PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Nvidia GTX 690 (May 3rd)
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-30, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: Nvidia GTX 690 (May 3rd)

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403717,00.asp

What a monster. I want it.

$1000 bucks is insane though... probably well worth it.
What a waste.

Seriously, if you havend figured it yet: SLI/Crossfire/Dual GPU is a massive massive waste, unless you use it for certain applications that actually use two GPUs.
Games are not counted as such applications.

So far, not a single game came even close to have double performance from a SLI setup. In fact, most games are still running perfectly fine on a GTX 280. In double fact, all games i play, even those very new ones, are still running fine on MY GTX 280.
Right now its the time to move forward from that GTX 280 (GTX 570 in shipping atm ), but clearly its a massive waste to get a GTX 680, or even 690 right now.
For once, Nvidia cards suck balls. Their GPUs are completly awesome, but they dont have a clue how to put a proper card together. Then, the price will drop rapidly in a few month.
But most important: a single GTX 570 will be fine for the next bunch of years. a GTX 680 may hold a year longer, but that single year isnt worth double the price. But a 690? That thing may, if games start to use SLI well enough in the future (they wont), may be powerful enough for another 6 month extra. And thats it. You just payed 5 times the price of my GTX 570 (200 €) to get yourself a 690, and all you get is that your card MAY be good for an extra one and a half year.
And that ONLY if games start using SLI properly, and ONLY if no new super awesome tech comes out.
Sadly, games wont ever start using SLI properly, and the next super awesome tech is already coming...