PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SmedBlog: eSports Support
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-12, 03:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
Tzitzimitl
Private

Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

Smed I believe a concern that has been implied but not been discussed as much is balance. The reason I bring this up is that in game like this where the scale of battles can vary in size, balance that is mainly focused on esports size battles can have ranging effects.

To give an example: A liberator could potentially be considered OP in battle that is small(roughly 50vs50) as there would not be as much AA/enemy aircraft counter it. However as soon as you bring in more people lets says, 200vs 200 it is easy to see that the liberator is not OP because of the increased amount of AA/ enemy aircraft. Also lets say these 200vs200 battles are the battles to non-esport players fight in.

Now lets say the esport battles are 50vs50. Since in those battles the liberator is OP and the balance focuses around esport size battles, it gets nerfed. Now the balance team decides that to they will nerf its hitpoints and its damage so it is balanced when it comes to 50vs50 battles. This nerf makes it balanced in 50vs50 but makes it under-powered in 200vs200. Effectively gimping a vehicle that was fine in the non-esport battles.

To sum it all up, balance will affect all players but will affect non-esport players much more than esport competitors. This is what one of the main concerns is if esports is implemented. However I would like to add the closer the esport battle sizes are to actual battle sizes the less and less this becomes a concern. Actual battles = battles that non-esport players participate in.

Now lets say you don't balance for esports. What starts to happen is that strategies/setups appear that are far superior to any other strategies/setup people can use. Pretty soon the esports arena start becoming who can the execute the most broken strategy the fastest. And these strategies only change when there is a balance change for the other players. So basically this means that in order for your esports scene to be taken seriously it must be focused on the esports battles rather than balancing for actual battles.

Again actual battles = battles that non-esport players participate in. Anyways this is an issue that i wanted to bring up when setting up your esports scene