PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Chinese Interview with John Smedley
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #152
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Re: Chinese Interview with John Smedley

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
It kind of sounds like you will be able to pay to shortcut your way towards a weapon cert, which would normally take half a year of unlocking to get. Which is a cool thing, since you can then improve other, more practical certs.

I wonder, though... Would the cash shop gun be unlocked forever for $5 (like in TF2), or "leased" (like in APB), for instance for $1 per month...

If you're not planning on selling new content (like new continents) as expansions, the "buy forever" approach may end up leaving nothing to drain money out of veteran players with.
A good question

In general I'm not a big fan of leasing weapons. I see this done in other games and I don't much like it. There could be some stuff we sell that has a timer on it though if we're trying to give players options to a sub (note that we may offer a sub of some kind that gives a package of stuff but isn't neccessary to get but could offer you things like faster skill training for the month.. but you could also buy an item that gives you the same thing).

In terms of the buy forever approach.. the assumption is the game evolves and we add all kinds of new cool stuff. I've said all along I want to see player owned bases.