PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - controllers for planetside 2
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-25, 02:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
SnowieOwl
Private

Re: controllers for planetside 2

One mention of the Nostromo or similar? I find it funny how it seems like it's M/K or gamepad are the only options in so many PC gamers' minds. Buy a mouse? Why don't they buy actual gaming equipment instead of the desktop tools they had lying around their computer? ;P The mouse is great for many things, including most gaming. The keyboard has a lot of keys but WASD is an awful kludge. Want to move to something somewhere between 0 and 45 degrees ahead of you? Compensate with the mouse until you are looking directly at it and then directly move forward. It's something you do without thinking about it but it's still limiting to have to use the mouse as a crutch to control aim AND movement.

It might not mean that big of a difference in a FPS but then again, neither do fancy graphics. It's simply more enjoyable. Eight-direction, one-speed-fits-all WASD is unacceptably jerky for any game made since DOOM. So far, the G13 is the only real alternative I've seen that offers analog movement and ample buttons. If I'm playing a game that does not require too many buttons, I'll use an XBox 360 controller in my left hand and a mouse (with a few extra buttons) in the other. With analog movement and mouse aim, I don't even (necessarily) need to switch between controllers when moving from FPS to flight and back. It's a shame all games don't support this because so many PC players don't realize what they're missing by never trying analog movement and mouse together.

Last edited by SnowieOwl; 2012-12-25 at 04:47 AM.