PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Systems: Achievable goals with tangible rewards in losing battles.
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-11, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
ITOS
Corporal

Achievable goals with tangible rewards in losing battles.

I have some concern about how fun PlanetSide 2 will be to play when you are loosing badly. I made a thread (link) about the issue and this is an idea that came from it.

The point is to give defenders of a territory, that have no hope of success, a common achievable goal that motivates them to fight rather than to give up and go elsewhere (or perhaps even log out).

When the defenders are seriously outnumbered but there is still fighting going on the game designates the battle a "Last Stand". Each soldier of the losing faction in that battle gets a countdown timer on their HUD. Successfully holding the territory till the timer reach zero while being outmatched gives all defenders a reward (e.g. resources, temporary unlocks or free uses of certain equipment).

The length of the timer would depend on how outnumbered the defenders are and the capture time for the attackers. The level of the reward would be individual and depend on how long time you've participated in the defense.

The idea can be expanded on, for example with awards for successfully participating in X number of "Last Stands" (the "Alamo" award) and outfit specializations (shorter timer, higher rewards, notifications of "Last Stands").