PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SmedBlog: Harvestable Resources
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-12, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: SmedBlog: Harvestable Resources

While I am a fan of harvesting in EVE (I probably gas more than run wh plexes for cash), I don't believe that PS really needs the additional depth. It's a fighting game. We're here not for the sandbox. We're here to put our boots on the throats of our enemies. I don't think that an additional resource mechanic, for its own sake, is necessary.

However, if harvesting setups (mobile npc? towers dropped from orbit on resource nodes? player ops?) were just there to give players a reason to leave static structures then that's something else entirely. Mobile fighting points? Random spawn areas to change combat focus? Hell, non-random, system directed spawns to make the maps more dynamic. Now -that- I could get behind. Harvesting is the MacGuffin, the real point is getting players fighting over something new and changing up the strategic landscape.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.

Last edited by exLupo; 2012-08-12 at 03:30 AM.