PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Why you shouldn't plan on playing PlanetSide 2 on a laptop
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-26, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Why you shouldn't plan on playing PlanetSide 2 on a laptop

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
The cards you linked there are the epitome of what I'd call past the point of reason. You're blowing an extra $200 on a pretty-looking red fan. There isn't that much difference between the cooler they put on it and the one that XFX (just to throw out a name) puts on theirs. And in any case, you won't run into the issue of overheating that card with its OEM cooler unless you overclock, which aside from being a separate venture, voids the warranty and is not advisable for those making a first venture into hardware configuration.
Stop right there, mister! You're misinforming people in an informational thread. You've compared a 6870 with a 580 or something. $20 for some coolers, maybe. $200? Never. Not even the ultra ridiculous price bump on PowerColors Devil 13 is $200.

www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_570_Direct_Cu_II

Just as an example, the extra $10 on that 570 gets you one of the quietest 570s (I care about noise. Guess what the other quiet cooler is?), with lower temperatures, and depending on who's benchmarks you read, slightly lower or the same power consumption.