that).
I'm no market analyst or game developer,but the community will be a huge part of bringing the best experience possible and, most of all, spreading the word of this game existance.
You SOE proudly boost a (or should i say THE) MMOFPS featuring massive battles,but than you just split the experience not in the numbers but in the possibilities...
I've always seen the free to play policy with suspect:
as a costumer i do not seek savings as a minization of the price itself but as a maximization of the result
So i rather pay a 10€ fee and have a better experience and a costumer service,wich is exactly what most multiplatform players says about PSN vs xbox Live)

And bottom line, we have decent connections here,my ping to the US is between 70 and 100 ms with 100mbit BW.sometime i ping less than others playing from there,so i don't see why i need to be confined in a global network.
In the end I think that both of EU and US players will suffer from this decision.

some decisions...just...can't understand...WHY?

PS: sorry for typos/grammar, i'm not english.

Last edited by stordito; 2012-02-22 at 02:34 AM.
Old 2012-02-22, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #352
jakaul
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
There are definitely sound technical reasons for regional servers and we've always planned on having them.
I don't understand this. When PS1 had multiple servers, I got around the same ping on all of the servers as most of the Europeans and I live near Seattle. I play BF3 on Euro servers all the time and don't notice any real ping related issues, so what technical reasons other than ping are a factor?

As I said on tweeter to Smedley, you're effectively asking us not to play with friends that we've played with for 5-7+ years. People that kept subbed to PS1 for YEARS mostly because of their mates. Groups that helped each other buy US versions of WoW or whatever game so we could still play together. Man, that's a bitter pill to take.
Old 2012-02-22, 02:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #353
Dorest0rm
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

This thread exploded faster than the beta key one.

I hope this will not be anything like Dark age of Camelot where EU got patches months later.

Sent from my Gameboy Advanced using Tapatalk
Old 2012-02-22, 03:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #354
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

There are definitely sound technical reasons for regional servers and we've always planned on having them.
From the poll/thread I made the other day, a lot of people seem to actually agree with the concept of regional servers for performance optimization. However, what folks seem to be genuinely upset about is that this optimization comes at the expense of personal choice.
Old 2012-02-22, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #355
Mirror
First Sergeant

why can't we just choose a server at login like we did in planetside 1 for years before the merge. why take a step backwards???.

I'm worried now that I won't get into beta now and my account all get shipped over to some company that I want nothing to do with.

if I can't play with the rest of my outfit on a server that suits all of us then consider me a customer that soe will get no further money from. I'm sure that others feel the same way that I do and I hope they follow me in a boycott if this continues.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-02-22, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #356
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

I reached out to John about this tonight. He's off in Japan right now but was aware of the issues that everyone was bringing up (he's on here more often than you guys know about) and wanted to be sure you guys knew we were hearing the feedback and paying attention.
Japan, eh? So he's either getting fired or he's selling the Aussies to a big Far East e-publisher?

Well, I know which option I'm hoping for.
Old 2012-02-22, 03:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #357
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
From the poll/thread I made the other day, a lot of people seem to actually agree with the concept of regional servers for performance optimization. However, what folks seem to be genuinely upset about is that this optimization comes at the expense of personal choice.
Absolutely.

What needs to come back is a server screen with the US and EU servers on. A regional choice without having to register with a different company or download a different version of the game.

Ideally I'd like to see EVE's system, but I know that won't happen.

Edit: Wasn't Smedly out of the country last time we needed him as well? His clout would probably be quite useful to us right now...

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
You EU players know you'll still play the game anyway...
Actually, no I won't. I have good resolve when it comes to things like this and I can only hope there are enough others who are the same.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-02-22 at 03:39 AM.
Old 2012-02-22, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #358
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

This currently doesnt effect me afaik but it reeks of a decision from someone who has never played an MMO. Yet those are the people that will continue to make these unpopular decisions.
Its all about $$ and nothing else to them.

I hope that some sort of common sense prevails and this possible split of the community is rectified asap.
Old 2012-02-22, 03:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #359
Spoof
Corporal

Sometimes it's good to speak with a clear voice, and I believe most of the community would agree with the following key points.

Regional Servers
Yes. We want the choice of playing with a decent ping.

Regional Blocking
No. We want the choice to continue long-standing friendships with guilds and outfits. The internet doesn't need another Berlin Wall running through the mid-Atlantic.

Beta Participation
Yes for all. There is no valid reason to region block the beta. Network code needs to be tested with fuzzy Euro pings too.

Veteran Rewards
If Europeans have to create new accounts with a new publisher, then any potential reward scheme must migrate with them. They've shown the same loyalty, paid the same fees, and fought in the same battles as everyone else.

Service
Game patches, server hardware and performance, and customer support should be on an even par with all other regions. Regardless of who publishes the game SOE must take responsibility and not allow players to slip into second-class tiers.

And yes, this seemed as good a time as any to stop lurking after all these years Greets!
Old 2012-02-22, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #360
Princess Frosty
Corporal

To devs:

I'm not going to dance around this issue being a EU player who has been burned several times in the past by MMOs which have decided to erect artificial barriers between regions. I know you want to settle our fears by telling us X and Y but the honest truth is that other developers have said the exact same thing in the past and their partners dicked us over anyway, so words mean little, action on your part to directly address issues is what is important.

Quite frankly this just seems like another in a long line of stupid decisions, starting with outsourcing everything over in the EU, you seriously need to consider justifying to your player base the restrictions you're deliberately putting on them...

I can only speak for myself but I was ready to drop a load of cash on my account on day 1 to boost everything, but the more I read about the separation or EU/US accounts the more put off I am. It would be worth keeping in mind that some players like me are going to see money spent on boosting exp and skills as an investment in your game for potentially the next 5+ years of gaming it NEEDS to feel like a safe investment, I need to believe you're making decisions that are in the PLAYERS best interest, restricting my rights based on where I live is ridiculous and pathetic, that's about as civil as I can muster, my apologies if that doesn't meet the standards for acceptable feedback.

PC game fix database - http://www.pcgamingstandards.com
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion