PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The downside of F2P (lol at the web comic)
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-09, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: The downside of F2P (lol at the web comic)

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I'm all for allowing solo play, but my preference clearly is more important and I want people who don't play the way I do to suffer some severe penalties because of it. If they're not playing the way I am, the correct way, then they clearly suck and don't deserve to compete with me.

That pretty much sum it up? You realize teamwork works right? There doesn't have to be actual mechanics supporting it, or something to push for it working. People working as a team will succeed more than those that do not. This is true in Every. Single. Game. Even the 'solo killwhore twitch games'. An awesome CS or Quake clan will wipe the floor with a team of awesome individual players who don't work together. Nothing extra is needed.
Congratulations on interpreting my words in a completely different way than they were intended. Perhaps some blame lays with me for my choice of wording.

Obviously, if you put 8 players vs 8 players, with all 16 being of equal skill, the side that uses team work will win every time in every game. The real point of contention here is how large a factor team work should play as opposed to reflexes and personal skill.

In team oriented games, reflexes will help, but you can beat a more skilled group of opponents by working together better than they are.

In twitch based games, that group of 8 working as a team are going to get their asses handed to them if their opponents are all a little more skilled than they are.

I haven't had a problem with changes like the driver controlling the main gun in Planetside 2 because I think it will be more welcoming to solo players, while doing little to damage team work.

I myself liked to run solo in Planetside a fair amount of the time, just to run around and shoot people without thinking about squad tactics or outfit objectives. It was never as effective as teaming up with other players though.

I'm not worried about the team work in Planetside 2, or the solo play. From everything I've heard so far, the developers seem to be doing a good job of supporting both styles of play. I was merely stating my opinion on where the balance should lay for rewarding team work versus rewarding personal skill.

I think Planetside 2 should lean more towards rewarding team work than personal skill.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2011-10-09 at 07:18 AM.