PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Will this game fail?
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-03, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Diehard
Corporal

Re: Will this game fail?

Originally Posted by Boone View Post
Do the graphics/weapons really need a dramatic overhaul? Haven't played, but you usually see graphics and these kind of things prettied up more and more the closer to release. Wouldn't really worry about that too much to be honest. I think the whole flow of the battles, etc is probably more important to get that right first.

The problem is most people playing think it's a marketing beta (that's what I call em) when in fact it looks to be a true/serious beta test (comparing to DUST just because been playing that). I bet only %5 are truely "testing" unfortunately. I'm not too worried.

I'm more worried about optimization but I hear that is going OK.

They'll need to market a couple months a head of time..if the game even comes out this year. They definetely don't need to waste resources on CGI trailer and commercials though. Plenty of others ways to market these days.

It's probably a good thing SOE isn't counting on box sales. What they are counting on is releasing the most polished game they can, because if they can't...nobody is going to stick around and buy anything...and they have to have that to survive.

I love F2P when done correctly and think it can be a good thing for the consumer instead of getting raped on games you can't ever get your money back for.

ps - VS looks like they could use some love in the dmg department. Saw a video of NC with some recoil stuff, basically had no recoil on an HA and on the hardest hitting faction. I dunno..
I wouldnt worry about marketing if its a single player. The fact that its MMO F2P that makes marketing even more essential than ever.

I also agree that focussing on making the game polished is very important as well, but whats the use if nobody seems to be interested or worse, knows that the game even existed. Remember, this game especially, relies on numbers of players to make it successful.