PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - AMS Mk.3 design (for when it does get into PS2)
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-28, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: AMS Mk.3 design (for when it does get into PS2)

Originally Posted by Marine Six View Post
Im pretty sure they already stated the gals are going to be the spawn points, much more mobility know what i mean?
The Galaxy's mobility is a non-asset to a spawnpoint.

In fact, it's detriment. It will be far too obvious due to size and being airborne. The point of an AMS is reaching a position stealthfully. The Galaxy is the least suited unit of all for this sort of thing.

As for a Deliverer variant (I take it you mean the APC concept we've seen?). It'd be possible... But I don't see why you would use a combat vehicle for this and like the Sunderer, it's not designed for its purposes with visual use cues (meaning you see terminals or something you can use). I wouldn't mind seeing an Amphibious module installed though.

Besides, you don't take a spawnpoint into, but close to combat as you want it to survive and troops spawn in a safe environment so they can orientate, grab or exchange gear, heal etc. That's also why the Galaxy will fail as a spawnpoint. It won't be safe to spawn at unless it's miles away from the fighting (meaning you might as well spawn at a tower) and then it will be pointless for anything but gal drops. The only exception is if you land on a cliff overlooking a base with some air superiority and then have light assault glide in. But that's too situational to be an "all purposes" vehicle, which the AMS is.

Meaning it's fine for Gal drops and a select few other situations, but that has never been the function of an AMS: the AMS is there to consistently cut the logistics short and be a far more stable spawnpoint that doesn't require a lot of effort to keep alive. A Galaxy that runs gal drops is a temporary spawnpoint and that would upset a frontline a lot because it's there one second then gone the next, because either it flies off constantly to do drops (and then dies or gets discarded) or it will blow up due to being a huge and thus easy to track down target.

The Phantasm would be a bit overpowered in terms of locational positioning IMO, perhaps a bit too easy to get into position. On the other hand, with the canyon system it could be a benefit to avoid detection. But you might as well just fly behind them and grab an AMS from a local terminal, tbh.

Btw, people who think all sorts of units should be combined into one unit suffer from this:

Those people are like the three generals in this clip. They simply have too much ambition and lose sight of what's important in good design: that something is not half arsed for its job, but simply GOOD for what it does. It shouldn't "ALSO" be something completely different, because it won't do that role as well as something dedicated to THAT purpose would.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-06-28 at 04:33 AM.