PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SmedBlog (last year): NPC Enemies and Armies
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-12, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #208
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Re: SmedBlog: NPC Enemies and Armies

Players should be the hero if they earn it and deserve it by doing actually amazing things that affect the dynamic game world. Like in vanilla WoW, I once won a 1v4 fight with equal level players on my warlock, and it was awesome. If you land a galaxy where you shouldnt be able to by using dummy galaxies to take the fire and capture a base because of it, you should feel like a hero. Not because you can log in with a pulse.

But I think the total "NO NO NO" disagreement with anything involving NPCs is silly; it can be done right, and it can be used as something SPECIAL, not daily, to shake up gameplay. What if when the vanu control two continents, it attracts alien attention, which causes some insane shit to go down involving NPCs?

Or once an empire caps every one of the whateverthefuck factories, their engineers can spend resources to deploy simple automated ground bots that walk and fire weapons on their own (but aren't as good as a player of course)

I see no problem with actually being creative about it