Im afraid... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only place you have a life.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-11-25, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

Im afraid...

Ive been playing these FPS's for a while now, but no game (almost Q3) has hooked me like Tribes2 has.

The game with the steep learning curve and awesome gameplay, along with the competition keeps me playing it everynight and 95% of my freetime. ( I seriously dont have a life ;p)

What Im wondering is if this is going to be something that hooks like T2 does or just a role playing/FPS version of the "other" machine gun games...

I mean, dont get me wrong, Ive been waiting for this game ever since E3 a long time ago, but Im worried it might just be a chain-em-down game. From what Ive seen (screenshots) and one super-small movie, it looks beyond unbelievably awesome.

Anyways, Id just like some input from the people creating/playing it. I know it's in the internal beta stage, so not too many out there. Im very familiar about how the weapons are and how th point system works, but Im interested on how the people will get kills. What I mean by that is there mostly going to be "whoring" of 'chaingun' weapons?

Anyways, still looking foward to see how it is...

<3
Valid
Old 2002-11-25, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

One more note:
Curious to how fast you can waste someone, I hoping it will be balanced in that aspect...

*edit* Btw, a demo of some actual playing would answer a lot of my questions... So when (IF) is the ETA on something like that?
Old 2002-11-26, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

There are some demos of people playing here:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/c...diaPage#movies

There is also another movie that is gamespot subscription only :| it shows some cool stuff.

As for this game hooking you.. the community aspect and persistant world will be a big part of that.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-11-26, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Hey what would you get if you combined Tribes and Evercrack?

PLANETSIDE... everquest was only as addicting as crack, this is gonna be like Herion baby.

Drugs are bad, dont do them, have sex insteed.
Old 2002-11-26, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Here's the way I see things having been very addicted to both Tribes, and Tribes 2.....

We're all aware of the fact that Dave G was the lead Dev, on Tribes 2, and he is also the lead Dev on Planetside. The games are very similar in a lot of ways. Even the back story of Tribes, and Planetside are very close.

So Tribes 2 comes out, and the game play is a little slower then Tribes 1, and the larger maps forced team work. It was a very fun game out of the box. I enjoyed playing Base on the 16 man TWL ladder for a very long time.

Then Dave leaves for Planetside and Marewease takes over, and things start to go downhill. Enter the "Spor vs War" argument. Under Daves direction Tribes 2 was a giant galatic battle, and the game was meant to be played by large teams.

Marwease on the other hand beleaved that the game was more of a "sport" then it was war. So what you have now in Tribes 2 is vastly diffrent then what Dave origonally wanted for the game.

So to answer your question, I think Planetside is Dave's chance to finally make the game he wanted Tribes 2 to be. It's the same dream only this time it's been taken to the next level. So when asking yourself if your going to like this Planetside ask yourself: "Do I like Tribes 2 the way it is now, or the way it was March 31st 2001 when it was Dave's game?"

I for one liked Dave's T2, and I don't play Mareweas's version.

Like Dave said durring the Dev interview "It's War, not football!"
Old 2002-11-26, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

Should I start saving up for counciling now then?

Old 2002-11-26, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Well said Unreg... I agree totally. The early days of T2 with the team play and huge slow maps were the best.

Looking forward to this!

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2002-11-26, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

Well unlike some of the people from the T2 community, I liked Dave G's work. Base is still my fav mod type.

Anwyays, that E3 video doesnt show much combat, it just shows vehicles with automatic weapons (which looked awesome, i might add) The part that interested me the MOST was the part at the end where you were walking around in first person mode, and I got to see some FPS action... without the action ;p
Old 2002-11-26, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

I had the most fun playing Base too.
Old 2002-11-26, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Monsoon
Private

lol.. Val.. its DxM-Apcalypse
and i agree totally with you in this post
good to see us t2ers making the transition
but if everquest is crack.. t2 is methadone.. hope planetside is straight H
Old 2002-11-26, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
ChrisMOG
Corporal

Yeah this classic mod is all lame. Being a good capper in classic is like being able to ride a sled down a hill (no talent required). Sure it makes defense work harder, which is good, but some of the "routes" are just too hard to stop. Anyways I hope PS is good.

Last edited by ChrisMOG; 2002-11-26 at 02:18 PM.
Old 2002-11-26, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
jamikey
Sergeant

uhhhh good post guys.
Old 2002-11-26, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Jimmah
Private

From what I've seen on the gamespot videos is that damage is a bit less than TFC. I'm only going off appearances.. but it seems quite acceptable.

An example is when they storm this base, and 2 guys are defending. The person who's recording it runs inbetween two of these guys, and begins shooting at them, and suddenly... boom. he's down on the floor. I like that because it shows you can't just stroll in to a well defended place and do some damage.

And I saw a 75mb movie that showed some vehicles off in action, and from what I gathered, if you're caught outside in the open by an APC (it's a Lightning i think), then you stand no chance if you haven't got the weapons.. which I like aswell.
Old 2002-11-26, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

That 75MB one is the gamespot subscription vid I believe.

Old 2002-11-26, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

I don't think I've seen the 75meg one
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion