PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Godlike Computer Help
View Single Post
Old 2004-04-07, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Cyanide
I thought AMD was changing to socket 939 shortly too. If I were you, I'd wait until motherboards with PCI Express cards start shipping, because if you get a PC now, you're going to need a new motherboard in 10 - 18 months when you will be looking for a new videocard again. This time of year is not the best time to be buying a high end system. Lots of companies role out new stuff in the early summer to early fall. I would definately wait a while if I were you.

If you absolutely can't wait for the new stuff to come out. I would recommend an Athlon64 over a P4 anything. MS's new OS will be 64 bit, and a lot of major game developers are developing their next generation engines for 64 bit processors. When that happens, your 64 bit AMD will smoke a P4 extreme edition.

In addition to Falcon NW you might want to check out Polywell.com too. They aren't as popular as Falcon but they're definately just as good.
yep your right AMD is goin to socket 939, and bringing dualchannel unbuffered/registered memory to all A64 lines so if may be worth while.

Ame goes for PCI express coming

Realy 64bit is a non issue becuse WinXP64 may not be out till early next year and by then Intel will be shiping its 64bit enabled CPU's (presscot core acctualy have it on chip just dissabled BTW, and it the same instructions as a64) longhorn is not a 64 bit system either it will be both. and that not out till late 2k5 to 2k6. The only system that support A64bit instruktions are linux, but i haven't heard anything about 64bit edditoons of games for linux

EDIT: Forgot to say Ait Was wrong all athlons are moving over to the new platform, except the FX51 and maybee the 2800+, even non-64bit athlons will be on it thogh some will also have other socket support(fx-53, and the regular 64's for a while)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2004-04-07 at 10:16 PM.