PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: PAX Future of Online Games Panel
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-08, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Pax Future of MMO Panel

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
GW2 PVP (World Vs World) is very similar to Planetside. Open world ganking is not good gameplay.
Yes, it is. You need to be ready to be attacked whenever an attack comes. Lack of open world pvp is a lot worse than any shooter casualization. If I want to play consensual only PvP, I'll play a shooter.

UNDERSTAND, though, that the real problem is this: To the best of my knowledge, they won't even be providing optional PvP servers. Everquest, for example, in its golden era, had a shitload of non-pvp servers and 3 PvP servers. That's how it should be, you provide a PvP option for those that want it. Carebears that only want to PvP when they are ready for it can simply not choose a PvP server.

You can argue about how open world PvP isn't what you want, and that's fine, they should give you the ability to pick that kind of server. But how can you justify not allocating one or two servers to the people that want PvP? PvP servers also serve the purpose of gathering the scumbags, of which I am one, and putting them off away from the rest of the playerbase.