PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Tweet hints at FPS numbers
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-30, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Re: Tweet hints at FPS numbers

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Has SOE ever collected hardware data from the Station Launcher/Game launchers to determine what their current playerbase has for PC configurations? Something similar to the Steam survey.
I'm not in a related department, so I don't know about any survey anything. I (and most gamers probably) have looked at several sources with info about what people have.

My question was different.

I've seen many people talk about different machines on these forums, and any survey will tell you what people HAVE, but these surveys never say how people FEEL about them. I was genuinely curious (on a personal note) what people consider a mid-level machine. At home, I have quite the spread from a somewhat old 1.8GHz single-core 64 bit machine with a 8600GT (it's a linux box for fun - Oolite!) through several machines up to my laptop (the best machine at home right now) with an i7/560M and a 1080p screen.

I know what these machines are capable of, and I know the performance from a serious coder/electronics geek level. I see my family discuss how their machines work, and then there's the developers - who often have phenomenal hardware for developing because compiling takes serious Storage and CPU power these days.

My laptop can handle some modern games pretty well at 720p resolutions and medium settings (which I personally am fine with) - and I play a few at full 1920x1080 at a moderate frame rate (~30fps). I'm fine with that at home right now.

I think the results so far point to a small variation on what people consider a "mid-level" machine. I know my view is fairly skewed based on the awesome hardware we have access to, but we also have many other machines to test with and I'd like to make sure my second machine here is a mid-level. I don't consider it fair to truly test performance in general on my dev box.