PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Community Q&A With Higby
Thread: News: Community Q&A With Higby
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-08, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Community Q&A With Higby

Originally Posted by Owalpo View Post
Yes that is bad 3D spotting I know. I have covered this with you before, you are better than that.

What I am saying is a better more appropriate 3D spotting alternative that I would think would do well for the game.

Lets say for example it's limited to squads.

Squad leader has eyes on a tank. Tells his squad he wants it gone. So he spots it. Tank gets out of the squad leaders line of sight and the marker goes away.

Now you might say that is pointless. Why have the spotting system if it goes away the second the person who spotted it loses sight of it?

Simple, to allow players who don't want to talk, who don't have mics, who are deaf, who have lung cancer, who are socially awkward, what ever the case may be. It will allow them to communicate to their squad enemy locations, but it will not make everyone a homing missile running towards a orange dot on screen.

It gives PS2 a larger community, a stronger and more intelligent community at that. Would you rather have all the above people giving no tactical help or at the very least some? I take the latter.
That definitely may be a better implementation of the mechanic, but two things:
1. People 2D spotting is not "no tactical help".
2. There's no proof that 3D spotting brings a larger community, as any game that has ever had 3D spotting simply has it, period. There have been no massive community wide polls(although SOE could do it for sure through the beta interface), and no controlled studies have been performed on the issue, in other words, games that did or did not have it could just as easily have been more or less popular because of other features. Also, it doesn't make the community stronger or more intelligent, because the skills you have to have to find the enemy with your own eyes will not be developed if you don't have to find them with your own eyes.