PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Exclusive Terran Republic Character Model
View Single Post
Old 2011-02-13, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Re: Exclusive Terran Republic Character Model

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I am not so sure you can tell what engine the game is in based on the various screenshots. It could be anything at this point really since we don't know.

I love the level of detail and can't wait to see the other armors. Glad to see some TR Representation after all the NC shots!
Hmm not entirely true. Each engine has certain very recognizable characteristics. Hero Engine for instance looks vary clay/cartoonish. Unreal Engine 3 has a certain look to the characters, especially the way the hair and skin is done realistically. This doesn't mean you can't change that look at all (APB for instance) but unchanged it has a certain defining look to it.

Examples:

Only other engine that I know of that has similar realistic character looks is Crytek

But it seems to be a lesser choice as Engine, the UE has always been known as one of the best engines out there in general (especially FPS) and highly customizable and flexible. If a game has realistic looking character models then that alone gives it a high probability it uses the UE3 simply because its so widely used

In fact, if you know a game uses a licensed engine then guessing its UE3 probably makes you right most of the times

The thing that makes me somewhat doubt it is the way the eyes look on the character.

Last edited by I SandRock; 2011-02-13 at 03:36 PM.