PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Empire jumping, spying and cloakers.
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-27, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Empire jumping, spying and cloakers.

Hi All,

I've got a couple of points to raise in this thread, first of all is to voice a concern that's been growing in my mind. I thought it would be a good idea to throw it out into the community and see if its shared, if the devs have put thought into tackling it and to see if the community can come up with some ideas to combat it. The second part is a gameplay mechanic which I think would add an exciting and (up to now) unexplored new angle to PS2.

First of all I am slightly concerned about the mission system as it stands, its a great concept.. Incentivising team work and giving commander the tools to direct the flow of battle, it will surely provide a enjoyable meta game. But as things stand I can see 'spying' being a big problem, with the game being free to play there is absolutely nothing stopping people (especially commanders) having two instances of the game open and then directly countering missions that might have been set by the opposition. Imagine if in the second world war all alliance and axis strategy was broadcast directly to the opposition.. There's a good chance it would still be going on today. Obviously there are things commanders can do to try and combat this like in the original game.. Such as withholding target information for as long as possible, but I still think this will have a negative effect on gameplay.

So what can be done about it? I really don't know, you cant lock people down to 1 connection per i.p. for obvious reasons. You can limit it to one instance of the game per PC.. but I doubt people will double box PS. Any ideas?

The gameplay mechanic that I think might have some legs is the ability for infiltrators who have dedicated a lot of time into cloaky infil related activities getting the ability to hack out Intel about the opposite faction.. Such as what missions are currently on that continent, current enemy locations as an overlay, all of which can be shared with the entire faction via an Intel overlay on the map. It would have to be hard to achieve to get data like this, maybe even involve some sort of hacking minigame like Deux ex in the oppositions main control room/CC. Obviously if someone can just log onto a second account and find out this information easily then there is no point in even considering putting development effort into this.