PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Exclusive Terran Republic Character Model
View Single Post
Old 2011-02-13, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Re: Exclusive Terran Republic Character Model

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Its just that i've not seen a good Unreal Engine 3 environment yet that hasn't been full of over the top bloom, desaturated dull colours and distance blur to hurt your eyes. Also things dont blend well in that engine, like grass into the land etc. If they can get round those problems, then thats great.

Lets hope it looks like this if its unreal engine!

YouTube - Real-Time Neuschwanstein Environment Castle UDK
Meh thats designer choices. They could've adjusted all that if they wanted. An engine is the very basics, you can change it to suit your needs.

All Points Bulletin (not the best of games) was on the UE3 as well and there was hardly any bloom etc. in that game. And it's an MMOFPS (barely).

I do hope that it can handle huge battles like Smed says. APB on UE3 only allowed for 60 players in one district (same map) and only allowed groups of 4 people to battle against eachother with a possibility of a max of 8vs8 and even then the game had some major lag and stability issues at the start. And required a beast of a machine to run (especially memory wise, but that was mostly due to insane amounts of customization you could do).

Global Agenda uses UE3 too if i'm correct, and they too only allow battles the size you see in FPS games. I hope SOE did some hardcore coding to the engine, perhaps added some sort of licensed technology to it that will allow for the huge battles we all crave.

Last edited by I SandRock; 2011-02-13 at 01:05 PM.