PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Instant Action E-Sports and PlanetSide 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-01, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Pella
Captain

Re: Instant Action E-Sports and PlanetSide 2

Originally Posted by Rahabib View Post
some of your points are valid in the video. I think that esports in general isn't the death of the game, and may even bring in a few people into the mix.

The one thing I do disagree with is that successful games occur organically. The fact is, while yes, many have not sought out to be an esport, the successful games remained successful because there were tools in place for fair competition to continue.

Counter strike(s): has HLTV, can record demos, can manage games well (ready up etc.), and has some degree of modding for maps etc. setting changes.
Day of Defeat(s): see above.
Quake: see above minus HLTV.
Unreal Tournament: can record demos, modding, settings.
SC 1 and 2: allows recording demos, modding for maps, etc.
LOL: can record games, not sure about modding - never got that far into it.

Recording is a big one because its the only way for leagues to maintain rules and enforce bans on cheaters.

Say what you will about SC2 dying, the fact is, it will probably still be played competitively, just maybe not on the same level as some other games. But honestly, PC gaming in general just peters out when something better comes a long or a game gets stale. The same will happen to PS2. Even CS everyone laments its fall but there will be diehards who will continue it on.

My point is, just because a game is fun online, doesnt mean it can be an esport. It needs an audience AND tools to make it viable.
Good points. 2 CS:GO 5v5s i played this month which we lost. Ended up us winning because each team had a hacker in them. ESL gave us the points and banned those players from competing in all ESL events for ever.

Not sure how SOE intend to monitor hackers. As of late they are slow to react.