PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Bridges - I like them, but is there a point to them?
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-14, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kipper
Captain

Re: Bridges - I like them, but is there a point to them?

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
Bridges are FRIGGIN COOL BRAH. What more reason do you need to have them, fight over them, and want them? I mean, really. They are cool. Take them.
Agreed to that, the concerns are twofold:

1. Bridge needs to be a significantly quicker way from point A to point B to make it worth fighting over.

2. Bridge needs to span something you can't just walk across to make it so that to take the bridge, you have to cross the bridge. Air drops are valid to get troops across, as are (in some, but not all cases for variety) LA jumps or even quad jumps - but allowing people to walk/drive down one side of a ravine and back up the other in next to no time renders the bridge pointless. Given the danger involved in doing so, why would you try to cross it? (and as a defender, you're meant to be able to understand where the main zerg attack is likely to come from).

In the TB video, the bridge around 16/17 minutes appeared (from what I saw) to span a very shallow dip which looked like you could cross it anywhere, or just walk around it for the sake of a few seconds. To have value, a bridge needs to take off a couple of minutes travel time.

Originally Posted by Comet View Post
Some bridges do seem to serve no purpose. There are some that do fulfil the role of an actual bridge however and that you'll want to fight over. Judging from some Higby streams anyway. We'll see once we all get in beta.
That's good to know! I haven't watched all the higby streams, there's starting to be more footage than I have time to sit and watch, so I've not seen everything you guys have.

Last edited by Kipper; 2012-08-14 at 12:57 PM.