PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Recent string of Emails to Smedley in regards to PS1 F2P Status
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-24, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Re: Recent string of Emails to Smedley in regards to PS1 F2P Status

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
That may be true, but think about it. PlanetSide basically needs approximately 180 people online per empire at any one time to sustain a pop-lock (three-way) and a smaller secondary fight. That's 540 people that should be active throughout the day, so maybe like a total of 1500-2000 active players that play at different times of the week.

Night fights would probably be smaller, but that also has its advantages (provides pace change, etc).

That's not a lot, especially if the game were free-to-play. I think that easily 2000+ people would play PS1 if it were free.
you need 2 pop locks per faction minimum. If every faction has 1 lock and some change there will only always be 1 big 3-way which was PS at its worst, and it will not retain players. In order to play the global game and have a good changing world you need each faction to have multiple locks, better promoting 2-way fights.

I'm all for getting PS1 down to a $5 sub (or F2P, but sub would be beter), but you will need 5000+ people playing actively for it last beyond a month.