PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Customization Woes
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-06, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Re: Customization Woes

Originally Posted by Ceska View Post
We had santa hats in Planetside... People liked it.
I realize we had them, and I didn't like them then either. I dealt with them, but I'd have prefered not to have had to unless I specifically felt like seeing people wearing Santa hats shooting at each other. They didn't make any sense in the story of the game, they were just fun items, and while there's nothing wrong with that I simply prefer not having to see them.

What makes the difference between the two is that players who want to hide customization want to take away the enjoyment from a potential skin customer, and thus potential sales.

To do this would mean creating a whole different product for such a group, to make sure that each customization that makes it into the game has an option to turn it off as well, and that the option has all the store support to go along with it. This just adds work for the devs for an arguable minority.

It's also completely in the air on how to price such an option to make it effective and bring everything even in terms of money lost/money gained.
I don't want to take anyone's enjoyment away. They won't know that I can't see the skin they are using, and unless someone goes around screaming about how they can't see a particular skin, no one will ever know. As a result, I fail to see how it affects their enjoyment. Most of the people who buy skins simply won't care.

Again, I'm not going to argue technical details. Yes, it would cause more work, but players do like this kind of control. If one person is willing to pay it, I can guarantee you they're not alone. Pricing simply depends on how much skins will be in the first place, which I'm expecting the majority to be no more than a dollar or two. As such I think somewhere between $10 - $15 is entirely fair for such a feature, and I'd certainly be willing to pay it. So long as it lets you pick and choose, it remains relevant even to those who do like some customizations as well, and price like that seems very appealing for that control.

Last edited by LostAlgorithm; 2012-05-06 at 12:30 PM.