PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - How PhysX runs on Nvidia and AMD (ATI) systems
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-16, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: How PhysX runs on Nvidia and AMD (ATI) systems

What SOE was saying I believe is that even if you have an AMD card you can still use PhysX by using the CPU. No other way around this issue at the moment.

Last I heard though the Metro 2033 did make use of PhysX to a good extant compared to previous games. I know Metro is considered among many to the Crysis of DX11 in terms of graphics too. If people find it playable all the power to them of course.

Like I mentioned though PhysX 3.0 is going to be taking more advantage of CPU power.

Again this is from the review. It shows the Core i7 980X in terms of scaling with a number of cores. Going to 1 to 2 cores there is a bump in performance, but after that even with 6 cores you have the same performance. If we are lead to believe PhysX 3.0 allows for more multithreading we could potentially at least 2 times the performance of PhysX on quad cores or higher. Going with that it would be smart to even have a quad core for this game if you do not have a Nvidia card.

Even if PS2 doesn't let you turn PhysX off, there maybe a low setting for CPUs to have to better handle the game. Nvidia wanted PhysX for their GPUs to boost sales, so with that I am positive the GPU will still out do the CPU by a good margin.