PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Religion
Thread: Religion
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-02, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #591
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Re: Religion

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
While I agree with you that Duke and Tomcat have apparently misunderstood the purpose of the "debate" forum in that they seem patently uninterested (in the case of Tomcat, in almost every thread) in debate, I don't think it's entirely without value for us to continue responding to them.

After all, I never thought for a moment that either of them would read one of my posts and smack their foreheads and go "oh my god, I've been wrong all this time". Hardly. I expect they barely read my posts as it is.

It's like exercise for the brain. I read their posts and construct rebuttal arguments (or, occasionally, as it was in the monument thread, actually agree with folks of a differing opinion). It's a worthwhile endeavor because debate is how we get towards the truth. Everyone walks away from a debate thinking they were the winner, moral or otherwise. But the debate is important to have, as it gives up perspective on the opinions of our fellow man, and gives us an opportunity to try out our own opinions; to see which ones hold up under scrutiny, and which ones do not.

It's "opinion practice". A fun diversion that helps strengthen the headmuscles. I will keep posting as long as they do. If they've realized that they simply lack the ability to defend their position, I'll happily let them go, but I won't give up so long as they stay in the conversation, because boy howdy I'm having the time of my life.
I never said I was uninterested in debate.

I'm just uninterested in talking to people that have no interest in hearing my opinion.

That's all.