PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SmedBlog: eSports Support
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-12, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
igster
Sergeant

Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

I have mixed feelings over this. I love e-sports... however... mainly I love games that were designed from the ground up specifically for e-sports.
There is some scope for this - I remember the outfit wars and the many outfits that took part in these still talk about them today... funnily enough mainly the ones that did well in them! *8)

If I were Smed, I'd get the feedback from some of the people involved in e-sports like @Totalbiscuit, James Harding(@follow2GD) , @djWHEAT, @robertohlen, Sundance DiGiovanni(@MLGSundance). I'm pretty sure I've heard them all say before that you should design the e-sports in from the ground up rather than simply think you can turn any game into an e-sport.

Some formats simply suit it better. Arena style play etc. But when you take a game designed for a sandbox and try to mould it into an Arena style play, you quite often end up with breaking the original game in many ways (look at the trouble caused in games like WoW, Diablo III in terms of class balancing)